+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Tell me about your sensitive child

DS is a very sensitive boy (he's 7). We had various issues with him as a toddler and pre-schoolder (speech delay, lack of comprehension etc) but lots of early intervention and he's generally caught up. He started school this year and is thriving at school He still happily watches ABC2.

However, if he watches anything with some drama in it then he's in tears. I took DS and DD to see the Tinkerbell movie last week. DS was in tears at the beginning and in at least 3 spots he looked away from the school, buried his head into me and told me it was too scary. This afternoon he was teary watching Fireman Sam when he thought Fireman Sam wasn't going to save the day. He's bright and social but I'm a bit worried about just how sensitive he is. (I realise I'm probably being over-protective of him, I'm most really just looking for some reassurance that there are other kids out there equally as sensitive as him.)
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 12-07-2014 at 18:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have 3. Eldest dd, though she has grown out of it. At 5 she cried so hard at the sound of music because the kids had to go to bed and their was a party still going on.

ds1 (14) is my most sensitive child. He is very emotional and gets hurt very easily.

Ds2 (5) is very easily scared at TV shows but not sensitive in nature like ds1.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a sensitive 16 yr old DS if that helps. As far as I know he can switch off among his peers and doesnt cry like he would at other times.
    Hes happy and sociable just a bit sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-07-2014)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd6 is sensitive but not quite as empathetic/emotional as that. She's more inwardly focused, so she's very slow to put herself forward, takes failure very hard (or fear of failure), has heightened fears eg needles, potty training (at the time), noises (better as she got older).

She is also environmentally sensitive, so light, heat, cold etc. Getting her up in the morning is fun, first we have to deal with the bright light when I open the curtain, then we have to deal with the cold while getting dressed and standing on the floor. She doesn't do well in loud situations etc.

But as a pp mentioned, she's a lot better among her peers. She's so aware of herself that she doesn't want to show herself up by making a fuss, so she puts up with it at school etc, then hits us with it all at home.

Op you should get Elaine Aron's book "The sensitive child". It's a great read and gives lots of perspective that really helped me understand dd6 much better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I just crash to say, I caught the end of today's Fireman Sam and it was pretty full on! I asked DD to move out the way because I wanted to watch to see what happened!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-07-2014)