+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds as if you're doing a good job, and have wisely consulted advice.
    Maintain fluids. Small volumes, frequently, e.g. 20+ mLs every 10 minutes. Electrolyte solutions, such as Hydralyte or Gastrolyte are good. If he is not able to tolerate liquids, Hydralyte icy-poles are often tolerated better. Ice chips are often tolerated better than water.
    Fever can be controlled with either paracetamol or ibuprofen in liquid form. Both can be used together for fever within returning in less than 6 hours. Giving alternating medicines every 3 hours. Maximum of each medicine: 4 times a day. Remembering that repeated doses of ibuprofen should not be used without food, because of the risk of stomach injury from the ibuprofen.
    If he looks unwell he should be reviewed by a competent health professional.
    As you have said food should be offered when hungry. Allowing for my earlier comment on ibuprofen.
    As stated reduced urine output is an early sign of dehydration in children without chronic illness, e.g. diabetes. Later signs are dry mouth, dry eyes, no tears when crying, lethargy and reduced level of consciousness.
    If your concerned and do not have speedy access to a GP, go to your local Emergency Department for assessment and treatment.

Sent from my Note 3 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LyricsDad For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Off to emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing. Didn't you just go through this with your youngest recently? Stomach bugs can be so awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    You poor thing. Didn't you just go through this with your youngest recently? Stomach bugs can be so awful.

Yes! It turns out Ds2 is allergic to fish! Friday I gave him some fish and he was sick again!

With Ds1, he must have picked up something from kinder. He's been sick on/off for the last 5-6 weeks, it's never ending. This is the first horrible winter we've experienced so much illness.

We're here in emergency because he has a rash on his face/cheeks. Last night I called 000 regarding the rash and the healthcare paramedic I was transferred to didn't seem worried, but today the home visit GP wanted us to come to the hospital.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 13-07-2014 at 13:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw doc, most likely Ds has the (true) flu. Apparently young children are started to get it now. (Ds is achy too).

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

glad you went to the hospital. Kids go downhill so quickly.

Hope he gets better very soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Saw doc, most likely Ds has the (true) flu. Apparently young children are started to get it now. (Ds is achy too).
    Poor thing, keep your eye on him, my little one got pneumonia from the flu last year - it can happen fast and is scary (not trying to scare you, but just in case the Dr didn't tell you as I had no idea).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Poor thing, keep your eye on him, my little one got pneumonia from the flu last year - it can happen fast and is scary (not trying to scare you, but just in case the Dr didn't tell you as I had no idea).

Oh dear, thanks for letting me know. Would signs be persistent cough and lethargic? He has a cough now, but it's still early days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Oh dear, thanks for letting me know. Would signs be persistent cough and lethargic? He has a cough now, but it's still early days.
    That was definitely the flu symptoms, though not really a cough more a wheeze. The high heartrate, shortness of breath and consistently high temperatures signalled something more than flu. I would only let a flu really run a child down for 48hrs before getting them checked again (in hindsight)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are some nasty bugs going around this winter. We just got out of a week long stay with dd in hospital. She has a lung and respiratory infection and bronchiolitis.

With the hydration thing...the hospital told us they need 1ml I fluid for every kilo every 10 minutes. So dd is 8kgs and needs 8mls every 10 minutes. This is the best way to prevent dehydration.

The hospital would check by pressing on her chest for 5 seconds and then counting the time it takes for the colour to come back. If it takes more than 2-3 seconds they are dehydrated. Hope your LO is better soon.