+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default C sections! Give me advice!!!

I just found out today that im having a c section in a few weeks time. After a very traumatic natural delivery with my first child i am happy about it.

However tell me everything, tell me the things i will not read elsewhere, the things i will need to buy etc so i can be prepared!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nobody has any advice??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ummm. Be prepared that for the first day and bight you will need to buzz a nurse everytime you need something for the baby or to have the baby passed to you.

You may flood everywhere in bed and will need a nurse to change a pad for you and clean you up (i found it a bit confronting)

Your milk may take longer to come in (mine did every time)

Find out if they use stitches or staples (staples are more painful when you get up and down)

Ask for some coloxyl the day of, the spinal made me extremely constipated and trust me you dont wanna try and strain and push out a poop those first few days!

Hmm. I'll try think of more. Ive had 3 c sections

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in maxi dresses afterwards. Didn't touch the wound and were comfy.

I wish someone had prepared me for the possibility of the spinal not working and having to have a general- so that ppl knew what my wishes were when i couldn't voice them for myself. Obviously that's worse case but just in case.

Probably don't try and wash your hair during your first shower afterwards- I fainted 🙀 and as I came to I could hear all the nurses saying 'she tried to wash her hair!!!!' Haha

Drink as much water as you can without being sick...

Have someone take a million photos- looking back I don't remember half of the first couple of days so I'm glad I have them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody1982 For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given the choice of a drip that stays in your back and pumps in the pain killers but I said no, as I was happy to orally have stuff. Once the epidural wore off though, i found the pain hard to keep on top off. I have a very low pain threshold though!
    baggy pants are good! Loose undies or ones that sit very very low. I had a full wax down there so I wasn't being shaved on the day. Organise some help if possible with cleaning etc.
    good luck!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would wear normal undies but put a maternity pad over my wound and the undie waist elastic would keep it in place it was very gentle

Just another option i found giant granny undies meant it was hard to keep my actual pad for post partum bleeding in place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    -I agree with pp about being aware that spinals fail. I was prepared for everything except this!
    -You can start taking Movicol beforehand to prevent constipation and take some with you.
    -Stay on top of your pain. If your charted for regular pain relief take it, even if you're feeling ok.
    -If your procedure is in the afternoon be prepared to not be allowed to get up until the following day. This annoyed the heck out of me. Do get up though, you generally recover faster.
    -If you wax, it's not recommend (due to the risk of infection) in the week leading up to surgery.

Eta
    -The spinal can make you nauseas.
    -Despite possibly feeling good in the weeks following, TAKE IT EASY! I caused some trauma to my internal wound and ended up with a large and painful haematoma.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 11-07-2014 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved leggings or yoga pants. The firmness of them around my abdomen felt safe or something. I don't know I just felt better with that added pressure. Same with granny pants. So comfy.
    Make sure you take your pain stuff on time. Don't wait for pain then take it.
    Also if the physio visits and offers a tubi grip type bandage to put around your middle/c section area do it. .. It definitely helped me.

Honestly. ..recovery from my c section wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined in my head one would be. I was moving around a lot even though I was uncomfortable because Bub was in NICU so maybe that movement helped. The shower the day after felt amazing but I needed DH and a nurse to help me as I was quite shakey.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you need to cough or laugh support your c section wound with a pillow! A warm water bottle on the wound site helps with pain, and is comforting. Make sure you get up as soon as you can. Most hospitals have a chair in the shower, use it when you want to wash up, it really helps (and enables you to wash your hair!) Buzz, buzz, buzz whenever you need (sometimes nurses take a while to respond so buzz as soon as you need - even if it is to hand you your baby) don't be afraid to take pain medication as it can help you to get up and about faster which aids healing. Will come back if I think of anything else. Good luck (I have had 2 x c sections - both very different. 1 x epi, failure to progress/cpd and 1 x spinal, placenta previa) by far c section 2 - which was planned, was a walk in the park in comparison. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.

Granny panties were great, as were yoga pants as I felt the roll up bit was an extra bit of protection over my wound.

Definitely stay on top of the pain and take whatever meds are offered while still in hospital.

Get up as soon as you are advised you are allowed to. It makes a huge difference in recovery. My first c section I wasn't allowed up until day 3 (I needed blood transfusions) and it was a very painful experience (I cried getting out of bed for the first time, cried sitting down on the loo for the first time, had to have hubby help me shower, put clothes on etc). However, my 2nd c section I was up within 24 hours with minimal fuss, no pain or crying.

Don't listen to everyone's horror stories about c sections! Everyone is different. Before my first c section I had so many people telling me I wouldn't be able to breast feed because of it or would have great difficulty as my milk might not come in. My little man started feeding while I was in recovery and my milk came in on day 3. Just take it as it comes and try not to worry too much ahead of time about things that May or may not happen.

Ask what the policy at your hospital is with c sections so you know exactly what will happen. I think most allow bub to be placed on you for skin to skin while still in theatre and they can go with you to recovery, but I have read on here that this isn't the case for all hospitals. I was very lucky as both times (in 2 different hospitals) I got skin to skin while being stitched up and then hubby held them while we moved to recovery and then they were back on me for feeding while we were in recovery.

Once you are home, don't push yourself too much. Let others do the housework and things for you. I found if I pushed myself too much in the early weeks the pain would come back and my after birth bleeding would get a lot heavier. Better to let yourself recover and not do too much.

Don't forget your camera! We have the best photos and video footage of our boys being born (which hubby took) and some lovely photos of our first cuddles in theatre taken by our anaesthetist and a nurse.