+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Why should they offer milk? It's not recommended for children over one to have bottles of milk anyway. You could always send a carton of long life milk and an empty bottle?
    Can you please send the research that backs this statement up? My dd is on cows milk and I'm interested to hear why it's not recommended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's ok to give cows milk but just not in a bottle it's widely known and recommended by dentists and government health services that bottles should be taken away from 12 months as it can cause tooth decay. Plus children above one don't need 3/4 bottles of milk a day as it can fill them up too much and they may not eat enough solids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    Can you please send the research that backs this statement up? My dd is on cows milk and I'm interested to hear why it's not recommended.
    This is the most recent Australian infant feeding guidelines (2013)

- Milk and other drinks should be offered in a cup rather than a feeding bottle -

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    It's ok to give cows milk but just not in a bottle it's widely known and recommended by dentists and government health services that bottles should be taken away from 12 months as it can cause tooth decay. Plus children above one don't need 3/4 bottles of milk a day as it can fill them up too much and they may not eat enough solids.
    Yeah I got handed two different pamphlets at the 12 month check (even though I personally never bottled fed as I was breastfeeding) that said exactly this. Milk is fine but it said not from a bottle and limit it to 400ml of dairy a day- so including yogurt and cheese etc.

I personally don't care if people give their toddlers bottles of milk that's their choice but just saying that is the government recommendation.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-07-2014 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is the most recent Australian infant feeding guidelines (2013)

- Milk and other drinks should be offered in a cup rather than a feeding bottle -

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf
    I did a bit of a skim through.. Will read it properly when I have a chance. So basically cows milk is okay but just not in a bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep cows milk is fine - as a drink not formula substitute and preferably in a cup - the recommended intake for dairy is 1 and 1/2 serves a day up to age 3 then 2 serves after then - 1 serve is 250ml of milk or 200g tub of yogurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting. At my dd's 12 month check up the nurse told me that cows milk was more important then food and told me to try and give her an extra bottle to help with her weight gain. I found it odd, but didn't really look into it. What are the negatives of giving too much dairy ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dairy hinders iron absorption ( never give milk with iron rich foods) and is high in calories which can fill them up and stop them eating solids which is definitely more important than cows milk at that age - while cows milk does contain calcium and some b vitamins it contains no iron, no fibre, no vitamin c and only small amounts of other minerals which they need to get from solid food

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps Elijah's Mum, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-07-2014)