+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ex-teachers: what work do you do?

So I'm trying to figure out where I want to go career-wise, and thought it'd be useful to hear to stories of those who have moved on from teaching.

I went straight into teaching from uni, so it has been my only professional work thus far. I'm secondary trained (ESL & humanities), and have been relief teaching for a few years. I've mostly taught in high schools but have also done a little bit of relief in primary schools.

With a toddler, another child planned and a partner who runs his own business and is ALWAYS working, I don't want to get into the stress and time-commitment of full-time teaching. I'm having trouble though finding work to pursue that doesn't require significant retraining.

I know I'll likely have to go down that route, but would love to hear more from others who have already done so. Especially those who had only previously worked in education.

How did you decide what to pursue? What kind of training/study/volunteering etc. did it take to get into you new industry? How are you finding it?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Me and my DH are still teaching but are the only ones out of our friendship group we graduated with! So whilst its not me personally who has changed careers to give you some ideas this is what our friends are doing:

Firefighter with MFB
    Working for a teaching agency (CRT placements)
    Pharmaceutical sales rep
    Mental health outreach worker
    Medical receptionist
    Police officer
    Self employed in a roof cleaning business
    Working for an employment pathways office - places students in VET/VCAL work experience

none have had trouble finding employment in these fields, good luck in whatever you decide!

with your ESL background could teaching adults in a neighbourhood house setting be an option for you?