+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    He has been checked. They said he has a very mild tongue tie but that it is not affectingbhis ability to feed

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Try this test, preferably mid-feed (so, if he is TT, he's already a little tired).
    Place a clean finger, nail side down, into his mouth. He will start to suck on it, you will feel his tongue 'cup' around your fingertip. If after a little while you start to feel the tongue then pulling back, and his lower gum come into contact with your finger, he probably has posterior tongue tie. They can stick their tongue out enough to feed, but it takes a lot of work to keep their tongue out like that, so as they tire, it slips back and they are relying on suction alone (not the tongue 'milking') to get the milk out. Plus they are pretty much biting your nipple!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Try this test, preferably mid-feed (so, if he is TT, he's already a little tired).
    Place a clean finger, nail side down, into his mouth. He will start to suck on it, you will feel his tongue 'cup' around your fingertip. If after a little while you start to feel the tongue then pulling back, and his lower gum come into contact with your finger, he probably has posterior tongue tie. They can stick their tongue out enough to feed, but it takes a lot of work to keep their tongue out like that, so as they tire, it slips back and they are relying on suction alone (not the tongue 'milking') to get the milk out. Plus they are pretty much biting your nipple!
    Yes! Mine had a posterior tie and the hospital said he didn't have a tie at all, a private LC diagnosed it. His suction was so strong!

The thing is, it is effecting his ability to feed because it's effecting you and potentially your ability to keep feeding, so it's probably best to snip it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely go see a IBLC (lactation consultant) most midwives don't have lots of training in tongue ties and none in lip ties.

And tongue ties go hand in hand with lip ties. They are so common and your symptoms fit it perfectly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1405519550.678047.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1405519555.891183.jpg

Check bubs upper lip

Everyone had a frenulum but a lip tie is a short, thick and restrictive and attaches where the teeth will come out or even into the palate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There really is no such thing as a minor tongue tie. If something is making it difficult for a baby to eat and causing mum so much pain and frustration this should not be passed off as insignificant. There are many things that you have written that are classic and obvious symptoms of ties. Also be aware that tongue ties/lip ties can cause many issues other then breastfeeding problems so if you can get this dealt with by a healthcare provider who knows what they are doing now it might prevent lots of problems and stress in the future.
    I really do feel for you. Dealing with this with a new tiny baby really is very trying for a mummy and we all can see you are doing your very best. You are doing a great job and there are so many lovely ladies here who support you. Perhaps you could share with us what area you are in and someone could recommend a provider who knows about ties. It is so stressful to go and see someone who is not knowledgeable and then gives you crap advice. Good luck xxx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-07-2014),heartstringz  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best way to manage this?? - bub has now decided that during the night he just wants to feed constantly. I'll demand feed until he falls off my breast & falls asleep - usually I change his nappy then cause he can be very hard to wake up otherwise. He'll then want more food so I feed him again & he'll feed util he falls asleep again & falls off my breast. I cant wake him up so I assume he's done so I go to put him down & he just wakes up & wants more - often his dummy doesnt cut it. So k put him back on & it happens over & over again.

Im exhausted & cant keep sitting up all night waiting for him to wake up again & want more food, so whats the best thing to do?? I wont cosleep - not that that would make a difference anyway cause the second I go to put him down he just wakes up

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have any advice as co-sleeping isn't your thing but I hope you find a solution and get through it. Like other pp suggested it pays to look into all the possibilities and try different things to find what suit you and your bub.

My DS was like yours he wanted to be attached all the time. Started pretty much day 2 still at the hospital and he wouldn't sleep in the bassinet at night. I called the midwife and she tried to settle him but didn't work. She mentioned that he probably wants to comfort suck so I would be able to get some sleep if I had a dummy and wanted to use a it. I didn't have a dummy and I was happy for him to comfort suck so that's how co-sleeping started for me.

Luckily I didn't have too much trouble with my nipples so I just let him suck as much as he wanted. During the first month or so he would cry so I feed him one breast and he falls asleep so I let him sleep in my arm during the day. I didn't bother with burping him if he was asleep as I've read somewhere that some ppl don't bother with burping if they are bf'ing. But I did burp if he's awake between switching the breasts.

Co sleeping (bed sharing in my case) wasn't planned at all for me as I was so scared of suffocating a baby. I had a bassinet beside my bed at home as well as a cot but we haven't used them so far...! DS doesn't wake up when co-sleeping because I feed him while lying down on our bed and when he is asleep I just get out of bed very quietly so I won't wake him up.

But as others said it was really hard during the first 3 weeks. I barely had time to have a shower, go to the toilet, or get changed! But it got significantly easier after 6 weeks and he was happy without being attached to my breast the whole time! He still wouldn't sleep on his own for very long at 3 months during the day but he sleeps ok at night. I can usually leave him sleeping alone for 4-5 hours before he starts crying.

I hope you find a way that works for both of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    @heartstringz, I haven't read all the replies but has he been checked by an IBCLC for a tongue and upper lip tie? It sounds a LOT like what I experienced with DS. We were having two hours feeds, he'd fall asleep at the boob, constant feeding because he couldn't transfer enough milk. We had almost all of the symptoms but I don't think he's ever even been checked for one or certainly nobody in any of the three hospital nurseries he was in after birth ever mentioned it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's been checked for tongue tie

I cant believe the only thing to do is to cosleep. I never heard anyone say that I would have to do that when I was pregnant or before I had a child. Even the child health nurses at the feeding clinic said the only thing I could do was feed him in bed & fall asleep together or hold him in a recliner & go to sleep.

I guess I'll have to just leave him to cry so I can actually get some sleep, as opposed to sitting up the entire night & most of the day. I feel like such a bad mother doing that but I honestly dont know what else to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you looked into trying the Bednest, another side-car bassinet or side-carring your cot? The change was immediate when we got the bednest, I could lay him down and he'd stay asleep because I was so close, place my hand on him and stay asleep, etc. it's co-sleeping without the fear because they're in their own safe sleep environment. I know a girl in here got one after she saw my recommendation and loves it, she PMed me a thank-you . It was by far my favorite and most used baby product.

But two-hourly feeding is also normal the first weeks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-07-2014)