+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw somebody suggest earlier that it shouldn't hurt if you're doing it right. I disagree and I used to give moms this advice. I had pain until 7-8 weeks, not as bad as the first two weeks when he had tongue tie but it was still bad enough to where I hated feeding him. Everyone kept telling me it shouldn't hurt if he's latched properly, that I'm doing something wrong which led me to constantly repositioning him, making him unlatch, etc to try and get the illusive pain-free latch. It stressed me out more. Finally a friend said sometimes it just hurts until around 7 weeks when you both are finally really good at it and also they are bigger, which means they're mouth is bigger. She was right. And her telling me that helped me make it through the next few weeks. It helped me feel normal, like I was doing it right and it changed my mindset. I started making my goal to at least breastfeed until 8 weeks and if I still hated it then then I'd look into formula. Every day I'd just say to myself, 'just make it through today.' Finally 8 weeks came and it was pain-free. His mouth had gotten big enough to where it didn't feel like a clamp.

I agree, there were times I wanted permission from somebody to be able to quit. There's so much pressure to continue. So if you need to, then stop. Do what's best for you.

But if you want to keep going just give yourself little goals, just make it through today or just make it through the week. It does get easier.

In regards to pain. My nipples healed and stopped getting damaged once I fixed my latch and his tongue was snipped. But there was still pain, like I said because his mouth needed to get bigger but also because the first week or two of breastfeeding your nipples can get bruised, so even if they don't look damaged the bruising still has to heal as well. If you're nipples are continuing to get damaged than something is wrong with your latch. But if they heal and it still hurts it may just be like how it was for me and also that you have some bruising that needs to heal.

I found breastmilk the biggest healer for the nipples. Cream did nothing for me.

The football hold also helped make the pain bearable.

Also, DS saw a cranial osteopath which helped a little with his mouth opening wider. He'd had a ventouse delivery which can make them feel a bit like they have whiplash and make it a little painful to open their mouth wider.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 13-07-2014 at 23:43.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (14-07-2014),heartstringz  (13-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (14-07-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-07-2014),Stretched  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Im still reallly struggling with the cycle I feel like im stuck in & the lack of sleep. DH takes him when he can but cause DS always wants food & I cant express its a little hard

Im trying my best to enjoy newborn cuddles but I literally only get them when he is asleep I sit & watch everyone else hugging him when he is awake & has his eyes open & it just makes me sad. I simply cant hold him when he is awake without him screaming for food

I feel like im doing something wrong, I dont understand how this cycle is sustainable long term & why he wont sleep in his bed:

bub wakes for a feed - change - feed on one side till bub falls off breast - bring bub to chest for 10 mins approx to burp - after 5 mins bub is already cracking up & doing feeding ques - feed bub on other breast - bub falls off & is fast asleep - raise to chest - bub may stay asleep, if so take bub & wrap & lay in bassinet - bub wakes, does feeding ques & begins crying. Cycle begins again.

Or bub will wake when being burped after feeding off both breasts, do feeding ques & start to crack up, I put him back on the breast & the cycle repeats - feed,burp,cry,feed, burp,cry on & on & on

How can I make him go to sleep & stay asleep, even if its only for an hour??

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One thing I did differently is changed his nappy between breasts, not before feeding him. That way he was really fully awake for the second breast.

Have you tried a dummy yet? There's an avent one that we use that is meant to be best for breastfeeding. I'll find the link. We had to order them from the states.

Eta: as far as sustainable.... He won't be like this forever, it will get easier. If you genuinely feel it's not or it won't then see your GP about silent reflux or maybe look into formula top-ups or mixed feeding. Some girls on here have a lot of knowledge on that.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-07-2014 at 00:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok ill try changing him between breasts

I havent tried a dummy yet, we are still not sure what the best thing is. Ive been told that you shouldnt use a dummy until breastfeeding is well established & I wouldnt say its well established yet, im still having a lot of issues

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ok ill try changing him between breasts

I havent tried a dummy yet, we are still not sure what the best thing is. Ive been told that you shouldnt use a dummy until breastfeeding is well established & I wouldnt say its well established yet, im still having a lot of issues

Yes, I didn't use a dummy until after two weeks because I was worried about nipple confusion and effecting my supply. But if you're not coping it may be best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here's the dummy, it makes their lips flay out like they need to while feeding and he also scoops his tongue in the same way he's meant to when breastfeeding. It hasn't caused any nipple confusion.

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks everyone. Im still reallly struggling with the cycle I feel like im stuck in & the lack of sleep. DH takes him when he can but cause DS always wants food & I cant express its a little hard

Im trying my best to enjoy newborn cuddles but I literally only get them when he is asleep I sit & watch everyone else hugging him when he is awake & has his eyes open & it just makes me sad. I simply cant hold him when he is awake without him screaming for food

I feel like im doing something wrong, I dont understand how this cycle is sustainable long term & why he wont sleep in his bed:

bub wakes for a feed - change - feed on one side till bub falls off breast - bring bub to chest for 10 mins approx to burp - after 5 mins bub is already cracking up & doing feeding ques - feed bub on other breast - bub falls off & is fast asleep - raise to chest - bub may stay asleep, if so take bub & wrap & lay in bassinet - bub wakes, does feeding ques & begins crying. Cycle begins again.

Or bub will wake when being burped after feeding off both breasts, do feeding ques & start to crack up, I put him back on the breast & the cycle repeats - feed,burp,cry,feed, burp,cry on & on & on

How can I make him go to sleep & stay asleep, even if its only for an hour??

Oh Hun, he's sounding more and more like a silent reflux bub.

Like with my DD, it can be caused by many things but one is a dairy intolerance (either the lactose or the cows milk protein) where the stomach rejects it, it turns acidic and burns as it comes up the throat, but its silent as it doesn't come out their mouths.

Id suggest cutting all dairy out of your diet and see how that works. Its really hard as its not just cutting out milk. Butter, cream, yoghurt, chocolate etc, so many foods have it in them, so you need to check lables on everything.

I would have a look at the Reflux Infants Support Association website - or your DH or a friend look, it has so much info and support. Also maybe get to a GP. Though they can be quite useless though as many don't know enough about silent reflux and with such a young bub with a first time mum you may get given the run around.

I really hope its not that, but just preparing you in case it is

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Oh Hun, he's sounding more and more like a silent reflux bub.

Like with my DD, it can be caused by many things but one is a dairy intolerance (either the lactose or the cows milk protein) where the stomach rejects it, it turns acidic and burns as it comes up the throat, but its silent as it doesn't come out their mouths.

Id suggest cutting all dairy out of your diet and see how that works. Its really hard as its not just cutting out milk. Butter, cream, yoghurt, chocolate etc, so many foods have it in them, so you need to check lables on everything.

I would have a look at the Reflux Infants Support Association website - or your DH or a friend look, it has so much info and support. Also maybe get to a GP. Though they can be quite useless though as many don't know enough about silent reflux and with such a young bub with a first time mum you may get given the run around.

I really hope its not that, but just preparing you in case it is
    I agree with this my DS is a reflux baby and feeds more than his siblings did sometimes every 20 mins I was making a bottle they do it to sooth the burning and pain that silent reflux brings. He also has cmpi and that's what caused the reflux maybe take him to the doctor and ask if it's possible he has silent reflux they may prescribe losec but I found Zantac worked better. Also try an elimination diet just in case it's caused by cmpi my DSs silent reflux settled once he was put on soy formula this isn't the case for every baby as soy formula can have a cross reaction with the protein. Having a reflux baby of any sort is hard work. Also take a look at the signs and symptoms on www.reflux.org.au just as a check list it helped us get the right diagnosis for our DS. Good luck darl.

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you had bub checked for tongue and lip ties? Sounds like one. Especially tiring during feeds and falling asleep but waking shortly after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has been checked. They said he has a very mild tongue tie but that it is not affectingbhis ability to feed