+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 175
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,649
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw somebody suggest earlier that it shouldn't hurt if you're doing it right. I disagree and I used to give moms this advice. I had pain until 7-8 weeks, not as bad as the first two weeks when he had tongue tie but it was still bad enough to where I hated feeding him. Everyone kept telling me it shouldn't hurt if he's latched properly, that I'm doing something wrong which led me to constantly repositioning him, making him unlatch, etc to try and get the illusive pain-free latch. It stressed me out more. Finally a friend said sometimes it just hurts until around 7 weeks when you both are finally really good at it and also they are bigger, which means they're mouth is bigger. She was right. And her telling me that helped me make it through the next few weeks. It helped me feel normal, like I was doing it right and it changed my mindset. I started making my goal to at least breastfeed until 8 weeks and if I still hated it then then I'd look into formula. Every day I'd just say to myself, 'just make it through today.' Finally 8 weeks came and it was pain-free. His mouth had gotten big enough to where it didn't feel like a clamp.

    I agree, there were times I wanted permission from somebody to be able to quit. There's so much pressure to continue. So if you need to, then stop. Do what's best for you.

    But if you want to keep going just give yourself little goals, just make it through today or just make it through the week. It does get easier.

    In regards to pain. My nipples healed and stopped getting damaged once I fixed my latch and his tongue was snipped. But there was still pain, like I said because his mouth needed to get bigger but also because the first week or two of breastfeeding your nipples can get bruised, so even if they don't look damaged the bruising still has to heal as well. If you're nipples are continuing to get damaged than something is wrong with your latch. But if they heal and it still hurts it may just be like how it was for me and also that you have some bruising that needs to heal.

    I found breastmilk the biggest healer for the nipples. Cream did nothing for me.

    The football hold also helped make the pain bearable.

    Also, DS saw a cranial osteopath which helped a little with his mouth opening wider. He'd had a ventouse delivery which can make them feel a bit like they have whiplash and make it a little painful to open their mouth wider.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 13-07-2014 at 23:43.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (14-07-2014),heartstringz  (13-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (14-07-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-07-2014),Stretched  (14-07-2014)

  3. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    2,408
    Thanks
    928
    Thanked
    468
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Im still reallly struggling with the cycle I feel like im stuck in & the lack of sleep. DH takes him when he can but cause DS always wants food & I cant express its a little hard

    Im trying my best to enjoy newborn cuddles but I literally only get them when he is asleep I sit & watch everyone else hugging him when he is awake & has his eyes open & it just makes me sad. I simply cant hold him when he is awake without him screaming for food

    I feel like im doing something wrong, I dont understand how this cycle is sustainable long term & why he wont sleep in his bed:

    bub wakes for a feed - change - feed on one side till bub falls off breast - bring bub to chest for 10 mins approx to burp - after 5 mins bub is already cracking up & doing feeding ques - feed bub on other breast - bub falls off & is fast asleep - raise to chest - bub may stay asleep, if so take bub & wrap & lay in bassinet - bub wakes, does feeding ques & begins crying. Cycle begins again.

    Or bub will wake when being burped after feeding off both breasts, do feeding ques & start to crack up, I put him back on the breast & the cycle repeats - feed,burp,cry,feed, burp,cry on & on & on

    How can I make him go to sleep & stay asleep, even if its only for an hour??

    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,649
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One thing I did differently is changed his nappy between breasts, not before feeding him. That way he was really fully awake for the second breast.

    Have you tried a dummy yet? There's an avent one that we use that is meant to be best for breastfeeding. I'll find the link. We had to order them from the states.

    Eta: as far as sustainable.... He won't be like this forever, it will get easier. If you genuinely feel it's not or it won't then see your GP about silent reflux or maybe look into formula top-ups or mixed feeding. Some girls on here have a lot of knowledge on that.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-07-2014 at 00:11.

  5. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    2,408
    Thanks
    928
    Thanked
    468
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok ill try changing him between breasts

    I havent tried a dummy yet, we are still not sure what the best thing is. Ive been told that you shouldnt use a dummy until breastfeeding is well established & I wouldnt say its well established yet, im still having a lot of issues

    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,649
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ok ill try changing him between breasts

    I havent tried a dummy yet, we are still not sure what the best thing is. Ive been told that you shouldnt use a dummy until breastfeeding is well established & I wouldnt say its well established yet, im still having a lot of issues

    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes, I didn't use a dummy until after two weeks because I was worried about nipple confusion and effecting my supply. But if you're not coping it may be best.

  7. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,649
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here's the dummy, it makes their lips flay out like they need to while feeding and he also scoops his tongue in the same way he's meant to when breastfeeding. It hasn't caused any nipple confusion.

    http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

  8. #77
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,865
    Thanks
    5,072
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks everyone. Im still reallly struggling with the cycle I feel like im stuck in & the lack of sleep. DH takes him when he can but cause DS always wants food & I cant express its a little hard

    Im trying my best to enjoy newborn cuddles but I literally only get them when he is asleep I sit & watch everyone else hugging him when he is awake & has his eyes open & it just makes me sad. I simply cant hold him when he is awake without him screaming for food

    I feel like im doing something wrong, I dont understand how this cycle is sustainable long term & why he wont sleep in his bed:

    bub wakes for a feed - change - feed on one side till bub falls off breast - bring bub to chest for 10 mins approx to burp - after 5 mins bub is already cracking up & doing feeding ques - feed bub on other breast - bub falls off & is fast asleep - raise to chest - bub may stay asleep, if so take bub & wrap & lay in bassinet - bub wakes, does feeding ques & begins crying. Cycle begins again.

    Or bub will wake when being burped after feeding off both breasts, do feeding ques & start to crack up, I put him back on the breast & the cycle repeats - feed,burp,cry,feed, burp,cry on & on & on

    How can I make him go to sleep & stay asleep, even if its only for an hour??

    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app



    Oh Hun, he's sounding more and more like a silent reflux bub.

    Like with my DD, it can be caused by many things but one is a dairy intolerance (either the lactose or the cows milk protein) where the stomach rejects it, it turns acidic and burns as it comes up the throat, but its silent as it doesn't come out their mouths.

    Id suggest cutting all dairy out of your diet and see how that works. Its really hard as its not just cutting out milk. Butter, cream, yoghurt, chocolate etc, so many foods have it in them, so you need to check lables on everything.


    I would have a look at the Reflux Infants Support Association website - or your DH or a friend look, it has so much info and support. Also maybe get to a GP. Though they can be quite useless though as many don't know enough about silent reflux and with such a young bub with a first time mum you may get given the run around.

    I really hope its not that, but just preparing you in case it is

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    heartstringz  (14-07-2014)

  10. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mildura
    Posts
    1,565
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Oh Hun, he's sounding more and more like a silent reflux bub.

    Like with my DD, it can be caused by many things but one is a dairy intolerance (either the lactose or the cows milk protein) where the stomach rejects it, it turns acidic and burns as it comes up the throat, but its silent as it doesn't come out their mouths.

    Id suggest cutting all dairy out of your diet and see how that works. Its really hard as its not just cutting out milk. Butter, cream, yoghurt, chocolate etc, so many foods have it in them, so you need to check lables on everything.


    I would have a look at the Reflux Infants Support Association website - or your DH or a friend look, it has so much info and support. Also maybe get to a GP. Though they can be quite useless though as many don't know enough about silent reflux and with such a young bub with a first time mum you may get given the run around.

    I really hope its not that, but just preparing you in case it is
    I agree with this my DS is a reflux baby and feeds more than his siblings did sometimes every 20 mins I was making a bottle they do it to sooth the burning and pain that silent reflux brings. He also has cmpi and that's what caused the reflux maybe take him to the doctor and ask if it's possible he has silent reflux they may prescribe losec but I found Zantac worked better. Also try an elimination diet just in case it's caused by cmpi my DSs silent reflux settled once he was put on soy formula this isn't the case for every baby as soy formula can have a cross reaction with the protein. Having a reflux baby of any sort is hard work. Also take a look at the signs and symptoms on www.reflux.org.au just as a check list it helped us get the right diagnosis for our DS. Good luck darl.


    Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

    Bluebirdgirl  (14-07-2014)

  12. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,776
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked
    1,483
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you had bub checked for tongue and lip ties? Sounds like one. Especially tiring during feeds and falling asleep but waking shortly after.

  13. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    2,408
    Thanks
    928
    Thanked
    468
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He has been checked. They said he has a very mild tongue tie but that it is not affectingbhis ability to feed

    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Cluster feeding, when does it stop??
    By loulou21 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-04-2014, 02:53
  2. How to stop bedtime breast feeding?
    By debsch in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:14
  3. should we be worried ... wont stop eating
    By DaveTTC in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 18:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!