Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That would be great, thanks!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lansinoh didn't help me for sore nipples. What I did find that are amazing (and lots of my friends recommend) are Multi Mum compresses! They are little pads that you put in and leave in your bra.

They are safe for babies (so no need to wash your nipples before a feed) and so soothing. I used them for damaged nipples when my DD started biting me. They really helped me heal faster.

You just need to do whatever you can to get through the days at this stage. Here is an article my friend sent me about the "fourth trimester" when I was at the same stage as you: http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregn...-newborns.html.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we really tried from the beginning to help my DD understand the difference between day and night. At night we didn't really talk to her and we kept everything dark and quiet. During the day we kept things light and would "play" with her more. I think it takes awhile to get them to understand that night time is sleep time!

It does sound like you are doing a wonderful job - it is just the most exhausting, stressful time and people really don't warn you about it. But it will pass!
    Last edited by hollypolly; 13-07-2014 at 09:53.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (13-07-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Lansinol did nothing for me as well. The only thing that helped was putting some EBM then sunshine (without trying to flash the neighbours), even if it was only for 1-2 minutes. Different holds also helped, eg the football hold.

I know how exhausting it is. I remember when someone suggested the football hold when I had DS and I thought "FFS, I just want to master one hold before I get all creative!!" In hindsight it would have been a good idea to try.

I bet you're sick of always having your boobs out. Labour and birth you're undressed from the waist down for all the world to see then after the birth you've got at least one boob out constantly.

Re BF advice - I would suggest only taking on board advice from an LC or the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA). GPs, Paeds, midwives can be very out of date with their advice. The ABA has a 24/7 helpline - the number is 1800 686 268. You don't have to be member of the ABA to use the service.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/breastfeeding-helpline

When DH takes bubs does he walk around with him? I found DD would only accept being held by DH if he was walking around with him (ie, not sitting down on a couch).

Newborns are often nocturnal in the first few weeks, they have to learn day and night. They are used to being in a dark place.

You are doing an AWESOME job - every feed you give your baby is another win. No doubt you feel like sh1t at the moment but you're a champion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG if someone had given me that article about the 4th trimester before, I would have kissed their feet and named my second child after them! I just read it now and I am 27 weeks pg with our 2nd. I have already been looking into babywearing a bit more, certainly for the first few months but this article has just cemented what I had been thinking and I wish I knew it the first time round! The best advice we were given was the 'just do what works' anything to get some sleep for both you and bub. I am not one for co-sleeping but on the nights DD was up and down constantly, DH got booted to the lounge room and DD got his spot! Also re BF - I agree with taking on board the advice of a LC - mine was a wealth of useful information when I needed that extra bit of support.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to my2monkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have u had your home visit with the mother care nurse?

Perhaps she can help.

The one I had with bub no 3 was/is brilliant. She stayed longer and settled ds for me and really have me good advice.

OP do you have any other family around? Maybe they can help, it's nice sometimes just to have company so that you don't feel so alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did he have a hard time born? Sounds so much like my first, but I wasnt having any issues with sore nipples so I just kept feeding him. Found out many years later (when looking up reflux because of my 5th) that he had silent reflux and that his dramatic birth (crowning for so long he was born with a lump on his head) may have been helped by seeing a chiro or an osteopath.
    I really feel for you with the sore nipples. I am one of the lucky women that never get any more than a blister and because I'll bed share I just feed them. All of my babies have been velcro babies and all but one were gassy or reflux. I understand the frustration.
    If I had such sore nipples though, as pro breastfeeding as I am I think myself I would be looking at formula, til my nipples healed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hugs OP, I was in absolute shock that first week home with my DD, before I had her, I had no idea what it would be like. I slept on my couch with her in my arms for a week until I slept her in her pram which was on an angle and that really helped.

Reason being she ended up having silent reflux so being up on an angle really helped her.

Whilst his behaviour is totally normal for a 6 day old, keep an eye on things. I was told with DD by everyone - my midwife, the ABA, GPs, maternal health nurses how normal her behaviour was, but as other babies were in fact growing out of this stage by 4-6 weeks, my DD only got worse.

It was from the silent reflux but I was continued to be told it was normal baby behaviour though in my heart of hearts, I knew it wasn't normal.

She ended up having a cows milk protein intolerance which caused the silent reflux.

So what I'm saying is, it will be hard and for now its about taking each day as it comes and finding what works for you and your DS. So I cant really give advice as nothing worked for my DD, but your DS sounds exactly like my DD, so if you're finding he doesn't get better, keep silent reflux in the back of your mind just in case.

My DD is now almost 2.5 but she's still dairy intolerant, as she was 4.5 months / 18 weeks before she was diagnosed and I swear it did irreparable damage to her gut.

Good luck OP, I hope each day and night gets easier for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    My newborn will feed & then fall off my breast & is fast asleep. So I go to put him in his bassinet & as soon as I put him down he wakes up & screams for more food.

I seem to have a good supply & im pretty sure he has a good latch as im currently using nipple shields under the advice of the LC

Im getting next to no sleep & my nipples are killing me even with the nipple shields

Also, when he screams after I put him down its hard to get him to latch properly for ages cause he's so distressed & will not take his hands out of his mouth, or he keeps grabbing the nipple shield & pulling it off but he wont latch at all without it. No problems getting him to latch initially, just after ive tried to put him down.

So basically i feed him, he falls asleep on me, then i just have to sit here trying to stay awake for as long as it takes for him to wake up again & want more food. This can be ages if i dont try to put him down. Im not into co-sleeping, which is all the ABA helpline could suggest.

I didnt expect to have to feed basically non stop, I expected to at least get a couple of hours sleep. Im absolutely exhausted & ready to just put him on formula. What am I doing wrong??

I don't breastfeed but I just wanted to jump in and let you know that formula feeding doesn't make it any easier I have formula fed all of my babies and for the first few weeks the longest I got between feeds was 1-2hours!! And all the sterilising and formula preparing.

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (14-07-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (13-07-2014),BlueLips  (13-07-2014),giggle berry  (13-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (14-07-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only easier thing about formula is that someone else can feed the baby. Otherwise its a lot of hard work too and can upset them and give them gas too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all of the other comments, but he sounds like a perfectly normal newborn bub. My daughter was exactly the same. Hang in there, you are doing a fabulous job. Do some reading on the fourth trimester if you haven't already (someone has probably already suggested it). He is only going to be a tiny newborn for such a short period of time.. Relax, forget about everything else and enjoy your newborn cuddles.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post: