+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Awesome news! You slowly figure your bub out and what works for you and it gets easier.

Just a side note...if you are interested in sidecar cots...do you already have a normal cot? It is possible to sidecar normal cots to your bed if you think it's something you'd like to pursue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok scratch that, hes back to being completely horrible again tonight. He has a lot of wind & seems to have a bit of an upset tummy but he just wants to feed constantly. If i dont feed him he screams to the point of becoming really distressed but if I do feed him he gets even more gassy & windy & screams because of that.

The nurse at 13health said not to feed him constantly because its most likely making his belly worse, but he becomes so distressed if I diont feed him constantly - screaming & screaming, banging his head into my chest/shoulder to the point im worried hes going to hurt himself etc

Im at my wits end & so is DH. We have no idea what we are meant to do - whether I should just demand feed 24/7 or whether I should feed him every 2-3 hours & have him inconsolable inbetween.

Having him basically attached to my breasts 24/7 is murder on my nipples. Im already using nipple shields but when he is constantly feeding they just dont get a chance to heal. Breastmilk does nothing, lanolin does nothing, heat & cold packs help until next time I have to feed him but then the pain comes back. Im wincing & almost crying whenever I feed now & I can barely touch my nipples. Its really painful to wear a bra or top of any kind & its impossible to wear nursing pads. What can I do?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,

Firstly, get some lansinoh cream if you haven't already! It is a god spend available at all supermarkets.

I know it's really important to "demand feed" in the newborn days but my paediatrician gave me the same advice- ie spacing feeds to around 3 hourly as I was creating a vicious cycle of her feeding too much so she'd get a sore belly and wanting to suck as she'd have a sore belly (hence why I gave a dummy to help space feeds). I had been referred to him as dd was terribly unsettled and always wanting to suck and I was feeding what seemed like hourly for the first few days. It was day 13 and I had lost the plot! He also advised using a dummy too. Until then I had used it but always offered boob first worried about my supply and nipple confusion. You can try it for a day or two to see if it helps, it's very easy to build back up your supply if it's not working.
    I also never fed dd in bed,and I was adamant not to co-sleep as well. I actually slept in the lounge room with dd for the first couple of months (no room in her room for me to sleep).
    I also used heaps of infants friend/colic relief etc in those first few weeks desperate for relief.
    Also keeping her slightly elevated- I found dd settled much better in her swing as she preferred to be upright.
    Another thing to look into is probiotics which I believe helped my dd.
    You will eventually find your way, what works for one doesn't work for another.

If it's any consolation dd was a nightmare newborn for the first 6 weeks but blossomed into one of the most happiest and easiest toddlers.

I also recommend the book the Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr Karp- I wish I had it in the early days. It addresses how to soothe and settle them.

One day at a time, this stage WILL end xxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-07-2014 at 05:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive tried lansinoh crwam, it doesnt help

Thanks for the recommendation of the book I will check it out

I hope something changes soon cause I cant keep doing this

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Hamilicious  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    both my kids were "owls" for the first 3ish weeks, basically awake all night and dozed in the day....very frustrating for tired new parents.
    I can't cosleep, feeding lying down just didn't feel right so I had an armchair in the babies room (was a tight fit) but meant minimal movement around the house and no lighting (except nightlight on monitor). They eventually learn day from night. I demand fed but also used a dummy with no supply issues.

No magic fix for you but it will end, a few weeks isn't a long time (and feeds will stretch out)but when you are sleep deprived it's torture I know.
    Hang in there xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP I wish I could just come over right now, give you a hug abs send you to bed whilst taking your bubs out for a walk for a couple of hours (nice and rugged up!). Could it be possible your DH could do this, or family/friends? I know I struggled to let anyone help as I was wirried dd would cry and want me/my boobs.

I will NEVER forget the sheet exhaustion, the chaos and the building panic that I couldn't keep going on like this. But I kept going somehow. It's very very normal to be where you are at this point- you're not a failure xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH takes DS when he is able to get him off my chest without him waking up.

Although, saying that, I have been sitting here holding DS since 4am & supposedly DH was going to get up at 5am to try & take him & let me go to sleep (I would have had a max of 2hrs broken sleep tonight). Its now 6.15am & DH is still asleep & im still sitting here, unable to move to wake DH without waking DS. Im literally holding my eye-lids open so I dont fall asleep & drop DS. Sometimes I really hate DH!

DS does the same thing re demand feeding & not sleeping regardless of whether its day or night, so I basically have him 24/7

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe it'd be a good idea to look into a post-partum doula or night nanny not just for a little help and rest but also to help with guidance and settling techniques? They could really help you feel a but more in control.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will seriously look into that, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can PM you some places I used to work for to see if they have anybody in your area.