+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ah yes the infants friend! Don't bother trying to get drops into a baby's mouth, measure it onto a plastic spoon and tip it in

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Sabre  (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first thought was wind or he needs a dummy. I'd be trying to get him burped more. I found the Brauer's colic relief was great. My DS got clolic and I found putting him on his side to sleep was better for him. I put two rolled up towels beside him, below arm pits so he wouldn't roll. Also raised his bassinet mattress so more angle.
    I had to change diff positions to burp him so sitting up, over my shoulder and sometimes over my lap or arm.
    He also had a dummy as it gave him relief with the colic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh you poor thing OP. I had the same issue with DS, don't worry you are doing everything you can. In our case DS had silent reflux (diagnosed at 4 weeks) which meant he wanted to continuously suck in order for him to be soothed. I was a wits end and after seeing a LC she was the one who actually suggested a dummy to help soothe. I was totally against it until she suggested it and it really did help. ( I used a Cherry shaped one only so it was most like the breast).
    I was too using a shield (I was red raw and cracked from bad early latch) I was also pumping after feeds to use as top ups as he too was falling asleep after about 5 minutes of sucking. It's was so draining but the dummy did help and he did improve (may be a little on his own too as feeding became easier).
    I had an early bub so he was very little and had a hard time sucking because he got so tired. I was also not interested in co sleeping, for the fear of SIDS (family history). We raised the end of the bassinet to help digestion and for comfort during sleeping.
    Feeding was stressful at the start but it did get better I promise! I hope things are gradually improving for you. Good luck x

ETA: I was still breastfeeding until 2 weeks ago. It didn't interfere with BF much at all. We gave it to him at 2 weeks old and he is now 9 months. He still has it but is not 'addicted' to it, he only has it to sleep.

ME 28 Mild endo, Mild pcos : DH 33
    TTC # 1 : 3 years : OI x 3 BFN 2012 : IUI x 3 BFN 2012 IVF # 1 BFP! 2013 DS 29/9/13
    Last edited by TeamCarts; 11-07-2014 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So much good advice. I just wanted to also reassure you that this will pass. Breastfeeding is difficult to establish in the first few days or weeks but eventually you will be able to do it one handed and with your eyes closed!
    I am not going to tell you what to do but I will just share what worked for me when my bub was first born.
    I would feed feed feed all evening. I would keep bub naked to keep him awake and try to really fill him up. Then when we went to bed for the night I did all the feeds in my dimly lot bedroom. It helped keep him clam and let him learn the difference between night and day. When bub cried I would just roll over and grab him. I fed propped up in bed with lots of pillows. When I started the feed DH would go and heat up a wheat bag and put it in the basenette. Feed both sides for as long as bub kept going and then when he was really sleepy I would change nappy and try again. DH would pat my back to remind me I was still awake! When bub was all done I would put him back in his pre warmed bed. If he didn't settle I would pass him to DH to bounce on the fitball. And repeat until 7am. Bub was happiest first thing in the morning so after that first feed DH would take him to the lounge room while I stayed in bed. That hour sleep was the best quality sleep I got all day!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

At this point we dont have a side cot so will have to persevere with the bassinet at least for the time being.

I wont feed in bed. With how tired I am I can 100% guarantee that I would fall asleep & that could be really dangerous. Im fighting to stay awake while nursing in the chair but at least its not as warm & comfortable as bed. We dont oen a chair that I could sleep in without risking him falling off my lap - & regardless of what is good or works for others, I need something that works with what we already have currently

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you think you might try? Is your husband able to feed him over night so you can sleep? If you cant yet express enough you could use formula. I don't know that his behavior will change much for a bit as most newborns wake frequently at night.
    Usually they start going longer stretches around 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such early days. My dd was so so so unsettled the first 6 weeks. I cut out chocolate, onion and garlic, got some infacol and I would breastfeed her then give her to Dh. He would then take her out and she would settle better away from me.

I still demand fed with unlimited access to the breast, it's so important from birth-6weeks to establish your supply.

To give you some hope I had a colicy, unsettled bub for 6 weeks. By 10 weeks she was sleeping 12 hours straight a night, it will get easier.

I remember the sheer soul crushing exhaustion, I used to get depressed thinking about the night to come.

Have you had the lactation consultant check for tongue and lip ties? Does bsby make popping or clicking noises when attached?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks ladies

At this point we dont have a side cot so will have to persevere with the bassinet at least for the time being.

I wont feed in bed. With how tired I am I can 100% guarantee that I would fall asleep & that could be really dangerous. Im fighting to stay awake while nursing in the chair but at least its not as warm & comfortable as bed. We dont oen a chair that I could sleep in without risking him falling off my lap - & regardless of what is good or works for others, I need something that works with what we already have currently

It'll be even more dangerous if you fall asleep while feeding him in a chair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    It'll be even more dangerous if you fall asleep while feeding him in a chair.
    Sorry but how is feeding a chair more dangerous than feeding in bed? Assume this is just your view? This is one of the least helpful and supportive posts I have ever seen. The OP is exhausted and struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Sorry but how is feeding a chair more dangerous than feeding in bed? Assume this is just your view? This is one of the least helpful and supportive posts I have ever seen. The OP is exhausted and struggling.
    Ermm... because the baby is relying on you holding it to keep it safe?
    And yes I know that the OP is exhausted and struggling, that's exactly why I wrote it. If someone doesn't believe in co-sleeping, that's fine... if it's working for them. The OP sounds as though she's about to crack... if lying in bed to get a few hours sleep to refresh and re-gather herself is going to help then I would highly recommend it.
    If the OP has extenuating circumstances where co-sleeping truly would be dangerous, then I do apologise for suggesting it. Otherwise, I believe in this case it could be very beneficial.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-07-2014),HollyGolightly81  (13-07-2014)