+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, big hugs!! It's extremely tough whether you're a first time mum or like myself, just had baby number 4.

Just my 2 cents... My first thought is that he's waking up straight away because he hasn't been kept awake long enough. I know in the early days babies fall asleep often whilst feeding but it's so important to wake them up so they get a full feed. Full tummy should help bub have a better sleep. So for me through the day I feed and if she falls asleep I will change her nappy and have a little chat with her. Once she's awake enough I continue the feed. I keep her awake at the most 1 hour and this includes feeding time. For example, if she wakes at 7 I make sure I'm getting her ready for bed by about 7.55 and down by 8. To prepare her for sleep, I wrap her and pop her over my shoulder and I pat her gently until she has sleepy eyes. Then I put her down and generally I give her a little bit more of a pat and then I leave the room. She's nearly 5 weeks old now and because I have stuck with it she knows the routine and often doesn't need me to go back in but in the beginning I would sometimes have to go back in and pat her a bit more if she got upset but now that doesn't happen very often. She has a bath about 5pm and then I feed her and start getting her off to bed about 6. She's normally asleep by 6.30.
    Overnight I feed her, change nappy, finish feed, wrap and hold over my shoulder until she's burped properly then put her down in bed. It's definitely paying off as she's gone from waking two hourly overnight and sleeping on my chest, to now sleeping in her bed and the last two nights has only woken twice to feed.

Good luck, happy to answer any questions about what I've written as I don't think I've written it very well as I'm typing on my phone. Just remember, it will get better xx
    Last edited by FlipFlop; 11-07-2014 at 07:42.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlipFlop For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-07-2014),Daisy Duck  (11-07-2014),heartstringz  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Oh god Misho, do i have to do this for 6 weeks? How is doing what im currently doing 24/7 for that long even sustainable?

Misho what did you sleep upright in? I have a glider chair but im terrified he's going to roll off my lap if I fall asleep in that.

I dont nurse in bed or even in our bedroom (a chair wont fit) I have to go out to the lounge room. Therefore its impossible to get out of my chair, carry him down the hall & put him down without him waking up.

DH helps where he can but he cant feed bub as im still struggling to express

I dont know who to ask for help. The ABA just said I'll have to cosleep with him & thats the onlt thing I can do, but im not comfortable with that.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I fed him in bed.

Dh slept in the spare room.

It was ruddy hard, I felt the same as you do now. Even in hospital he just wouldn't settle. The midwives I had were great and just said that if I needed to cosleep, then just to do it safely. But it freaked me out as well.

What sucked was that being my 3rd kid, I felt like a failure coz the other 2 were happy to sleep in a bassinet.

Dummies didn't work for us but def give it a go. I wish they had worked.

Our bassinet has wheels so he always started out in the bassinet, when he started to cry I'd rock the bassinet. It worked occasionally.

I also tried putting my bra next to him, when I put him to bed so that he could smell me.

Every baby is different. My friend just had a bub and it was only 2 weeks that bub wanted to sleep on her. My other 2 were more than happy to fall asleep on my boob and then be wrapped and be put to bed.

You will get thru it. I promise !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't reAd thru but it sounds pretty normal till about 6 weeks. That's when our dd started sleeping 6-9 in a row at night.
    Dd is 3.5 months now and I have barely done anything else in the day but feed and change nappies the whole time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he squirmy when he wakes? All I can think of is if he's falling asleep on the boob he might have wind pain when he lays flat? Maybe burp when he wakes or elevate his mattress a tiny bit? My DS was SO hard to burp I though I was doing it wrong for weeks!! I also gave up onion, garlic, potatoes and tomatoes.

He either grew out of it or if worked...? Dunno.

Also I found the orthodontic dummies were really hard for DS to hold in his mouth - the cherries were a lot better.

Hugs xox it's so frustrating

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Daisy Duck  (11-07-2014),heartstringz  (11-07-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he doing big burps? Agree with pp might be wind. My daughter was terrible at burping but we had to persist until we got the big burp out. Sometimes took 20 mins!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy Duck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh he has had some wind & he can be difficult to burp but I do my best. We have slightly propped up the end of his bassinet which seems to help

We have also decided to try putting his bassinet in the family room with us during the day while he is still so young. I think its helping so he must have some seperation anxiety

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by heartstringz; 11-07-2014 at 13:26.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get some infants friend from the chemist.

It really helped my ds with wind.

We also put the bassinet in the lounge room, however with 2 other kids it just got way too noisy.

Sending you and Bubs some sleepy vibes
    Last edited by misho; 11-07-2014 at 13:48.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking wind too. My 5wo DD is super windy - she farts more than my DH! A friend suggested I spend a good 10 minutes burping her just to give the burps a good chance to come up (she did this with her DS and saw a great improvement).

Burping for 10 mins at 3am on minimal sleep sounds very unappealing but hopefully if you don't already do it for that long, it may help?

Good luck, hope it eases up for you soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's heaps of points already so I'll try 2 be brief:

1) I side-car my cot and it's far easier to lie a sleeping baby down than into a bassinet. I also cannot feed lying down as it hurts, so I feed sitting up then pop bub down.
    2) as a newborn my baby would be up from 11pm-5am. I was beside myself. A few nights after I fed, and baby wasn't crying for more, I palmed off bub to DH to hold and I got 2 or 3 hrs of sleep. Really helped.
    3) My DD just turned 10 mths old. She celebrated by waking up between 15 minutes to 2 hrly over night and getting hysterical until she had a feed. And not a quick snack - there were 4 x 30 min feeds overnight. Praying your bub improves at 6 weeks, and they mostly do get better, not every night is like I described, but don't get disappointed like I did when I hit the 6 mth mark and her sleep worsened. You're not doing anything wrong. It is tough.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-07-2014)