+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It starts getting a lot better at around 3 months heart. Sounds all very normal
    I found that the hands in mouth after feeds normally means they need more burping.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok im not sure what is going on now. I just gave him a bottle of formula & after some crying & carrying on he is now sleeping in his bassinet. This is the first day sleep he has had in his bassinet in 3 days!

Normally after I breast-feed him (I wait for him to fall off my boob, offer it to him again etc) & burp him he just screams, most of the times doing hunger cues. So I put him back on & repeat the process. So he's basically feeding or screaming for food all day. Wont settle & acts like he's starving. He's getting fat rolls, lol & gaining weight well. I have an oversupply sk im pretty sure he's getting enough food.

So what is wrong with my milk? Why does he scream the place down, only sleep on me & constantly do hunger cues when I breastfeed him & yet he cries & grizzles a little & then goes to sleep in his bassinet when I give him formula?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    He may have a lactose intolerance. I'm not very up to date with intolerances but I recall DS had an intolerance to any dairy in my milk so I had to cut out all dairy. I also cut out reflux causing foods. It's hard to know though you'd need to see him. Does he arch his back like he's in pain? Intolerances are tricky as the milk makes their gut hurt but they want to feed for comfort. So you go round in circles.

Glad to hear though he had a sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isnt there lactose in formula though? Thats why I didnt think of a lactose intolerance

He sometimes arches his back when he's crying, but I was told that they also sometimes do that when they are overtired.

Ill look more into lactose intolerance, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ok im not sure what is going on now. I just gave him a bottle of formula & after some crying & carrying on he is now sleeping in his bassinet. This is the first day sleep he has had in his bassinet in 3 days!

Normally after I breast-feed him (I wait for him to fall off my boob, offer it to him again etc) & burp him he just screams, most of the times doing hunger cues. So I put him back on & repeat the process. So he's basically feeding or screaming for food all day. Wont settle & acts like he's starving. He's getting fat rolls, lol & gaining weight well. I have an oversupply sk im pretty sure he's getting enough food.

So what is wrong with my milk? Why does he scream the place down, only sleep on me & constantly do hunger cues when I breastfeed him & yet he cries & grizzles a little & then goes to sleep in his bassinet when I give him formula?

Formula is harder to digest, it takes longer for their tummy to process it makes some babies get sleepier after formula because of that. Breast milk is absorbed very fast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to think the hand in mouth was feeding cues too until I worked out that it's mostly settling, needing burping.
    It went in a visious cycle if me caving and feeding her thinking she was hungry, but I was making it worse
    At around 9 weeks or so I realized the hands in mouth meant burpies and indigestion feeling. So I tried to drag out the next feed as long as possible with walking around, singing, tummy time, tv in bouncer.
    I soon realized that the hunger signs for my dd was just looking around for boob or crying with no hands in mouth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post

I know people will disagree but I honestly think some kids just don't 'go' with breast feeding.

I have 3 kids.

No 1 & 3 were bf, no 2 only till 3 months and had formula top ups from 2 months.

No 2 was just too hungry and my breast milk didn't cut it for him.
    It totally tore my heart out that he didn't take to my breast milk, but once he had formula, he was a different baby. He cried less, settled easier and was just a much more cruisy kid.
    I had been to sleep school with both ds1 and ds2 so I was confident that I was doing the right stuff, but honestly formula just helped him so much.

I'm not telling you to stop breast feeding, but if it's going to make life happier for YOU and baby, then perhaps consider it. After all, happy mummy = happy baby and not just vice versa.

And just FYI I'm typing this as I'm breast feeding ds3 who is 6 months old and just loooooves my b00bs. Every child is different

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I know people will disagree but I honestly think some kids just don't 'go' with breast feeding.

I have 3 kids.

No 1 & 3 were bf, no 2 only till 3 months and had formula top ups from 2 months.

No 2 was just too hungry and my breast milk didn't cut it for him.
    It totally tore my heart out that he didn't take to my breast milk, but once he had formula, he was a different baby. He cried less, settled easier and was just a much more cruisy kid.
    I had been to sleep school with both ds1 and ds2 so I was confident that I was doing the right stuff, but honestly formula just helped him so much.

I'm not telling you to stop breast feeding, but if it's going to make life happier for YOU and baby, then perhaps consider it. After all, happy mummy = happy baby and not just vice versa.

And just FYI I'm typing this as I'm breast feeding ds3 who is 6 months old and just loooooves my b00bs. Every child is different
    I agree. Can you do formula for the next few feeds and see if that helps?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you seen child health recently? Perhaps book in an appt to see them, get him weighed and discuss his behaviours and see what they can suggest.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do whatever it takes to make bub happy, and keep your sanity!! You're doing a great job, however it turns out he is fed