+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborn wont stop feeding

My newborn will feed & then fall off my breast & is fast asleep. So I go to put him in his bassinet & as soon as I put him down he wakes up & screams for more food.

I seem to have a good supply & im pretty sure he has a good latch as im currently using nipple shields under the advice of the LC

Im getting next to no sleep & my nipples are killing me even with the nipple shields

Also, when he screams after I put him down its hard to get him to latch properly for ages cause he's so distressed & will not take his hands out of his mouth, or he keeps grabbing the nipple shield & pulling it off but he wont latch at all without it. No problems getting him to latch initially, just after ive tried to put him down.

So basically i feed him, he falls asleep on me, then i just have to sit here trying to stay awake for as long as it takes for him to wake up again & want more food. This can be ages if i dont try to put him down. Im not into co-sleeping, which is all the ABA helpline could suggest.

I didnt expect to have to feed basically non stop, I expected to at least get a couple of hours sleep. Im absolutely exhausted & ready to just put him on formula. What am I doing wrong??

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by heartstringz; 11-07-2014 at 04:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Unfortunately it's just like this in the early days. He's been as close as he can possibly be to you for 9 months, he just doesn't want to be away from you.

In DS' second week we got a bednest, a bassinet that attaches to our bed and the side comes down so it's like he's sleeping next to me, because he would wake whenever I tried to put him down. The change was instant. I was still super close to him and could easily sleep with my hand comfortably on him while he slept in his own safe sleep space. Totally in love with that product. Pretty sure you can now rent them in OZ, I'll find you the link.

Also, he's building your supply, telling your breasts how much milk they need to make which is another reason it seems like he's feeding constantly. Demand = supply.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (12-07-2014),danik  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I wish id known to expect this. I dont know how i can look after my baby if im just feeding him/waiting for him to wake up 24/7 & getting absolutely zero sleep myself.

Half the time I have to wake DH just so i can go to the bathroom at night because i cant put DS down. I feel like im doing something wrong

Ill look at the bed nest but not sure if it will work for me because I dont nurse in bed, I have to get up & sit in a chair otherwise I will fall asleep with bub on my boob

Last edited by heartstringz; 11-07-2014 at 05:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I sat up and fed in bed then gently placed him in the bednest when he was finished. It wouldn't be any different than what you're doing now with having to place him in his bassinet just with the bednest he'll feel closer to you so hopefully won't wake once placed in it.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, it's really full on in the beginning but I promise you it gets easier, you figure each other out. Try and have naps or take turns with DH if you really feel he can't be put down.

Is he swaddled nice a tight? Maybe lay a tshirt you've been wearing down in the bassinet so when you lay him down he still smells you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get support! I don't know everything about breastfeeding but I have breastfed twins for a year so that's my experience to speak from. I know all babies are different but this doesn't sound sustainable for you and it is super important that you feel okay.

I would be seeking more help from nurses, breastfeeding experts, until you find a balance.

I agree with other poster that bub will be establishing supply etc and you might need to tough it out for a while, but I also believe that you need to look after you. Going to the bathroom, having a shower and getting a little rest is not too much to ask! Please don't feel that you need to sacrifice everything. But you DO need to keep seeking help until you find the best fit for you and your bub. Lots of it is trial and error.

Co-sleeping is not for everyone, so if you're sure you don't want to go that way make it clear when you're getting support so that experts can give other ideas. My best advice is, keep asking, keep trying and look after yourself! Taking a few minutes for you is giving him a better, healthier Mum. It is also more sustainable and far more likely to support long term breastfeeding success.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by NAT2561; 11-07-2014 at 05:47.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will be back to reply later xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ok I wish id known to expect this. I dont know how i can look after my baby if im just feeding him/waiting for him to wake up 24/7 & getting absolutely zero sleep myself.

Half the time I have to wake DH just so i can go to the bathroom at night because i cant put DS down. I feel like im doing something wrong

Ill look at the bed nest but not sure if it will work for me because I dont nurse in bed, I have to get up & sit in a chair otherwise I will fall asleep with bub on my boob

I slept sitting upright for the first 6 weeks, with him in my arms.

It's the only way I got any rest and it took him that long to realise that he didn't have to be glued to be 24-7. It was definitely 'the 4th trimester'!

Not ideal but this is what babies do early on, they feed and feed and feed.

You'll get thru it

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (11-07-2014),danik  (31-07-2014),Rutabaga  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god Misho, do i have to do this for 6 weeks? How is doing what im currently doing 24/7 for that long even sustainable?

Misho what did you sleep upright in? I have a glider chair but im terrified he's going to roll off my lap if I fall asleep in that.

I dont nurse in bed or even in our bedroom (a chair wont fit) I have to go out to the lounge room. Therefore its impossible to get out of my chair, carry him down the hall & put him down without him waking up.

DH helps where he can but he cant feed bub as im still struggling to express

I dont know who to ask for help. The ABA just said I'll have to cosleep with him & thats the onlt thing I can do, but im not comfortable with that.

Last edited by heartstringz; 11-07-2014 at 06:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heartstringz, how old is he? I gave Lucy a dummy in the hospital at birth, and it made a huge difference! She is now 12 months, and we still BF 4 times a day. I love it. So glad we persisted. I've never co-slept either. I found the constant sucking on the dummy really soothed her. She never had any boob/dummy confusion. If he is grabbing for the nipple shield I just wonder if he wants to suck. Newborns are programmed to suck, so a dummy seemed a logical choice.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (11-07-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (11-07-2014)