+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Science works museum Melbourne

So I'm thinking of taking my 2 yr old & almost 5 Yr old Ds. It's been years since I've been. Would my boys be too young?

Also is it too packed these school holidays?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went with dh and we took dd. I wasn't that impressed to be perfectly honest, in fact I expected a little bit more. The car park is tiny and on a sat(not school hols) the car park was full before doors opened(excluding disabled spots). I would recommend melbourne museum in Carlton well before the science museum. Dd was really excited about operating the digger but it was on a timer and no sooner had she got into the swing of things we had to wait for it to "power up" again :-(

Perhaps others have had a better experience than us(they were doing renos at the time). Unless your 5 year old is gifted if probably wait until they are older or at least go when it's not conpletely packed so the experience can be a bit more interactive. Just my 5c though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think 2 is a little bit young. My 5 y/o enjoyed it, my 3 y/o was a bit bored. I also think its best if you can have one adult per child because I found my 5 y/o wanted to go one way and my 3 y/o wanted to go the other way. We went on a lovely sunny day and spent an hour or so on the playground. I think that probably made the day really.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My two girls love science works. There's heaps for littlies to do. I think those renos CarpeDiem mentioned are done. Downstairs there's a maths exhibition atm which is maybe for a slightly older age group but there's a music & light exhibition that's great. There's heaps of buttons for a 2yo to press and a canoe to sit in and row. A spaceship and a music & mood room that'spretty cool. There's a magic room/lift where the kids can trick mum & dad by disappearing. Lots of electronic instruments. There's heaps of other stuff as well that a 5yo would love. And the kids show in the planetarium (bring a small ball for the ball-whirlpool in the foyer, not sure what you call it but it's like those yellow cone things you roll a coin into, it might be a black hole simulator? )

Upstairs there's a little cafe where the kids can make coffee and serve food. There's a music room where they can bang to their hearts content. There's a brick building area which they love. Plus plus plus... a boat to steer and a crane to move stuff. A lego model of Melbourne. Insects to examine. The digger is actually operated by a yellow push button so you can use it endlessly (its off to one side and can be hard to spot). That's just the kids favourite bits.

Then outside there are two playgrounds and heaps of seagulls to chase, picnics to be had etc etc etc. A cafe and a shop. The Pump House and the Lightening Room. It's a great spot. We go there often and have always found a car park. The reason it fills up before opening is because you can pay your $20 and spend the entire day there. We often do!
    Last edited by Gothel; 10-07-2014 at 23:29.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My kids are similar ages to yours, OP and love science works. My 4.5 year old much prefers it to the melbourne museum because it's far more interactive.
    Whatever you do, don't go alone!!! As PP said, they will run in opposite directions. TWICE I've had to get security to help me find DS because I've been busy chasing DD and he's gone off in the opposite direction. I would go with DH and one of you take the 2 year old upstairs while the other takes the 5 year old downstairs. It does get incredibly busy too so you have to watch them like hawks.
    A really fun way to get there is via the ferry from Southgate.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh and BYO lunch- the cafe is abysmal!