+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are my rights as a tenant regarding inspections? *URGENT*

So.......inspection was scheduled for today at 12:45pm. Was feeling a bit ill so had a bit of a sleep in, woke up a bit before 11am to do last minute tidy up, figuring I'd have plenty of time still to mop the floors, do the dishes and vacuum up the crumbs that my son had left all over the carpet during my sleep in (sigh!).

Hear a knock on the door at 11:25am....and there was the property manager with some other lady from the office, an hour and a half earlier than expected. I stated that she was early and she said she had a few cancellations, I said that I was sorry but she would have to come back at the appointed time. She said in a very insolent tone "Are you serious??" and I said yes, and she asked why very haughtily, which I stated that they showed up earlier than appointed and I still have some things to do. She was like "Oh but we're not coming back into *town*" (office is next town over, 5 mins away) and I basically said something like well you'll just have to come back, and shut the door.

As I thought, they have not returned. I'm counting on her telling the landlords that I refused entry, no doubt leaving out the fact that they showed up extremely early, without so much as a simple phone call to check that it would be okay and that I would be home. I find it extremely rude and unprofessional....but what are my actual rights in a situation like this?!

I will be contacting the tenant advocacy service tomorrow (it's closed now unfortunately), but it's playing over and over in my head and I'm hoping someone might have some constructive advice.

I am so so tired of this real estate. I have lived here for over two years, I was originally through a different real estate until previous landlord sold the property and new owners changed real estate. Never had a problem with previous RE. This property manager is just rude. The previous booked inspection she did not even show up! No notice at all. I waited around for most of the day, finally called office to be told that she had forgot. Yet she was rude when I rescheduled an inspection because my mum had passed away suddenly and unexpectedly the day before, acting like she was doing me some huge favour. Uggggh. Honestly considering moving just so I don't have to deal with her anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you email them so it is in writing?

Something simple like 'Hi, just wondering if you will be rescheduling the inspection as you did not come at the agreed time today. In future I would appreciate inspections being at the agreed on time.'

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-07-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (11-07-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (12-07-2014),HillDweller  (11-07-2014),Jenga  (09-07-2014),Mulva  (12-07-2014),penny92  (11-07-2014),Purple Lily  (11-07-2014),Sethysmum  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the laws have somewhat changed. Our property manager has to call to make sure the date and time suit us.

We are never home for inspections anyway so it doesn't matter what time she comes.

That was rude of them to turn up early without calling or not even turning up for previous inspections.

You could make a complaint with the principle of the real estate company as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They need to stick to the times on the notice of entry letter...simple! You had every right to refuse entry!
    I was in a house for 10 yrs and the re thought they could just turn up as they pleased...I allowed them in once thinking I must of not got the notice...but the next time they did it I refused entry and wrote a complaint letter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and now we are being kicked out......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    What? On what grounds? When? Perhaps the tenancy place can help you ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    WTH?!. What is up with some of these crazy property managers that everyone has to deal with lately?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I am shocked at how rude they were. Real estates can be so rude yo renters, tell them you're buying/selling and they'll clean the house for you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    What happened??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no!! Why??