+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The chances of an instrumental delivery with a VBAC are no higher than any other first vaginal birth (to my knowledge from VBAC birth classes information). I was just unlucky she suddenly became distressed for some unknown reason otherwise I could have pushed her out myself just fine. The chances of complications in general are higher with c sections than vaginal births as it's major surgery.

Only you can make the decision that's right for you. All the information in the world can't predict what will happen during your birth. Go with your gut and just give it your best shot, whatever you choose. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3c tear in march
    Around 3% have 3rd or 4th
    I had a 6 hour natural labour, arriving in hospital just in time
    I would not have known I had torn if I wasn't told. I went to theatre and had a epi to be stitched up
    I recovered completly in around 4 weeks. Just took nurofen fr about a week. Everything feels great
    The only downside is that they have suggested cs next time that im happy with
    I was told by my pp physio said it was because my body was too small to push out dd but she was only 7lb2 so I dunno

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Rozzie1976 just remember that you'll most likely only ever find the horror stories when you google. People are quick to share their bad experiences but don't share their good ones. Please stop googling, you'll only freak yourself out!

And it is not guaranteed a 3rd or 4th degree tear with forceps or vacuum. Most doctors will cut an episiotomy if they need to do an instrumental delivery which is usually no more than a 2nd degree. It's only the really unlucky ones where it extends - I've only seen it once or twice and they were extremely difficult deliveries.

For what it's worth, in all the deliveries I've done, none of my women have had a 3rd or 4th degree tear when I've been the delivering midwife. I've seen them with private obs when ladies are in a position not conducive to the obstetricians preference (ie not on the bed), and I saw one or two as a student when women would push with all their might through the pain because they wouldn't listen.

Listen to all the PPs who have told you their positive experiences. They are the majority. I've seen the epi-no work (still no idea what it is haha) and same with perineal massage. Stop worrying and focus on the positives, you will more likely get the birth you want if you think positively about it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (10-07-2014),Rozzie1976  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I had a 3c tear in march
    Around 3% have 3rd or 4th
    I had a 6 hour natural labour, arriving in hospital just in time
    I would not have known I had torn if I wasn't told. I went to theatre and had a epi to be stitched up
    I recovered completly in around 4 weeks. Just took nurofen fr about a week. Everything feels great
    The only downside is that they have suggested cs next time that im happy with
    I was told by my pp physio said it was because my body was too small to push out dd but she was only 7lb2 so I dunno
    @Kazza78 I had exact same tear and repair as you. I had a rectal ultrasound and tests done to check muscles all fine and no lasting damage. After this good result I'm good to go for another vaginal birth. Maybe ask for the same to help you make your decision? I hate this 'your body is too small bullcrap' and believe in the vast majority of cases that's not true. It makes us feel our bodies aren't good enough to perform a totally normal, natural function and starts a cycle of doubt. Grrr, vent over

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    @Rozzie1976 just remember that you'll most likely only ever find the horror stories when you google. People are quick to share their bad experiences but don't share their good ones. Please stop googling, you'll only freak yourself out!

And it is not guaranteed a 3rd or 4th degree tear with forceps or vacuum. Most doctors will cut an episiotomy if they need to do an instrumental delivery which is usually no more than a 2nd degree. It's only the really unlucky ones where it extends - I've only seen it once or twice and they were extremely difficult deliveries.

For what it's worth, in all the deliveries I've done, none of my women have had a 3rd or 4th degree tear when I've been the delivering midwife. I've seen them with private obs when ladies are in a position not conducive to the obstetricians preference (ie not on the bed), and I saw one or two as a student when women would push with all their might through the pain because they wouldn't listen.

Listen to all the PPs who have told you their positive experiences. They are the majority. I've seen the epi-no work (still no idea what it is haha) and same with perineal massage. Stop worrying and focus on the positives, you will more likely get the birth you want if you think positively about it.
    My birth was with midwife in public. I wonder if she told me to do something wrong?
    Like you say though, it's not a horror story by all means, I had a wonderful easy quick labour with a tear at the end. Stitched up and completely normal
    Op don't listen to horror stories.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    @Kazza78 I had exact same tear and repair as you. I had a rectal ultrasound and tests done to check muscles all fine and no lasting damage. After this good result I'm good to go for another vaginal birth. Maybe ask for the same to help you make your decision? I hate this 'your body is too small bullcrap' and believe in the vast majority of cases that's not true. It makes us feel our bodies aren't good enough to perform a totally normal, natural function and starts a cycle of doubt. Grrr, vent over
    Yeah I've had so many people say that to me. Lol. I discussed it with reg doc at 8 w pp. I think part if my fear is because I had what was considered a quick labour for first - 6 hours and worried if that was the reason for tear- not enough time to stretch. I guess I just dont know yet. But yeah I will get an u/s for sure to find out.
    One day I might work it out and make a decision lol!!
    Last edited by Kazza78; 10-07-2014 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    My birth was with midwife in public. I wonder if she told me to do something wrong?
    Like you say though, it's not a horror story by all means, I had a wonderful easy quick labour with a tear at the end. Stitched up and completely normal
    Op don't listen to horror stories.
    You were likely just unlucky @Kazza78. Or if baby was coming with such gusto there might've been no slowing him/her down! They're definitely not all private obs where I've seen them, there are public ones too including ladies that have had a group practice midwife where everything is as natural as possible. Sometimes they just happen for one reason or another, but the ability to minimise the chance comes with control of the pushing when crowning and allowing the perineum to stretch up gradually

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I'm thinking. It just happened. They told me they see a 3rd or 4th about every 5 weeks or so
    Op there's nothing to worry about. If it happens it happens. Everyone that replied said it wasn't such a horror event

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only ever had a CS and like you have fears about tearing.

Just on the forceps = tearing. My younger sister had to have a forceps delivery and only ended up with a graze, so its not all doom and loom (easier said though!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The epi didn't work for me with ds1, it numbed me too far down and I couldn't feel anything so had no idea when to push or if I was even pushing. I ended up having 2 failed suctions and a forcep delivery, babies heart rate was dropping so they had to get him out. I had a large episotomy (which I opted for as I didn't want to be left to tear and this is what I discussed with my ob). Ds1 was just under 9pounds. The recovery time was quick and I healed really well. I wasn't in discomfort for more than a few days. I had salt baths and ultrasound massage.

With ds2 it was a totally different experience, a quick and easy 4 hour labour. I had a small cut. I could at least feel down below and knew when to push.

Not sure what it will be like third time round but I'm not anxious or worried. What will be will be, I heal well.