+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Telling work

Hi All,

I thought I had already posted this but can't see it anywhere!

I'm 6 weeks in after getting a BFP on my 30th Birthday

I want to know how far in you were before you told your boss, and whether you told them verbally/in writing/both.

My boss goes on leave when I hit 12 weeks and I don't want her finding out from someone else while she's on leave. I also don't want to tell her until I have completed all my tests and got the all clear at 14 weeks - is it innappropriate to phone her on holidays to tell her?

Any advice would be great! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it means a lot to you to tell her in person, I'd ring her on her holidays. When I tell my boss, I'll tell him in person and then submit a certificate from my GP with the estimated due date etc. I work at a school though, so it might be more informal there than other work places?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just wait until she gets back before telling anyone at work. How would she find out while on leave?

I told my boss before 12 weeks but only because it was so obvious as it was Xmas season and I wasn't drinking! And I would have told her if I had lost it, so didn't see the harm.

But you don't need to tell bang on 12 weeks so I would probably wait in your circumstances.

I think it would be a bit odd to call her while she is on leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

I wouldn't phone her on holidays, I would wait and tell her when she returns (and not tell any other colleagues until after you have told her). I told my work around the 16 week mark with both pregs, and told my boss in person (1st time was a similar position to you - he was on leave when I was around the 12 week mark, so I waited until he returned). I work in a fairly small workplace, so just told my boss verbally, and told them closer to EDD when I would like to start mat leave. I didn't give them anything in writing. After telling my boss I sent out a little email to all other staff that we were expecting.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 09-07-2014 at 09:38.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

MrsKK  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I actually talked to my director at six weeks. I was feeling really unwell with both pregnancies and I guess on some level wanted her to understand why I wasn't performing at my best. Maybe that's just the perfectionist in me though... Funnily enough, when I went in to tell her first time around, she guessed that I was pregnant before I actually said it.

Sadly my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, but then I was particularly glad that I'd told her because I needed the support and understanding when I needed to take time off to recover physically and mentally.

This pregnancy I told her early because I was terrified that I might miscarry again but I also had issues with my blood pressure being higher than normal and needed to cut back my hours/reduce my stress.

I think it depends on the relationship you have with your boss. I have a very strong relationship with mine so I felt totally comfortable talking to her about it, even though it was really early on. I prefer to be upfront about these things. Mind you, I would never have called her on holidays to tell her. I think you're better off giving her a heads up before she goes away, or waiting until she comes back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

MrsKK  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd wait till they return from holidays. I told my boss at 20weeks. I was sure he'd have known, esp as he'd seen me throwing up in my bin one day ....typical man assumed I was hungover!
    Congrats x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely wait till she comes back. Sounds a bit odd calling your boss whilst om holidays

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When will she get back?
    I would either tell her at 12wks or tell her later once she's back.

Face to face is definitely the way to go.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you should call your boss on holidays but then I think it depends on the relationship you have and the boundaries that are in place.
    If you are friend- e.g you would normally call each other on holidays then that might be different.
    But agree with others that face to face is better.
    I told my Board at 16 weeks but the Board Chair knew from 10 weeks. They were all great about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would wait until she gets back.
    I told my boss verbally at 13 weeks. As soon as I had the NT scan and everything was fine. Closer to my due date I filled in the maternity leave application and gave them a medical certificate