+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep & Routine - do they improve naturally ?

Hi mums

I have a very active, very happy, very alert 4mo and I just wanted to see whether anyone has been in similar situations and things have improved naturally (or if you've had to implement 'training' something I'm not so keen on).

My DS sleeps pretty well at night, waking 1-2times between 7pm-7am (although has been a bit restless the last week but that's a question for another time! I suspect it may be a growth spurt or dreaded sleep regression that everyone talks about) but during the day he only sleeps 45ish minutes. I'm sure part of the reason is because he is unable to self settle/resettle (he is rocked or fed to sleep). Generally he had 4 x 45min naps per day and is up roughly between 1.5-2hours. I find stretching out his wake times makes him a little bit more sleepy and easier to settle as he is so alert.

Following on from that, because he is fed to sleep, generally out routine is Play, Feed, Sleep. I know this isn't ideal, but at the moment it works. He can be such a restless feeder that unless he's a little bit tired he just isn't interested, would rather look around! He also has reflux which is pretty much under control but I suspect this may also add to his restlessness which feeding.

When I do feed him to sleep I try to catch him right before he falls asleep, or burp him which can slightly wake him before putting him down.

Any experiences, positive or negative would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He must know how to self settle otherwise he would be stirring a lot more overnight.

I'm not a fan of 'training' but I would start using shush-pat when he wakes from his day sleeps. If its almost always 45 mins, I would make sure I was close by during that time a d as soon as he makes the slightest whimper I would begin shush-patting to see if you can convince him to resettle.

I also found with DD that it was this age that light became more of an issue. Do you have blackout curtains or blinds? If not, try sticking foil to his window (just wipe a wet cloth over the glass then apply the foil) as this will allow you to test the theory without forking out for curtains. Expect it to take a few days to make much of a difference.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi msb. four months is still quite young to be expecting much of a routine, but if you want to try, i would remove any stimulation from the sleep area, and also keep the room dark if you can. I must confess, I have never been a great believer in routine, my babies just seemed to have a new routine each day. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That sounds pretty good

The day naps are on the shorter side, but he's sleeping well at night so maybe he just doesn't need long naps during the day.

I'd just keep going with it if you're happy. If you do want to extend the day naps or stop the feeding to sleep, you could switch it to eat, play, sleep and use pat and 'shh' to comfort him to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thsnks ladies, I appreciate all if your replies and will try those tips out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a fantastic little sleeper. DD wasn't much of a day sleeper ( or night for that matter) but has improved with age ( well actually I think with us getting to know her)
    We closely watched the clues and followed her lead, by doing this she developed her own "routine" which we follow. We know the clues so sometimes she gets sleepy earlier/ later, or misses a day sleep altogether.
    I have found following her lead she sleeps longer and wakes happy. We still have a life as she can and does sleep anywhere, regardless of if there is external noise/ light etc. she and I don't stress if something isn't in the "routine".
    Unfortunately **** happens so you can't always have a dark, quiet space, I'm a big believer that they need to learn how to sleep through light and noisy areas ( hey dd slept nearly 2 hours at the brisbane baby expo- balloons, toys, people and other babies everywhere)

Personally we prefer this method than trying to force a sleep onto them when they might not be tired ( hey can you sleep when you're not sleepy?) no amount of patting or shhhh will get anyone to sleep if they simply don't want one.
    we know her tired signs, if she's tired but resisting a rest we will cuddle/ feed until she goes down, if she's not displaying tired signs and really is hesitant then we do a quiet activity like read a book to get the chill out time.
    Like i said there's some days she doesn't want that day sleep

I actually spoke to my oby about it, he said don't worry some bubs don't need / do a lot of sleeping. His eldest never slept! I also went to a sleep seminar and the chn there said day sleeps are ok to miss, just do quiet time activities to allow an unwind/ recharge.
    I spoke to professionals as I felt there was something wrong with my baby for only wanting 45mims- what I discovered was she was perfectly normal lol.
    Last edited by maternidade; 12-07-2014 at 05:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your DS sounds like my DD. Very active and alert, and still not a fan of sleep at 17 mths.

My DD was a catnapper like your LO until 6 months, at which time I tried keeping her up a bit longer and tried for just 2 sleeps a day, which worked for extending her naps. It turned out I was trying to put her down too soon thinking her catnaps were caused by overtiredness. So it seems that she wasn't actually tired enough, despite showing tired signs (at least at 6 months, will never know if this was the case when she was younger).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd3 sounded similar. She wpuld sleep 6-8 hours overnight but only have a few cat naps during the day. As she has gotten older, she started sleeping longer during the day until she was having 2 sleeps lasting 2-3 hours each. Now she is almost 2 and has one massive sleep (4 hours) around 11am. I think it started to really improve when I started putting her in her cot to sleep instead of the bassinet. Ive also noticed my dd4 (who is only 8 weeks) will sleep better during the day if she is in her cot instead of the bassinet, she is also a bit of a day time cat napper but the last few days in the cot she has slept 2-3 hours each time.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lil Miss - what do you think the reason is that your LOs sleep better in the cot during the day as opposed to the bassinet??

Thanks
    Reviews
    ABigDeepBreath - you could be absolutely right. I've never been very good at interpreting 'tired' signs and generally put my DS when I think he should be tired! He will give off the occasional yawn when tired (but can also yawn randomly at any time) and he does sometimes get a 'blank' stare happening but he also spends his whole life looking around the room at different things so it's hard to tell whether this means his tired or not! He also sometimes gets red around his eyebrows and a white forehead but I haven't noticed this as much lately.

Ah... The joys or parenthood !!