+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've worn contacts for a few years. I love them. They take some getting used to but it feels so great not to have to wear your glasses all the time, or even just to have the choice. It was great not to wear glasses on my wedding day, for example, and they are great for exercise.

I use monthlies, I wear them for the day and take them out in the evening. Sometimes they get a bit sore if you put them in at say 7am getting ready and you've had a full day and are out doing something at night say 9pm and they are still in.

Tips-
    Get your prescription then order the lenses online, cheaper.
    Put contacts in with flat pad of your finger not the tip as a pp said.
    Put them in before moisturiser or makeup, or before using any hair products.
    Keep a spare case in your handbag in case you need or want to take them out while you're out somewhere.
    If it hurts when you put the lens on your eye it's probably a tiny particle or fibre stuck between the lens and your eye, just move the lens around on your eye and it will fix it.
    I would recommend them to anyone. I am the biggest wuss and I did it. The first time you try them you will probably have tears coming out and get a bit flustered if you don't get it immediately ...don't worry optometrists see it every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vue For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankyou appointment is with specsavers so guess I will have to see what happens tomorrow
    Do I get charged for the actual appointment ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure how accurate it is that you can wear disposable contacts day and night. My optometrists have always said they must come out to sleep. I've used daily and fortnightly and have always had to have two contact free days per week.

Which isn't a big deal for me as I don't really like wearing them to work in air con on a pc so I use those two days as glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    Thankyou appointment is with specsavers so guess I will have to see what happens tomorrow
    Do I get charged for the actual appointment ?
    Depends on the optometrist. The first one I went to charged and said contacts can't be billed to medicare. But I changed to OPSM a couple years ago and they always bulk bill to medicare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hmm okay! Any idea how much I'm looking at being charged ? I don't have PHI

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Spec savers normally bulk bill their appointments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Spec savers normally bulk bill their appointments.
    Great thanks hope that is the case !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been wearing contact lenses for over 10 years and they are the best! Different lenses suit your eyes so they will advise you of what is best, I have astigmatism.
    I am fortunate to be able to wear monthlies that you leave in day and night for a month - and yes that's completely accurate and safe. They are very soft light breathable lenses that you can barely feel are in. I use an eye drop to refresh and clean them and take them out occasionally.
    Only issues I ever have are accidentally rubbing my eyes and then getting eyelashes stuck under them!
    There are new contacts out that you only wear overnight that re-shape your eye so you don't have to wear any lenses during the day - it's an alternative to laser eye surgery. I'm currently being tested for them and hopefully they suit me! They are pretty expensive though.

My brand is: Bausch & Lomb pure vision toric.
    And the cost without phi is around $200 for a 3 month supply.

Good luck! It may take a while to get used to it but it's worth it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeforlife For This Useful Post:

cairnsmummy  (08-07-2014),EmPowering  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I've been wearing contacts for 10 years. It took me about a week to get used to putting them in and taking them out. The first time I had to get Mum to take it out for me! It is much easier now.

I use monthly ones and take them out when it is time to change to the next month. For a while I took them out every couple of weeks for a night rest but I haven't had any problems for a while now.

I go to specsavers and buy them online (they can tell you the site and set it up for you). I use easyvision opteyes and now pay between $40-$80 for 3 months instead of $120+ They also do deals with free shipping or discounts so it has saved me so much money.

"Insert witty signature here"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks so it's fine to ask for a script to buy them online rather than from the optometrist? Or do they get offended?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    Great thanks so it's fine to ask for a script to buy them online rather than from the optometrist? Or do they get offended?
    The optometrist was the one that told me to buy them online so she definitely wasn't offended. It is specsavers online though so it's all connected and just cuts out the middle man of going in to pick it up. You might have to do your first lot from the store so they can check they fit your eye properly.

"Insert witty signature here"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (08-07-2014)