+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is the image. It's a good reminder about how quickly their little Timmy's fill up and then empty.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1405261608.967200.jpg

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Right now expressing is not a priority, it seems to be simply complicating things for you.
    Personally I would just focus entirely on nursing your bub, getting that sorted, and when you are really confident with breastfeeding and the stress levels are down, then you can express to get Dad to do some feeds when he can/wants to.

I always had lots of milk, but was never good at expressing, it is difficult at the best of times for some women, and you really need to be quite relaxed to be able to do it TBH. I also found that expressing was really hard on my nipples, not what you need right now!!
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 14-07-2014 at 15:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a drop in clinic today & saw a child health nurse at their feeding clinic. At the clinic I was able to get bub to latch a couple of times without the nipple shield & not too much pain but now that im home I cant do it any more im doing everything the same - bub just wont open his mouth wide enough unless he is screaming (which he was at the clinic cause he was overdue for a feed). It upsets me when he gets so distressed & given im getting fairly good at picking the early feeding cues, id rather not wait till he is screaming before I feed him. Surely there must be a better way??

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry your still having so much trouble.
    I was told that bub was not opening his mouth wide enough also.
    But after seeing a few LC's one finally told me that wasn't the issue. Bub doesn't need to open that much if you get the nipple to brush the top lip as it goes in Bub will suck it in the rest of the way.
    So I tried that.
    Rest the bottom of your boob on Bub bottom lip then roll your nipple in.
    I hope that makes sense and I hope it helps you find some way of getting through this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To help my DS open his little mouth enough I had to hold him with the heel of my palm pressing into the back of his shoulders and only my fingers on his head. There is a diagram under cradle hold here:

http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_...tion&Itemid=17

Plus (this was something my LC said she'd not seen a mum do before) push his forehead back slightly with my other hand so he'd tilt his head back and open his mouth.

Glad you got to the drop in. Go as often as you need to while settling in to feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Stretched - holding him like that (palm on his shoulders & fingers on head) is what they suggested at the drop-in centre. It did work but when he gets really distressed he is really strong already & he begins to fight my hold (wanting to throw his head around) & I don't feel like his head is supported enough & I'm concerned about him hurting himself.

I'm going to try & go back to the drop-in centre tomorrow because I still can't transition off the nipple shields

Thanks
    Reviews
    My lil one had a strong neck too, that why I'd need to push his forehead! Sounds so mean, doesn't it?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @heartstringz, don't stress too much about the nipple shields. My sister used them for a good 3-4 months before her bub decided he didn't need to use them any more. They then went on to bf until he was at least 20 months old.

Keep visiting the child health clinic/LC as long as you're getting good advice. My number one tip is to stay relaxed. If you start getting frustrated and tense while trying to get bub on, he will sense that. If he's screaming blue murder, take him away from the breast and hold him skin to skin in the middle of your chest to calm him down. His tongue needs to be forward when you feed to avoid more damage. When he's screaming, his tongue is pulled right back in his mouth.

Breastfeeding shouldn't be painful as such. You should expect discomfort as he's essentially stretching your nipple out a good cm or 2, and it will take time for your nipples to "toughen up". Painful is the wrong word as it makes mums who have bf problems think that they just have to feed through the pain.

Cabbage leaves have properties in them to help dry up your milk, not to mention pesticides/chemicals sprayed on them, so please don't use them as a pp suggested.

Do you have much chance to do skin to skin throughout the day? If you can spend a lot of time skin to skin with him throughout the day, you may find it helps.

With regards to the expressing, are you using a hand pump or electric pump? If you're struggling with the hand pump, perhaps look into hiring an electric one. There are loads of chemists around where you can hire pumps from, or check out pinkorblue.com.au who are a service that you can hire a pump from, but they'll also home deliver. Worst case scenario is that you rest and express for 24-48hrs to give things a chance to calm down and also a chance for you to enjoy a feeding experience with your baby.

Given all the drama you've been through so far on your bf journey, you may develop pnd and feelings of resentment to your little man which is definitely not what anyone wants. I'm sure you and your DH and all your friends and family want you to feel happy about what's going on and finding what works for you feeding wise will help that.

Many PP have put out there the option of switching to formula. Can I say to you heartstringz, only you can decide if that's what you need/want to do. From this thread alone I get the impression that you are very keen to be able to breastfeed your baby, and I think you need to surround yourself with people (both personal and professionals) who can support you and guide you through this tough start. To the PP who have suggested formula, can I point out that while I understand your good intentions by making the suggestion to switch to FF baby, it can sometimes be the least helpful suggestion as it can give the woman a sense of failure in not being able to BF her baby. Your decision to switch to formula was one you made yourself in your own situation and circumstances and that's what worked for you, but it doesn't always mean it's the right thing for someone else. I certainly don't mean to offend, and I'm definitely not against formula. But what I am 100% for is respecting a woman's decision on how to feed her baby and supporting her 100% in her choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you so much theoneandonly! I really appreciate what you said about formula feeding & I agree with you, but at this point expressing has become unsustainable ive hurt my neck (its a chronic on-going problem) & from past experience I know it wont get better any time soon. I cant lean forwad/sit hunched over to express as its making it worse

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (16-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Only you can make your decision and if you DO decide switching to formula is what you want to do, then do so with the clear understanding that you're doing it because it's what is right for YOU. Don't feel guilt. Don't hold on to any pre conceived ideas that you're failing your baby. No negative thoughts!!! And you know what, next baby you may have a dream feeding experience and end up BF for many many months.

Oh, and get your neck looked at! Treat yourself to a massage if you can, or sweet talk your DH to giving you one. Just go for one where you can sit on a chair rather than lying down. Your boobs won't be too happy otherwise!