+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing, that sounds so painful and exhausting. Have you thought about sourcing some additional support from a community-based lactation consultant? They are often available thought the local council or you could source someone privately. I had lots of trouble with DS and found their help invaluable (I went with someone private and found the assistance was better). Alternatively your council might have a day-program for breastfeeding help? The one I went to was almost a full day so they saw multiple feeds. They also provided general tips on settling, etc.
    early breastfeeding with my DS was super painful and such a struggle but it generally does get better with regards to pain. I don't have experience with introducing formula for some feeds so will leave that up to others. I know my sister introduced formula top ups from birth (her milk took ages to come in). She went on to phase them out and breastfed until 12mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I just read your earlier post re: a LC. Do you have follow up appts organised with her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will bub take a dummy for short periods to give you a little bit of a break? The pain can definitely get better so I really hope he's just feeding heaps right now to get your supply going. Do you have details of the drop in feeding clinics for some extra support?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way either of my babies could go 3hours between feeds at that age. I know some BF and formula fed babies happily go onto a 3-4 hour schedule pretty early, but not mine! They both had formula top-ups, so nothing to do with not getting full each feed, just little tummies. Both fed about 2 hourly with cluster feeding followed by maybe a 3-4 hour break some time at night.

I loathed expressing. It is completely disheartening to see a few measly mls in the bottom of the bottle after 30 minutes. I persisted with DD but with DS I stopped almost right away. It may nor have been the best choice for my nipples or my supply, but it was for my mental wellbeing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    There is no way either of my babies could go 3hours between feeds at that age. I know some BF and formula fed babies happily go onto a 3-4 hour schedule pretty early, but not mine! They both had formula top-ups, so nothing to do with not getting full each feed, just little tummies. Both fed about 2 hourly with cluster feeding followed by maybe a 3-4 hour break some time at night.

I loathed expressing. It is completely disheartening to see a few measly mls in the bottom of the bottle after 30 minutes. I persisted with DD but with DS I stopped almost right away. It may nor have been the best choice for my nipples or my supply, but it was for my mental wellbeing.
    Yes, my DS was 2 hourly the first few weeks. He had a little built in alarm clock, always ready for a feed exactly two hours later! I just went with it because I was worried about not establishing a good supply if I didn't. I also don't think he would have let me go longer!

Re: cabbage leaves, they can actually effect your supply this early on so maybe try potato slices if you need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you're going through a really rough time! I don't believe that breastfeeding is supposed to hurt like that nurse said.

My only advice is if it's making you miserable there's no harm in switching to formula. Once I did that I was a much happier mumma and could finally enjoy my baby (who is now a tall, slim, highly intelligent, very healthy 3.5 year old

I do remember feeling like I had to get someone's permission to stop trying BF though, which in hindsight makes no sense but when you're in those early days of being a mum and doubting yourself it's so hard.

So just know that however it works out, you're a fantastic mum and you're going to enjoy this new, amazing experience

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

babyla  (13-07-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (14-07-2014),psych  (13-07-2014),RastaMouse  (16-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    It sounds like you're going through a really rough time! I don't believe that breastfeeding is supposed to hurt like that nurse said.

My only advice is if it's making you miserable there's no harm in switching to formula. Once I did that I was a much happier mumma and could finally enjoy my baby (who is now a tall, slim, highly intelligent, very healthy 3.5 year old

I do remember feeling like I had to get someone's permission to stop trying BF though, which in hindsight makes no sense but when you're in those early days of being a mum and doubting yourself it's so hard.

So just know that however it works out, you're a fantastic mum and you're going to enjoy this new, amazing experience
    I totally relate to that feeling of seeking permission

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun.
    I couldn't read and not reply.
    I had the same issues with Ds2.
    No LC in town and the nurses at the hospital were nasty.
    Bub wouldn't take a bottle and had me destroyed in a day. Long story short Bub had a tongue tie no one would listen until he was 4 months. I feed with an eye drop as bottle was no better than breast.
    Formula was my sanity but don't worry too much.
    If you can keep some supply you can get Bub back on the boob when your ready.
    It's called re-lactating. Takes work but once Bub is older is easier.
    PM me if you want to.
    Hugs.

Ds2 is 17 months and fully bf.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to express at various times. The amount varies but the max ive ever got is 60ml & that took forever.

I'll look for a private lc & try to gk to a drop in clinic

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I try to express at various times. The amount varies but the max ive ever got is 60ml & that took forever.

I'll look for a private lc & try to gk to a drop in clinic

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    60 mls is actually really good for the first week!

Pumping in the morning is the best time. And it's not how long you pump that makes a difference but how often.

I have an image of descriptions of a newborn's stomach size which helps put in perspective why they fill up fast and are hungry so soon after. Remember breastmilk is really easily digested.

I'll go find it!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 13-07-2014 at 23:51.