+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope you and bub get some sleep, and the LC can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing

I get where you are coming from. When my 4.5 month old was first born breastfeeding was pure hell. Bleeding and cracked nipples and it wasn't until the 8 weeksish mark things calmed down.

It is crucial you get LC support with every feed. I can't believe the hospital are being so unsupportive and then saying wait until the LC comes tomorrow. I didn't get any support what soever in hospital

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...e&dept_id=3895

This video helped me greatly. I even practiced at home with a dolly and wrote study notes
    Last edited by VicPark; 08-07-2014 at 18:32.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing! I topped up with my eldest and then went back to exclusive BF so it's possible. And it does get easier, I have a 13 week old and we have only ever BF her, but we've only just gotten into a rhythm and finding it easy at the moment.
    Hang in there, but remember you need to look after yourself too! Oh, and try nipple shields, they worked for me and lansinoh (pure lanolin) is a lifesaver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How are you feeling this morning Heartstringz? Hopefully everything feels a little more positive in the daylight. Honestly, they let a mum go through such hell as their "welcome to motherhood" and then wonder why mums get PND!!

It sounds like you are doing an amazing job and proving yourself to be a caring, dedicated mother already.

DS was also cleared by the hospital for tongue tie but diagnosed weeks later by a council LC and clipped. I thought the problem was just because he didn't open his mouth as much as his big sister.

I hope seeing the LC this morning gives you some good tips and guidance. It is a shame when a hospital is so forceful about breastfeeding yet so unsupportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on baby. Did you have a boy or girl? Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. If it's any support b'feeding was far worse pain for me than the labour and delivery - I dreaded every feed. After 9 weeks of pain at every feed I saw an LC who said that I was doing everything 'right' but I just needed to assess whether this is something I wanted to persist with. I persisted and it actually took somewhere between 4-5 mths to become painfree It really impacted bonding with my bub at the start.

I just want you to do what's best for you. My close friend mixed fed bub from the start and managed to do so for 18 mths. Whereas many ppl find they end up switching to full FF soon after. In parenting, there is no one right way. As long as baby is fed and content. I found calling the ABA hotline very useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well the last night at the hospital was . The nightshift midwives were horrible. They finally gave me formula for him but made me feel like I was a terrible mother for using it. They also refused to help me hand express, even though the day shift midwives had helped me. They just gave me the stuff & told me to do it. After 2 hours when id only got 4 drops & they came back & found me bawling they were just like 'oh well everyone goes through this, you just have to deal with it'. I sat there most of the night trying to hand express unsuccessfully, crying & feeling like a terrible mother.

Tonight was also pretty bad. I managed to express a bit with a pump but it was only 2 feeds worth. I tried to pump again later but they were too engorged & it was too painful. Now my breasts are so painful & I cant even express to get it out. So we have to give our baby formula again

The lactation consultang said I need to pump during the night but im struggling to be able to - bubby just wont settle & the second I sit down to start pumping he starts screaming again. Im starting to get really upset & frustrated now!!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh sweetie I feel for you. Mean/unhelpful midwives are the worst! I had a couple shockers while I was in hospital as well. One asked me if I loved my baby! It was obviously written on my file that I was high risk for PND and that was her horrible way of asking me if I was ok. I just disliked her so was quiet every time she came in which somehow led to her thinking I didn't love my baby. Sent me into tears.

Citrus has some great advice above. I also found hand expressing in the shower helped a lot as well. The sensation of the water always caused a let down and it was more relaxing and easier for me to do it in the shower to help soften them up. The engorgement does go away. For me it only happened in the early days or if he slept through a feed.

Did the LC help with pain and latch as well? Did she check his tongue again? DS had a deep posterior tie so was really hard to see. I know I spoke of my pain not going away until about 7 weeks but snipping his TT did help make it bearable which is why I was able to then keep pulling through each week as it got easier and easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was in nicu for a week and was mix fed with ebm and formula. Once my milk properly came in I was able to bf exclusively and we're still going at 10 months.
    Remember though that feeding your baby is the most important thing regardless of whether its bm or formula. Happy mummy is better for baby than stressed mummy. Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry you didn't get any better help through the night. It is hard even with good support.

A warm face washer on your beast when you pump is an awesome way to help let down. Well done expressing enough for 2 feeds - that's actually really good! Typically bub will get out a lot more than expressing.

Were they able to offer you nipple shields? You might want to send someone to the chemist/baby shop to get some. If you're engorged it will be hard for baby to get close to attach properly. They were my saviour with my 1st but they confused my 2nd, so just see how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Well the last night at the hospital was . The nightshift midwives were horrible. They finally gave me formula for him but made me feel like I was a terrible mother for using it. They also refused to help me hand express, even though the day shift midwives had helped me. They just gave me the stuff & told me to do it. After 2 hours when id only got 4 drops & they came back & found me bawling they were just like 'oh well everyone goes through this, you just have to deal with it'. I sat there most of the night trying to hand express unsuccessfully, crying & feeling like a terrible mother.

Tonight was also pretty bad. I managed to express a bit with a pump but it was only 2 feeds worth. I tried to pump again later but they were too engorged & it was too painful. Now my breasts are so painful & I cant even express to get it out. So we have to give our baby formula again

The lactation consultang said I need to pump during the night but im struggling to be able to - bubby just wont settle & the second I sit down to start pumping he starts screaming again. Im starting to get really upset & frustrated now!!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I just wanted to say you are doing an amazing job. It's criminal that you are being treated this way and I can relate in lots of ways to being treated like this. Giving your baby formula doesn't make you anything but a mum who is feeding her baby. Pumping around the clock is hard work and lots of people can do it and make it work but some can't and that's ok too. I lasted about a month doing this as well as comp feeding.

I know you have had a very strained pregnancy with anxiety and I just wanted to say that whatever you choose to do - because it is your choice - it's ok, it doesn't make you a good, bad or fabulous or terrible mother, it makes you a mother.

Do what you think you can manage, do what works for you and your baby and importantly do what is best for your own mental health. These midwives will not be there in a few days, weeks and months. It is really hard to not feel judged by midwives who don't know even know you - when are you going home? do you have your DH able to help at night with settling while you pump? If you need advice on comp feeding with formula and switching I am happy to help - call out there are lots of women here who have been through this and you don't need to feel isolated.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (09-07-2014),MilkingMaid  (10-07-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast