+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I don't feel like I have any choice - hand expressing is taking way too long to keep up so I'll just have to breastfeed all night. Hopefully bubby won't drink too much blood. And hopefully I can do it without crying too much. God this place is in the dark ages.....
    I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time. Have you tried using a hospital pump or have you just been hand expressing? I pumped exclusively for 12 weeks and I found a pump more comfortable than hand expressing.

I really feel for you and I hope a change of shift brings you some more supportive and helpful midwives xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your advice. I'll have to breastfeed all night tonight & then will probably start him on formula once we get home.

Given my nipples have already been bleeding for the last day though, I dread to think what they'll be like after a night of cluster feeding. I can hardly wear tops at the moment, I'm in agony if anything touches my nipples. God I can't do this tonight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lots of hugs, it's so tough when they're unsettled :-(

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats heart!!
    My milk didn't come in until day 2, some take 5 days.
    Your doing great, keep at it.
    It took me about 3 weeks for the latching on and sore nipples to fade
    Stick at the nipple cream

Thanks
    Reviews
    My milk didn't come in until about day three. And ds seemed to always be attached!! The nurses tried hand expressing me which was painful so I used their pump and syringe fed.
    When home my supply was low so I comp fed with formula using slow flow teat and no problem with nipple confusion.

Remember that you are the decision maker when it comes to you and bub no one else. Do what you are comfortable with. If there is one good nurse that will listen talk to her. With my dd I expressed for four monyhs before getting her on the breast so I understand its a stressful time...

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just my opinion, but I'd keep the pumps away from your nipples if they are bleeding. I've seen it do more harm than good.
    Can your partner bring you a bottle and formula? The hospital can't dictate how you feed. The one where I gave birth to all my kids wouldn't provide bottles and formula. I found it ridiculous when I had my fourth that the poor lady next to me was struggling and her baby was hungry but they wouldn't give her any formula. They had it but it was only for the special care unit. She and the baby cried all night .
    I'm pro breast feeding but more pro mothers being happy. I watched a close friend struggle through bleeding cracked nipples with her first, it was horrible. It's not wrong to feed the baby formula while you settle in.
    Hand express and breast feed as you can. He pump is much different to the baby sucking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your little arrival! Those first few days are such a blur!

I agree with PPs, try the hospital pump. It doesn't touch your nipples at all and I would pump when I could not stand to have DS latched on again. If the current nurse is not being very helpful, once they do the shift change ask the new nurse for anything the other nurse said no to (eg. formula, pump, nipple shields etc etc).

Also, I found having something firm onto my nipples like a nursing bra helped so much with the discomfort over just wearing PJs/T-shirt. The clothes just rub and irritate but the bra stays put. Get lanolin (Lanisoh) onto your nipples first though so the leaking (milk and blood) doesn't dry and stick.

Overnight, don't worry if you need to ask the nurse to take your baby for a little while. I wish I had done this more with my 1st, so when my 2nd came along he would work himself into a state each night around 1-3am. He'd already been cluster feeding for a few hours but would then not know if he wanted to be on, off, wouldn't sleep, wouldn't fully wake etc. As soon as he was away from the milk smell he would just fall asleep and the nurse would bring him back when he woke an hour or 2 later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @heartstringz I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. I really struggle to see how when your nipples are bleeding and you're in tears they can't offer you any formula to give your nipples a break. I know there's a big hoo-ha about the baby friendly initiative but it can be such a roadblock when trying to provide quality and appropriate care to women.

For what it's worth the bleeding nipples won't harm baby. If I could help you out I would. I'd happily sneak you a bottle of formula if it meant your nipples got some rest and your little one stopped screaming. I hope it gets better from here. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I'm really struggling with hand expressing too & bub is currently cluster feeding. I literally can't keep up & the hospital will kick DH out soon & I'll having a baby that screams not stop all night. The hospital won't let me put him on formula, they are forcing me to express. And then I keep getting told that if I can't express then I just have to put baby on the breast. My nipples are literally bleeding from being forced to breastfeed.

The LC won't see us till tomorrow & I have no clue what I'm going to do tonight. Bubby is two days old & I've basically spent every breast feed crying in pain & frustration & every attempt at expressing crying cause I can't do it & that also now hurts.

Bubby does not have tongue tie etc, just won't open his mouth wide enough
    We got told DS didn't have a tongue tie by the hospital and then a private LC diagnosed it (no LC at hospital).

DS also wouldn't open his mouth wide enough, unfortunately that was something that just time fixed, as he got older his mouth got bigger...

I found that doing a 'bulls eye' latch rather than the asymmetrical latch that they tell you to do helped heaps. My nipples are smaller than average so in order to get the whole thing in his mouth I had to center him rather than start him at the bottom like they tell you to.

An LC helped immensely but also just time. I wasn't pain free until 7 weeks but every week got easier. DS's latch was fine once we saw an LC and had his tongue snipped and everyone telling me it shouldn't hurt anymore, it made me feel like I must be doing it wrong. Finally a friend said it hurts until 7 weeks and then all of the sudden it doesn't, you get used to it and they're bigger and it all works out. So every week I just kept telling myself to make it through one more week and finally at 7 weeks it was like magic.

I was where you are, I cried every feed the first two weeks and now it seems like a distant memory. Once his latch was fixed the damage to my nipples went away quickly.

Pumping was a great break but make sure to do it under your LC's advice as I gave myself and oversupply.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-07-2014 at 23:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hospital won't give you formula? That makes me really mad! It's not very "baby friendly" of them to deny a baby a feed.

Can you ask another nurse overnight?

Get hubby to bring you some in the morning. I'm a firm believer in just feeding babies. You shouldn't have to put yourself through this stress, though I understand what it's like - I wasn't offered formula top ups til day 5 in the hospital and my DD was dehydrated at that point. They made me feel like it was a last resort but my DD thrived on formula.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you quickly. Do what feels right and makes you happy and lets you enjoy your beautiful new baby.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (08-07-2014)