Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    There's been lots if excellent advice but I just wanted to say that yes it is possible and want to wish you all the best xx.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm really struggling with hand expressing too & bub is currently cluster feeding. I literally can't keep up & the hospital will kick DH out soon & I'll having a baby that screams not stop all night. The hospital won't let me put him on formula, they are forcing me to express. And then I keep getting told that if I can't express then I just have to put baby on the breast. My nipples are literally bleeding from being forced to breastfeed.

The LC won't see us till tomorrow & I have no clue what I'm going to do tonight. Bubby is two days old & I've basically spent every breast feed crying in pain & frustration & every attempt at expressing crying cause I can't do it & that also now hurts.

Bubby does not have tongue tie etc, just won't open his mouth wide enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs hun, it sounds tough. My DS wouldn't open his mouth wide enough either to start with and it was horrible. He was a few days older when we tried but feeding lying down seemed to help him position and latch better (and I was more relaxed too so didn't jump as badly in pain when he latched). And nipple shields were helpful too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the LC can help in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing that helped me with the hand expressing in hospital was a hot shower first and massaging. From my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong add is still new to me) bub needs to cluster feed to help bring on your milk. How was your birth? Are you taking any pain relief? Maybe you could take something just to help ease some of the pain.

Eta-like misstrouble said, try a different position to let the damaged areas heal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is your baby. If you want to give him formula no-one can stop you. My eldest had top ups until I got my supply sorted and was bf till 3 years. If giving a top up stops his screaming and gets you a big extra sleep then you will have a chance to rest and make more milk. If needs be send hubby out to get formula.

And remember we're all here with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't feel like I have any choice - hand expressing is taking way too long to keep up so I'll just have to breastfeed all night. Hopefully bubby won't drink too much blood. And hopefully I can do it without crying too much. God this place is in the dark ages.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes it is possible. Breasts are amazing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also for nipples I STRONGLY advise multi mum compresses.

They are the best. They will heal and soothe badly cracked nipples and you don't need to wash it off before expressing/feeding.

They are pricey but most definitely worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op, I see you have a lot of great advice - I hope it works out the best for you. I'd just like to ask; those who topped up in the early days and then were able to go back to exclusive bf, did you use a bottle or syringes? I have always just been worried about nipple confusion and faster flow from a bottle, but have always had supply problems. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app