+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing. I wanted a close age gap, hasn't happened due to health issues. I'm interested to read others experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 18months between ds1 and dd and they play very nicely (most of the time!) and are able to play developmentally similar games due to their close ages. Ds2 is 3yrs and months younger than dd and at times gets left out of the 'big kids' games, cause he wrecks then! But he and dd play really really well together. They both like silliness and are not as serious as ds1. Next bub will be 16months younger than ds2 - watch this space! I think personality has as much to do with it as age.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's 3yrs and 8months between dd and ds2 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted mine 2 yrs apart but my life took other turns.
    There is 3 yrs 5 mths between the first two who have the same dad. I just didn't get pregnant when I wanted to. My eldest is asd and was very delayed so it was like a 2 yr old and a newborn anyway.

My third is my first child with my now husband and she came 4 yrs 4 months after my second. This was definitely the easiest gap.
    Fourth was 2 yrs after her, lots of jealousy but not direct, more indirect in the form of tantrums.
    Fifth was 2 yrs 9 mths (my 4th is also asd) and again, lots of jealousy which was more physical.
    My 6th is due just before my 5th is 3. I think this gap will work for him. I had a miscarriage last year, he would have been 2.5 had the pregnancy worked out and it would have been tough. He understands a lot more now and I don't think there will be too many issues with him. Fingers crossed!

I think it's hard to predict. Personality plays such a big factor. But for me I'm glad I had the 4.5 yr gap because now my daughter is 12 and she really helps take care of her siblings with me. My husband works away. She and her sister get along just as well as if there were two years between them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, we're hoping 2 year gap

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 children.

#1 & #2 are 20 months apart.

#2 & #3 are almost 3 years apart.

Ideally we would have had our first two closer together - we wanted to start trying again when DD1 was 4 months old - but I was BFing and didn't ovulate until I'd stopped.

I find the smaller age gap between our first two great, and wish we'd have had our third closer to the other two. At the time DD2 was born, we thought we were done...then a couple of years later I got clucky and realised I wanted a third, so that's why the gap was bigger.

In our situation, we both wanted to do the pregnancy/newborn years as close together as possible, but I completely understand people who plan on having large gaps, for example, so they can focus on a new baby once the older ones are at school, or to avoid the cost of having 2+ children in childcare at once etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have 4 girls
    Dd1 & dd2 are almost exactly 3 years apart
    Dd2 & dd3 are 2 years 1 month apart
    D3 and dd4 are 21 months apart.

I found the 3 year age gap and 21 month age gap to be the best.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many different opinions I agree though a 2 nearly 3 yr old the jealousy and behaviour really kicks in I found with my son ds1 dd1 was perfect,y fine even when ds1 was born she was just 2 no jealousy or behaviour probs I think closer may be better in ways thAt they will be able to play better together not the jealousy as too young mayb although hard work with babie and a small toddler two at once that soley depend on you at all times then. Though u get it over and done with.

Would anyone change the gaps they have?if so what to?

Me. Prob the last instead of 3 yrs I'd have it like my first two 18 months

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nah I wouldn't change it except it would have been cool to have then on sane day or just under a yr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chan87 View Post
    What about those who have 3 or more kids?
    21 months between my first two which I loved. Really wished they were 18 months apart.
    26 months between my 2nd and 3rd - also loved. In the early days I found that age gap a bit easier, my 2nd child understood things a bit more.
    3years 11 months between no 1 and 3, which I thought would be hard as I figured my oldest would lose interest in her youngest sibling really quickly (there's 4 years between my mum and aunty and they both say it's an awful age gap based on their experiences growing up, despite being super close in adulthood), but nope...those two are as thick as thieves and always have been.

However, I would never have 3 under 4 again, but then when I think about when I would think it would be ideal to have a 3rd, there's never a good time. I had three at home full time and that was tough, and then the first couple of years of school I was waking a baby/toddler from their nap every single day, and trying to assist with homework/readers was a nightmare because there was a screaming baby/tired toddler. I wouldn't want a newborn whilst dealing with the rush that is the school schedule, but others really like it.

There are pros and con's to each age gap and there's no one size fits all. My first and third get along the best now, but I imagine when my oldest is 13, and she has a 9 year old brother annoying her it's not going to be so fun, whereas the similar age gap that seems to bother my oldest and middle child now might work in their favour when they are both teenagers with an annoying little brother The dynamics of a family are always changing, so just add to it when the time feels right for you. There's no such thing as the 'perfect' age gap.
    Last edited by Full House; 08-07-2014 at 21:00.