+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've never been to sleep school but if I did out of desperation, I would want results immediately!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Its something I have always wondered, I haven't ever heard about anyone going to sleep school and their babies / toddlers not sleeping through within weeks/ months.

That to me says that there are ways for those babies and toddlers (and therefore their parents) to get decent sleep and sleep through not long after, yet there's still an argument that some babies and toddlers just don't sleep or need zyz to sleep

Is it not just possible that their parents haven't tried that magic bullet that will work for their kid?

Sorry does that even make sense?
    I have. I have known quite a few who went to sleep school and either (a) failed or (b) worked for a few weeks until the next milestone or illness and then sleep went out the window.

Maybe because my kids are getting older or maybe because I've had 4 of them but "sleeping through" just isn't the magic solution for me. Life is hectic and chaotic. I must be insane but I have adored my 2am feeds with DD3 as they are such a rare time when it's just her and me and silence.

Don't get me wrong I can live without 4 feeds a night and also without being awake between 2 and 5 am (a common occurrence in our house), but I have an 8 year and a 5 year old who both sleep beautifully so I know it's not forever.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-07-2014),CazHazKidz  (08-07-2014),misskittyfantastico  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can only speak for me; but I had zero interest in going to get the "magic bullet" even though my first was an awful sleeper for the first year and I was up 5-6 times a night sometimes.

I get very distressed with listening to crying and was happier to let him sleep through in his own time. I can't really explain it - but sleep deprivation was a lesser torture for me,than having someone force parenting philosophies on me that went against all my instincts, even if it meant more sleep at a younger age.

I know those who have loved sleep school and that's great for them. I also know some who have "failed" sleep school and who have felt shamed and inadequate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know several babies who 'failed' sleep school or got an improvement, but not a great one (so went from waking 4-5 times to 2-3). My cousin went to a sleep school, and they made them stay an extra week, then, after two weeks they determined that her baby is one who doesn't need a lot of sleep, wished her luck and sent her on her way.
    I also treasured the middle of the night feeds with my third, as they were a time when I could just focus on him in the peace and quiet of the house. Sure I was tired, but knew it wasn't forever and it was often the only time I got to just cuddle and gaze at my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    3-4yrs
    2weeks
    3-4 yrs
    3yrs and counting
    They would have had the odd sleep through earlier but that was the consistant, mostly sleeping through ages.
    Nothing I did or didn't do made the slightest bit of difference. One amazing sleeper and 3 non sleepers. Dh is a sleeper and I'm a non sleeper. My kids are older now 16, 11, 6 and 3. I think it's just how they are. 16 and 6 still both non sleepers, 11yo still a sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS woke anywhere up to 6 times a night for a bf until 20 months.

We've used a routine with him since early on as it helped ensure he wasn't overtired come night time. If we had a disrupted day he always slept terribly that night.

A month ago I had enough and cut his night feeds. DH went into him instead and cuddled him back to sleep. After a few nights he mostly sleeps through 7-6ish. Have had a week of a few wakeups but he was sick so I expected that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Both my bubs were breastfed and on SOS routines. Ds1 slept 7-7 from about 3 months (with a dreamfeed). Ds2 is 4.5 months and still wakes once per night (around 3): main difference is he won't really take a dreamfeed.
    For me some key things (picked up from my local MACH clinic and not just SOS):
    - don't assume bub wants a feed every time he cries. Sometimes bub needs help going to sleep.
    - put bub to be drowsy but not asleep (you can still use feed/dummy/pat etc, just make sure bub is drowsy but awake/take the dummy out etc when you put him down).0
    Last edited by VicPark; 08-07-2014 at 07:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One really annoying thing I've noticed is after 3 years of broken sleep, now dd is finally sleeping through regularly I am MORE tired after nights where she doesnt wake me up. My stupid brain has totally adapted to being up through the night, I really struggles when I get a full nights sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
    One really annoying thing I've noticed is after 3 years of broken sleep, now dd is finally sleeping through regularly I am MORE tired after nights where she doesnt wake me up. My stupid brain has totally adapted to being up through the night, I really struggles when I get a full nights sleep!
    Once you catch up on your sleep deficit you'll readjust. Then on the occasional night they wake up you'll be completely shattered and wonder how you coped with months of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Its something I have always wondered, I haven't ever heard about anyone going to sleep school and their babies / toddlers not sleeping through within weeks/ months.

That to me says that there are ways for those babies and toddlers (and therefore their parents) to get decent sleep and sleep through not long after, yet there's still an argument that some babies and toddlers just don't sleep or need zyz to sleep

Is it not just possible that their parents haven't tried that magic bullet that will work for their kid?

Sorry does that even make sense?
    For some parents the methods offered at sleep schools are against their parenting beliefs. They go, get shocked or upset, leave wither either both parents and or bub traumatized and then the guilt sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @Allie Pallie sadly I know of babies that went to sleep school(s) and that didn't improve.
    This. I know more parents IRL that sleep schools haven't worked for than ones that have.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.