+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is 20 months and we can have 2 weeks straight of sleeping through the night and then the next night he'll wake. Last night we had a 1-3AM party in my bed. He pointed to his nose and belly button a lot telling me what it was :/ I think his first period (longer than a week) was about 15 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I could not be a parent like my ex friend was. It was so difficult to deal with, and she was so strung out having such a rigid routine.

I was like this with DD and you know why, routine worked for my DD, it ensured she slept through and continued to.
    I live in fear - yes fear that DD will stop sleeping through the night, the ionlyway to ensure i feel relaxed about life in general is by keeping to a routine that will enable DD to continue sleeping through.

There is no way I could go back to that, nit with another baby on the way who will be waking in the night.

So what also might be seen as highly strung or no way to live might just be a better alternative to a stressed out and depressed mummy from a baby or toddler who wakes at night.

So as you can see, it works both ways. Id love to have no routine and children who always sleep through, but I'm not giving up my routine for anything if it outs that at risk, no way!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-07-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My kids all slept through from 4 months onwards; when their bottle quantity was at 180ml per feed.

BUT

I hadto co sleep with my first and third to make this happen, because they just wanted to be with me ALL the time, same goes for day sleeps. First didnt stop co sleeping until he was 3.5 yrs and my 3rd stopped co sleeping at 7 months.

My second wanted to be in his own cot from day dot, hated being held.

I was never overly rigid about sleep times. Just as long as the first year they had two day sleeps. Now my youngest is down to one day nap and i make sure she gets it. Its not specific but its usually after she has had lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Allie Pallie it's completely fine to stick with a rigid routine, but I'm assuming you then didn't expect others to fit in around that routine? Personally my need for interaction with the outside world overrides my need for sleep so I often sacrifice sleep for a social engagement. I would never expect others to work around my kids sleep needs.

I guess I always went into having kids knowing I'd have broken nights, but knowing it wouldn't be forever.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-07-2014),smallpotatoes  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe my experience with my oldest has tainted my view on children and sleep (he is 5 and still doesn't sleep through), but it is just not something I even vaguely expect when I have a baby. Dd was born almost 4 months ago and for a while there she was only waking twice over night and I thought that was amazing. She wakes far more regularly now, definitely more like I had anticipated life would be while I was pregnant, and I am ok with that. It has not crossed my mind to attempt different methods to get dd to sleep through, maybe because I accepted long ago that sleep is a thing of the past for me (sad as that may be!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Full House  (09-07-2014),Sonja  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    8 months, when we moved her into her own cot/room. We were co sleeping and I was waking her throughout my sleep (I'm a very restless sleeper). I wish we moved her into her own room earlier as she literally slept through from the moment we did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD slept 7-7 from 11 weeks. I put it down to her having a small appetite (she has never been a hungry kid), and our sticking to a bedtime routine.

And early on I always tried to start our day at 7am. Even if she had a feed at 5am or 6am I'd wake her up for the day at 7am (that only took a few days). And bedtime always by 7pm.

Never had to let her cry. I guess she'd just wake after each sleep cycle and drift off to sleep again rather than need a feed or a cuddle.

Dummies and a love to dream wrap also helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I was like this with DD and you know why, routine worked for my DD, it ensured she slept through and continued to.
    I live in fear - yes fear that DD will stop sleeping through the night, the ionlyway to ensure i feel relaxed about life in general is by keeping to a routine that will enable DD to continue sleeping through.

There is no way I could go back to that, nit with another baby on the way who will be waking in the night.

So what also might be seen as highly strung or no way to live might just be a better alternative to a stressed out and depressed mummy from a baby or toddler who wakes at night.

So as you can see, it works both ways. Id love to have no routine and children who always sleep through, but I'm not giving up my routine for anything if it outs that at risk, no way!
    Of course. In my friend's circumstance she was highly strung out and stressed, for her having a strict routine helped her to feel in control of a situation she really had no control over. I do know through mutual friends that she has relaxed more with her 2nd, which is great, because even though we're not friends anymore I think everyone deserve to enjoy their baby.
    However, I wasn't saying that people shouldn't live that way if it helps them, I was pointing out that one's perception of a parent who didn't value their baby/toddler's need for sleep might not actually be the truth.
    As it turned out for me, my third absolutely refused to sleep when out (pram, carrier, car...he wouldn't sleep in any of it) so we had to be home more to ensure he got some sleep. I wasn't flippant about it. Some days he did miss out on sleep if we were out all day, they weren't a regular occurrence but we went to the Gold Coast for a holiday when he was 3 months old, so on theme park days he was awake all day....for us, at the end of the day we'd grab some take away (instead of going out to eat) and he'd be in bed for the night at 5pm. The next day we stayed at the resort so he could have proper naps. He was our baby who had the least routine ever due to him being the third and us having other things to do...but he was the first of my 3 to have a predictable sleeping routine at home, and if we were out and his routine got messed up, he fell straight back in to it when we were home again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

But I'm sure you didn't make other people follow your schedule? It's one thing for a parent to set a schedule but it's completely different if they expect everyone else to follow their timings.

I've been invited to a 1st bday party 6.30pm-late. It suits me but another mutual friend will probably not attend as it's her kids bedtime. And that's ok!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In some countries/cultures kids staying up late, being out late is pretty normal. It's just not in Australia which is why some people on here might think it's odd.

I am a big fan of 7pm bed time myself! I don't need to hang out with my kid in the evening thanks. I want to eat dinner, have a glass of wine and watch TV in peace 😃

I also love being home for nap time so I can have time to myself, and would sacrifice a coffee date or whatever to get that (and so I can watch Offspring).

Before he turned one though he never slept more than 45 mins so never planned anything round it and just woke him if I needed to. I cannot stand it when people are late to meet me because they refused to wake their baby. It's rude. Don't make a time if you can't keep it.

I also have one friend who has two kids and life revolves around their differing nap times so I always have to go to her rather than take turns going to each other. All this means is I choose to see her less often.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (09-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-07-2014)