+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sleeping through the night

For no reason other than my curiosity, when did your baby start sleeping through the night?

Did you do anything to encourage that or was it spontaneous?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first was sleeping 12 hours solid by 10 weeks old. My second still wakes & she's 2 years!!
    Not something that i can make happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS1 started doing 10-6 when he was 10 months old. This was after a visit to sleep school. He did 7-7 at 16 months after I weaned him.

DS2 went straight from waking every two hours to doing 7-7 at 12 weeks. Still going strong at 10 months.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 had consistently done a 5-6hr stretch from birth but started sleeping 7-7 at 5 weeks when I introduced dreamfeeds (only did them for a week), routine and encouraged her to self settle (pat and 'shh shh' when grizzling, pick up for cuddles when crying).
    -she was breastfed when she started sleeping through

Dd2 came home at 7 weeks on a 3 hourly routine, but she threw that out the window and neither of us were getting much sleep at all. She started sleeping 7-7 at 3 months after a few weeks of implementing the same methods as with dd1.
    -she was mix fed when she started sleeping through

Thanks
    Reviews
    5 weeks she slept 8 hours which gradually increased to about 11, she's now 2 and still sleeps about 10hrs every night. She was formula fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was doing 10-12 hour stretches from about 5 weeks.

Then it all went to hell in a hand basket around 18 weeks and no amount of anything changed it until 10.5 months - coincidentally the time frame in which she went from trying to crawl to when she started walking.

I'm SO looking forward to doing it all again soon ...

*pours wine*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From memory it was at about 5-6 months old. DS was on EBM bottle feeds at that stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    DD was 10 months old. No effort from us at that time really.

However we started shhhh pat from 3 months and once DD was finally diagnosed with silent reflux and was medicated and on soy formula and solids at 4.5 months she started only waking twice each night for a feed, at 7 months she started self settling without the shhh pat.

Slowly dropped back to 1 feed, then no feeds. The first night she slept through was Christmas eve.
    Best.Christmas.Present.EVER!!!

It was the long term teaching to self settle, on a schedule and doing a nap time and bed time routine that it all just eventually all went together.

I can almost guarantee that if I had continued to feed or rock to sleep and didn't start with a schedule (not to the minute but 15 minutes give or take) she wouldn't have slept through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 years, 2 years, and then 3 years for it to be a regular occurrence where you could to bed assuming you wouldn't have to get up again.
    My kids sleeping habits as babies was certainly one of the reasons why we didn't go on to have more babies. They all dropped their day time naps early on too...down to one nap at 10 months, 8 months, and 7 months. My youngest (the worst sleeper) dropped naps altogether at 18 months.
    We tried some gentle techniques to encourage better sleeping habits with no success, but my oldest, at 8 1/2, seems to need far less sleep than the majority of her friends still. It's just the way they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    2 years, 2 years, and then 3 years for it to be a regular occurrence where you could to bed assuming you wouldn't have to get up again.
    My kids sleeping habits as babies was certainly one of the reasons why we didn't go on to have more babies. They all dropped their day time naps early on too...down to one nap at 10 months, 8 months, and 7 months. My youngest (the worst sleeper) dropped naps altogether at 18 months.
    We tried some gentle techniques to encourage better sleeping habits with no success, but my oldest, at 8 1/2, seems to need far less sleep than the majority of her friends still. It's just the way they are.
    This is pretty well our story too. We always said if we had a 4th she wouldn't sleep and we had a 4th and she didn't.

We have very low expectations for first year or 2.