+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Develop your coping mechanisms. Start a group email with friends so if you work on a computer you have a friendly email to make you smile. Group conversations keep momentum much more than one on one emails.

Always pack a yummy lunch so you have something to look forward to!

Mentally play games with yourself. Like if a coworker has a habit of saying the same word all the time keep a running tally and mentally bet what it will be each day.

Honestly most jobs suck. Just sit back and bide your time and your b-tichy work mates will implode on themselves. I've seen it happen time and time again. They get all chummy chummy. Then the proverbial hits the fan and they all hate each other. It's coming. Just wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately not everyone is lucky enough to LOVE their job. In your case, it doesn't appear to be the job that's the problem, but the people.

If these people are talking about you, making you feel uncomfortable, excluding you, then you are essentially the victim of workplace bullying. I would voice your concerns to the appropriate person and make it clear that you don't feel happy coming to work. They need to deal with the situation.

It is hard being in a toxic environment at work as it influences the other factors of your life.

I personally wouldn't sacrifice a job that I know I couldn't replace (in terms of pay, etc). I would take the steps to resolve the issues, if it isn't dealt with, then I would look at quitting (if I had another secure job to go to).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Develop your coping mechanisms. Start a group email with friends so if you work on a computer you have a friendly email to make you smile. Group conversations keep momentum much more than one on one emails.
    This is OK if you use a personal email to do it but I would be very careful about use of company email for personal things. Where I used to work it was policy that if your manager had any concerns about how you were performing, or if they thought you were spending too much time doing personal things in work time, they could ask IT for access to your email account and essentially see all of your emails. I'm not saying that it happens in every work place but company email accounts are monitored so you should think carefully before striking up ongoing conversations with friends during work time. Of course, some personal use is fine and generally expected but what those limits are depends on the employer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips. Im back at work tomorrow so im going to try a couple of things.
    I actually woke up this morming and the first thing I thought ot was work tomorrow.. augh.. plus a stomach ache after that.

I am even thinking of asking for a big chunk of time off.. I have heaps of leave to take.. just to see if my health improves while im on leave.
    I would love working from home but I can see my motivation falling away slowly and getting more caught up in cleaning ..watching tv etc when I should be working.. lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @pisang, that feeling of dread is not good!

You would be surprised how good working from home can be. If your employer was willing, maybe you could try it one or two days a week and the rest of the time in the office. At least then you'd get a bit of a break from the environment and also see if it suits you. I consulted from home for three years and loved it! Although at the end of that time I was happy to get back into an office a few days a week, just for the daily face-to-face interaction with people.

Otherwise, taking a chunk of leave is a good way to gauge just how much the work environment is impacting on you. Then you can make a more informed decision about what you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am in a job / workplace I'm not enjoying anymore.

When I first started almost 3 years ago, I loved my job. Despite the role being stressful and extremely demanding, I loved the people I worked with!

Fast forward 2 years, a new manager and new team members, more stress and responsibility, I'm finding that I'm not enjoying it anymore at all. I'm constantly frustrated and cranky and recently an event at work has left me thinking about resigning on a daily basis.

The only reason why I'm still there is because we're trying for a baby and I need the maternity leave. *sigh*

I miss being happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear your in the aam position mrsklm it's a horrible feeling. I woke up at 4am the day before my first shift back after a week and couldnt sleep again and started getting stomach ache and head aches it was horrible.

I just submitted a form for leave.. well I havnt hit send yet. Im asking for a month off but dont know if I should say due to health reasons on the form or not. Sometimes its hard to get approved so wondering if that will help but at the same time I dont want to make a big deal to them about my stress issues..

And hoping doc can help me in that time off get it under control if thats even possible??is it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    @pisang I often wake up with a tight feeling in my chest and sick feeling in my stomach - it's the anxiety I have each morning before work.

I too was thinking about taking some time off, some stress leave, but I'm insure how to go about getting a medical cert from the doctor.

I've been getting the worst headaches from all the stress too. Not something you need when trying to conceive.

Being unhappy at work is the worst feeling. Especially when you spend so much time there. I'm not enjoying the role nor the people, but the pay is good. I've been in this industry since I left school and I'm often pondering what else I could do that I would enjoy.

I feel that I'm at a crossroads!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    @pisang I often wake up with a tight feeling in my chest and sick feeling in my stomach - it's the anxiety I have each morning before work.

I too was thinking about taking some time off, some stress leave, but I'm insure how to go about getting a medical cert from the doctor.

I've been getting the worst headaches from all the stress too. Not something you need when trying to conceive.

Being unhappy at work is the worst feeling. Especially when you spend so much time there. I'm not enjoying the role nor the people, but the pay is good. I've been in this industry since I left school and I'm often pondering what else I could do that I would enjoy.

I feel that I'm at a crossroads!
    Oh we are exactly the same! Im thinking I will get a doc note to support my leave request actually .. that is a good idea because your leave cant get knocked back then. My doc is really nice so I think I will go and just ask for a note to say I need time off for medical reasons and to keep it subtle like that.. I dont want them to know its stress really.

Keep me posted on how you go too. Im going to make an appointment monday to get in as soon as I can to see him to get more help.. and hope this leave gets approved so I can focus on relaxing!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Oh we are exactly the same! Im thinking I will get a doc note to support my leave request actually .. that is a good idea because your leave cant get knocked back then. My doc is really nice so I think I will go and just ask for a note to say I need time off for medical reasons and to keep it subtle like that.. I dont want them to know its stress really.

Keep me posted on how you go too. Im going to make an appointment monday to get in as soon as I can to see him to get more help.. and hope this leave gets approved so I can focus on relaxing!
    This is a good idea. It's a way to take time off, that your workplace can't deny and without having to decide to go down the track of workcover or anything full on like that. It might just give you some time away from the place where you can think and regroup.

Your Dr won't have to say anything like "needs time off for medical reasons". All they usually write is "unfit for work until x date". It's not your work place's business why you need time off.
    Just make sure you don't do anything too awesome on your time off and make the mistake of posting all about it on facebook!