+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stress at work want to quit but cant

I need to vent and get some advice..
    Work is a major stress on me. So much that it affects my health .. headaches daily.. feeling off.. so stressed. Causing me to fight with dh more.

Now work.. I am part time but 10hr days. I love the job and the pay is really high for what I do.. but I really dont like the people which is the stress. I have tried to just keep to myself and get along with them but people seem to make themselves get in my way then make me feel down by saying something or making me feel like im not in the group.. I just would rather sit there in my own world because I just get put down but this doesnt seem to help.. so causes me more stress going there. The place used to be great when I started but in the last 2 years they have hired heaps of people and they just have all been nasty in my eyes..

I want to quit so so bad.. but I cant so no to the money and part time.. no way could I find anything else to pay so high with no formal training that I have unless I go back to study which would takes years.

Anyone else in my situation with the stress from work that you cant escape? Any tips? Even on my time off I worry about work which sux.. I wish I would win lotto so I could just quit!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the same boat! I went back to work when my dd was 4 months it's been 2 months now and I hate every minute of work. It's the same job I've been doing for years so it's not the work it's the people. I work in pubs so it's a mans world and they just talk crap my whole shift and I am the only girl in the bar and I have to listen to it constantly. Typical w*nker talk about women and they talk to me like I'm stupid even tho I have been managing pubs for years. Same situation tho good money and we can't afford for me to quit. Get anxiety just thinking about having to get ready to go to work. I don't feel I'm ready either as my dd is only 6 months. Absolutely hate this situation and feel like I'm stuck! No advice for you but your not alone! Also causes me to fight with dh as I feel like he should be more understanding and let me have longer with dd at home. But it's not his fault it's just what we have to do to pay bills but I take it out on him like I expect him to earn more and me stay at home like the old days but it's just not possible! Hugs for you xxx wish I could give you advice it's such a crap situation I just wish people would let us do our jobs and not talk at all lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Generally once you've got it into your head that you don't want to be there, then it makes the whole experience that much more miserable and does stress you out a lot more. Those feelings don't change they just intensify the longer you stay.

I struggled through a job I hated for a very long time (loved my co-workers but hated the work itself because of all the stupid OTT processes and policies dealing with government ministers, etc) but then quit early in this pregnancy because it was actually causing high blood pressure. Financially, it hasn't been the easiest thing but, honestly, a month or so after I quit I was a different person. I was actually happy!!! It's awful to admit but I'd forgotten what that felt like.

No amount of money is worth it when you're stressed out all the time and your health suffers as a result. If you really feel that you can't quit and not work, could you start looking for something else and hopefully get something then resign?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. I am on the look out for something else but the job I have is sort after.. for the hours and pay its amazing. I love that part. Its just the stress of it and the staff that I dont enjoy.. sux.
    I do try keep to myself but doesnt seem to work. I still get dragged into stupid stuff.

I will make a more conscious effort to stay away from people and reallllllly keep to myself and see if things change. Its just sad. I wish it was like it was before all these new staff from a couple of years ago to now.. totally ruined an awesome environment

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i had a job that i hated for more than a year. i had to stay there but eventually i got transferred to a new office with different people, and everything was better. i used to just rant and rave to my hubby, every night after work. He cooked dinner while i complained and i don't think he even listened, but once i got it off my chest i was able to forget and face each new day. i would look for some way to just ignore or let it go. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Similar situation here, don't like my job but won't get same pay for part time work so am sticking it out.

I actually think that trying to keep to yourself and not interact makes things worse. I've worked for 20 years now and the people who keep to themselves can bring a negative vibe to a work place so it becomes a self perpetuating cycle. There is one person at work I can't stand, but I do interact with her - don't want to have a situation where she can complain I'm not helpful.

I would encourage you to rethink about keeping to yourself if you are going to stay.

Just my thoughts

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing Op. Hating work is awful, especially when we spend so much time at work.
    Is there anyone you can speak to about this? HR? Or is there an employee assistance program?
    The only advice I can give is to go to work and be friendly but not friends - don't get too close to these people, but be polite, helpful and professional and include yourself where you can. e.g group lunches or things like that.
    And take control by looking for something else. you might have to sacrifice some of the cash to get a better environment.
    I'm not saying you should just accept it of course, but if you don't want to report the issues to anyone, nothing is likely to change.
    Colleagues can make the best jobs difficult!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.
    I didnt think keeping to myself might make it worse.. ahh! I will try and change my thoughts to happy thoughts and just try and see if that changes things in the short term.

Talking to dh tonight we have agreed that I have to take a pay cut to get something im going to be happier at and maybe shorter hours. Im going to try and stick with the same company but diff department even though no idea where else I fit as I have no other experience but where I am..
    Will talk to one boss I trust and hope he can help see where I may fit in the business..
    Fingers crossed there is a place for me even if its not open yet.. something to look forward to even. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's always worth asking! You just never know where it will lead. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello All! I can't help but reply to your threads because I too am not looking forward to going back to my job! I'm currently on maternity leave and I'm due back later int he year! My boss and I don't see eye to eye because quite frankly he doesn't want to be there anymore and basically dampens any form of enthusiasm! I have a 2.5 year old boy and an 9 month old baby girl and personally I'd rather be home with my kids than go to a place that's going to make me stressed out and miserable. Anyway I recently came across a work from home opportunity that I'm trying out and loving! Its really easy to do and its fun and rewarding at the same time. I've been given full training and support and I guess we'll have to see how it goes because if it goes well I'll have great pleasure in handing in my resignation! Why don't you look at something like this too.