+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't make a lot of money from the sale and we have lived in 4 houses since the move interstate due to landlords selling etc which isn't a cheap exercise. The house we sold was originally my partners place he brought with his first wife I went on the loan to help out as we refinanced etc. For those who say owning a house isn't a right. I know that I'm not saying give me money etc. It is hard when your older and don't have the funds to save even though we try and cut back as much as we can. The First home buyer grant is a great scheme don't get me wrong it wasn't around back in the day when my hubby brought his home with a $1000 down. I'm just venting as I am tired of moving because landlords decide to sell or move back in. I know it the joys of renting but it does suck and the amount of money that we have spent on getting bonds and 4 weeks rent together we could've had our deposit.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prices in qld are over the top that's where we were living before we came back home. Paying $400 a week on a house that wasn't the best was ridiculous but that's the going rent in the suburb we lived in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just heard on the news there are plans to allow first home buyers to access their super for a deposit why can't they allow this for anyone who is buying a home obviously it has to be a home you are going to live in and it's your only home. I have a nice deposit sitting in my super account would be nice to access it and get out of the rental cycle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cakester69 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    Just heard on the news there are plans to allow first home buyers to access their super for a deposit why can't they allow this for anyone who is buying a home obviously it has to be a home you are going to live in and it's your only home. I have a nice deposit sitting in my super account would be nice to access it and get out of the rental cycle.

I was thinking the same thing. Surely there can be some agreement you access your super and then must pay back x amount each week back in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There isn't even a FHOG on Tassie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish they could put some kind of restriction on investment properties, it's investors that are driving first time buyers out of the market. We can't even get a first home grant anymore unless it's a new build!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I wish they could put some kind of restriction on investment properties, it's investors that are driving first time buyers out of the market. We can't even get a first home grant anymore unless it's a new build!
    Stop people purchasing investment properties and (a) there won't be any rental properties available for those people who are never going to be able to afford to buy (no matter how much housing prices are depressed) or who don't want to buy, and (b) super fund returns will be adversely affected (which affects us all).

The key to helping first home buyers get into the market lies in governments ensuring an adequate supply of affordable housing for sale (eg. through land releases and increasing zoning densities in existing areas), not in artificially restricting demand.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 29-07-2014 at 15:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Like it or not there are many that will always rent for whatever reason.
    Incentives need to be in place do that those who can be investment owners can provide a place for renters to live.

The new build restriction is also to assist in generating jobs. If you purchased an older place there's no guarantee you will put $$ back into the system by employing tradies. Obviously a new build requires many trades, this creating jobs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Restrict negative gearing to new builds then. Get rid of tax breaks on capital gains tax when investors sell. The idea of negative gearing producing cheap rental stock is rubbish when you look at how overpriced rent is around Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Incentives need to be in place do that those who can be investment owners can provide a place for renters to live.
    The reason demand is so high for rentals though is bc of investors LL's aren't doing a community service by offering their properties lol they are having their mortgages paid for them and in turn are forcing families out of the buyers market bc who can afford a deposit while paying astronomical rent?

It's the chicken before the egg. You are saying investors need to provide rental properties for those that need them. I say the whole reason so many rentals are needed to begin with is bc of these same investors. If many could afford to buy they would get out of the rental cycle let me tell you. But we are blocked at every pass. Any affordable properties taken from us by investors that will offer 30k more. Then make money off the same families they have blocked through over inflated rent.