Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you ladies I hope so too xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't breast feed but I use to rock my baby off to sleep every single sleep of the day and hold him until he woke again. He is almost 6 months now and self settling. Weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I fed all mine to sleep until it basically stops working. DD3 is nearly 11 months and still feeds to sleep. TBH with 3 other kids in the house it's the only time she really feeds properly. I love feeding to sleep. She'll go to sleep for DH and others without a feed so I think it's just an association she has with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read any replies but just want to add our experience. I fed on demand from birth but when I noticed that bub was getting into a habit of having lots of little snacks and not really getting a very full belly I decided I would try to space out feeds a little. BUT I knew I couldn't withhold a BF if bub was asking for it. I had found that although bub like feeding to sleep, he would fall alseep before taking a good big feed so I started giving him a feed on waking. EVERY time he woke he would get offered a feed no matter if he seemed to be asking for it or not. This feed on waking got bigger and bigger and he just gradually stopped demanding feeds at times other then when he wakes up. If he ever did demand feeds at other times (like when he's sick) I would still give them, but it's very rare. Now 9 months on it has made transition to solids really easy too because he has his meals an hour or so after waking (and bfing) so he still takes a good amount of milk and then a good amount of food.
    X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Depends on the baby. For some its a sleep aid that will see their bub wake up every hour or two in the night after the 4 month sleep regression.

For others its a great way for them,to settle and doesn't effect how many times they wake in the night.

So yes for some babies it can be a 'bad habit' - instance 1 above, but for others it can be a great way to get bub to sleep without any negative impacts on sleep - instance 2 above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed DD to sleep and it's a love hate relationship I have with it. I hate that I do it because she wakes up every 45min - 3 hours overnight but i love that it puts her straight back to sleep.
    I went to sleep school and while I found a lot of the time shush/pat would put her back to sleep, it would take up to an hour... On the other hand, whack her on the boob and she was back to sleep in 5 mins and I could crawl back in to bed to sleep.
    I keep saying one day when I'm not so tired I will try and break the habit.... Don't think that day will come anytime soon as I'm always so knackered getting up to all the night awakenings.
    I haven't had longer than 3 hours in a row sleep since she was born 8 months ago...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really echo BubblesK in most aspects. My almost 10 mth old has always been fed-to-sleep. I flipped out from between 2 months to 6 months that I was creating a bad habit, and I read a lot on the net about negative sleep associations, purchased the Rockabub app and read the full Sleep Sense program. I was determined to stop DD from feeding to sleep. I tried patting (her vs mattress), shushing, singing, rocking - all those things take ages and drive me absolutely batty. So around 6.5 mths I decided - i need to sit there and b'feed anyway, feeding to sleep works most of the time, and I get a chill out/cuddle as well. Thankfully my DD does give me some good 5 hr stretches some nights which keep me sane after a run of multiple night wakenings. Hoping it improves for us both Bubbles!
    Last edited by Piyamj; 07-07-2014 at 00:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD (10 months) feeds to sleep at night sometimes and it hasn't caused any problems. I love it :-) otherwise she generally self settles or holds my hand to sleep. She wakes once overnight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why are first and second born bubs so different? I sware you need two different manuals!
    Tell me about it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Motivated by my post here and my 'up every single sleep cycle night' last night I have started the day sleeps today boobless with shush/pat as they are easier than the night ones as I'm caffiene fueled.
    Thankfully so far she has only protested for about 5 mins and both early morning and now midday sleep she has gone down without too much fuss.
    I wish she was like some of the other bubs mentioned here that would sleep properly.
    Good luck OP with feeding to sleep I hope it works for you.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-07-2014 at 11:41.