+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    I fed DS1 to sleep til he self weaned at 17 months - no issues there.

DS2 (4 months) won't feed to sleep despite my persistence. So annoying!!
    Why are first and second born bubs so different? I sware you need two different manuals!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (07-07-2014),SpecialK  (06-07-2014),Starfish30  (06-07-2014),Sunnybambino  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fed dd to sleep for every sleep until six months when it stopped working for us. And by us, I mean me, I just couldn't handle being the only one who could put her down anymore. I read Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution for some gentle suggestions which worked well for us. I miss it now, though, and wish I hadn't taken it for granted at the time.

She started sleeping really well after that, boobing had no impact

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fed to sleep till I weaned. I've always enjoyed spending that 10-15min with my babies and toddlers before they go to sleep. Even now I sit with my 2&4yo to put them to sleep. It's my privilege and pleasure to do so. Will do it with subsequent children.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-07-2014),BettyV  (13-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-07-2014),LoveLivesHere  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 feed to sleep but wouldn't transfer, didn't matter how long I feed he would wake up as soon as he came off - mummy dummy from day1! Although we did lie down a lot (I think I would have fell down!) i wasn't able to sustain it so we started patting him to settle him to sleep. Dd settled very easily and ds2 I feed to sleep for the first 6-8 weeks (ish) and just increased the number of times he went into the cot awake. If he fussed up Id feed, but he didn't call for it often after that. Best of luck op :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine went like this:
    First born was hung up on the whole 'don't feed to sleep' thing so patted her bottom until she went to sleep. I could sit for an hour + and she had to be patted to sleep until 14 months. It was so boring.
    Second - Just decided to enjoy feeding to sleep and did so until she stopped of her own accord at 12 months. It was literally feed, put in cot asleep and walk away. Took about 20 minutes if I didn't just stay and enjoy the cuddles for longer.
    Third - Fed to sleep, and he stopped wanting to feed to sleep at 7 months and it broke my heart.

I figure if they are capable of falling to sleep in other ways...ie. in the car on a trip, or in the pram etc. then they can fall asleep without having to be fed so it wouldn't pose a big issue...however I only really assessed that situation once they were 6 months old.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I feed mr 9.5 months to sleep and have done since birth. Yes some nights are hard when all he wants his mummy but I enjoy our time cuddling together. I am going to a seminar to learn some other techniques as I am finding it difficult now I am back at work getting up countless times a night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why are first and second born bubs so different? I sware you need two different manuals!
    VP, can I just say (with much affection) this gives me such a chuckle. I read so many of your posts in days gone by saying "babies need this...", " do this and baby will do that", and I'd think to myself "just wait until you have another baby!".
    Last edited by Stretched; 06-07-2014 at 19:59.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-07-2014),Bubbles10  (06-07-2014),Full House  (06-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-07-2014),Starfish30  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    QUOTE=VicPark;7845868]Why are first and second born bubs so different? I sware you need two different manuals!
    VP, can I just say (with much affection) this gives me such a chuckle. I read so many of your posts in days gone by saying "babies need this...", " do this and baby will do that", and I'd think to myself "just wait until you have another baby!".[/QUOTE]

I don't know the background story here but I have always said it's easy to be the perfect parent with all the answers with one baby! It's probably why no. 2 is always different to no. 1, they stop the parents from being too cocky! haha

ETA - wow this post is messed up. I wanted to quote stretched.
    Last edited by Full House; 06-07-2014 at 20:01.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I feed DS2 to sleep- when he lets me! He either feeds to sleep or is put down awake after a feed. He sleeps very well- 12 hours overnight, and self settles. He's 10 months old.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I fed DS to sleep until he self-weaned at 1 year and 1 day. He was an atrocious sleeper from birth until he was about 14 months, then spontaneously started sleeping through the night, or with only one night waking (not counting teething and sickness). Those two months after he self-weaned were such a nightmare, though. I mean, I had tried so many different approaches over the year and none of them had been effective, so suddenly I had lost the one thing in my arsenal that was guaranteed to work... To answer your question a bit better than I just did, I don't think the history of feeding to sleep was what made it difficult after he self-weaned. He just hadn't learned how to sleep properly yet.

I miss feeding to sleep so much, and wish I had appreciated it better, although given I was in the midst of PND, extreme exhaustion and a marriage breakdown I try not to beat myself up over it. He won't even co-sleep anymore :-(