+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely not. As PP's have said - if I thought I needed to hire a PI to check someone out, I wouldn't continue the relationship.

I think it's more about taking things a bit slower - getting to know someone well before moving in with them, letting them be alone with your kids, having kids with them etc. I'm not naive, I know some horrible people who have led double lives....some made more of a mess because they decided to have a child together 2 months after they started dating! You do not know a person that early, and the lust hormones are still firing on all cylinders.

And "checking into someone" can sometimes be a bit like snooping their phone - you find a one sided story and then can't ask them about it, because you're in the wrong for snooping.

If I ever found out someone hired a PI to follow me, or "researched" me before they decided to date me, I'd throw them out on their ear quicker than they could say boo. I would find that akin to cheating on me. Dishonesty is not something I will tolerate. It would make me think the type of person they are is someone who will not communicate honestly with me and will turn to snooping as a first way of getting information.

Also - my past is very different to my present and my future. No, I haven't murdered anyone and I'm not a criminal - but there are things that if my now DH had found out through "snooping" instead of me telling him the story, he may not have wanted to give me a chance either.

For the people who say they would do it - how would you feel about it being done to you? (legitimate question, not having a go).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    I know a woman who is married now, but was a single mum for quite a few years to two boys. The youngest boy's father wasn't in the picture at all and hadn't been so since she was pregnant. Whenever she would partner up with a new guy, she'd happily encourage her boy call him 'daddy'. One of DH's mates was in a sexual relationship with her for a few weeks and he was called 'daddy' after about a week. I think this is wrong and so sad.
    Ohh i know someone who has done this as well ... more so when her son was a toddler. It was horrible. She was hard into the 'rave' scene and had boyfriend after boyfriend, and she had her poor little boy call them all daddy. One guy she was with who her son called daddy ended up dying of an OD. Her little boy woke her up trying to wake him up!! Not cool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I would only get someones background checked if i felt there was reason to - like if i had concerns or suspicions. But on the other hand if i had any of those feelings, i just wouldn't date them.

My gut instinct is pretty strong... it's led me well in life, so i know i can be confident to trust in that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Are there any publically available s3x offenders lists? As a mother of four children, my childrens safety is paramount I would be very interested in scouring any publically available s3x offenders lists before introducing someone to my children.
    WA is the only state in Australia that currently has a public s.ex offender register at the moment.

https://www.communityprotection.wa.gov.au/About

You can do a local search to see if there are any s.ex offenders in your area.

Also, you can put in a request to find out whether someone who is going to have unsupervised contact with your children is a reportable offender.
    Last edited by sky1; 07-07-2014 at 14:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    If I ever found out someone hired a PI to follow me, or "researched" me before they decided to date me, I'd throw them out on their ear quicker than they could say boo.
    The PI I'd have an issue with but if a guy was interested and did a bit of research first, so long as it wasn't stalker-level, I'd have no problem. Like if he googled my name, checked out pics of me on mutual friends' Facebook and quizzed any mutual friends to get a better idea of our compatibility. I don't think it's an issue of privacy, I just think we need to be smart when starting a relationship. He could potentially be saving us both a lot of time and bother if he unturns something that he has a problem with. If he's a good guy, worth my time, then he'll give me the chance to explain that picture of me, the easter bunny and 4 empty jugs of sangria. If he chooses to judge me based on a 20 year old story from a cousin's friend's sister, then he's a ******** and I wouldn't want to be with him.

All hypothetical, as I'm 100% married. But having a failed marriage previous I definitely did a lot of quizzing anyone and everyone before getting serious with DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    No I wouldn't. I don't think someone's past defines them as a person and I would rather not have other information clouding my judgement. If I felt that there was something 'off' that prompted the need for a background check, I wouldn't pursue the relationship further.
    To me someone's previous behaviour is a predictor of future behaviour unless they have made a conscious, significant and long standing change. I would want my judgement to be clouded as I would rather add to my judgement anything that could make it well rounded.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Definitely not. As PP's have said - if I thought I needed to hire a PI to check someone out, I wouldn't continue the relationship.

I think it's more about taking things a bit slower - getting to know someone well before moving in with them, letting them be alone with your kids, having kids with them etc. I'm not naive, I know some horrible people who have led double lives....some made more of a mess because they decided to have a child together 2 months after they started dating! You do not know a person that early, and the lust hormones are still firing on all cylinders.

And "checking into someone" can sometimes be a bit like snooping their phone - you find a one sided story and then can't ask them about it, because you're in the wrong for snooping.

If I ever found out someone hired a PI to follow me, or "researched" me before they decided to date me, I'd throw them out on their ear quicker than they could say boo. I would find that akin to cheating on me. Dishonesty is not something I will tolerate. It would make me think the type of person they are is someone who will not communicate honestly with me and will turn to snooping as a first way of getting information.

Also - my past is very different to my present and my future. No, I haven't murdered anyone and I'm not a criminal - but there are things that if my now DH had found out through "snooping" instead of me telling him the story, he may not have wanted to give me a chance either.

For the people who say they would do it - how would you feel about it being done to you? (legitimate question, not having a go).
    Fair comment and fair question. I guess if the person checking into my background was doing it out of love and protection of their child/ren, I couldn't argue with that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The kids dad admitted to running a check on me in the early stages of our friendship, I freaked but kinda understood.. (Until now)

But I've lived with a few people. Spent every day with them, and they still surprise me!

If I was asked id admit it, even if I wasn't asked I'd tell them, I can't lie, I can't hide things.

If they knew me they would understand why I did it, of they didn't it's their loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    The PI I'd have an issue with but if a guy was interested and did a bit of research first, so long as it wasn't stalker-level, I'd have no problem. Like if he googled my name, checked out pics of me on mutual friends' Facebook and quizzed any mutual friends to get a better idea of our compatibility. I don't think it's an issue of privacy, I just think we need to be smart when starting a relationship. He could potentially be saving us both a lot of time and bother if he unturns something that he has a problem with. If he's a good guy, worth my time, then he'll give me the chance to explain that picture of me, the easter bunny and 4 empty jugs of sangria. If he chooses to judge me based on a 20 year old story from a cousin's friend's sister, then he's a ******** and I wouldn't want to be with him.

All hypothetical, as I'm 100% married. But having a failed marriage previous I definitely did a lot of quizzing anyone and everyone before getting serious with DH.
    I wouldn't have much of a problem with the Facebook checking - I've put all that information out there for anyone to see (although, I did once go on a date with a guy that turned up reciting a while heap of stuff he'd clearly got from Facebook stalking me, talking about things I'd done and asking about people in my life by name - that was wag creepy and I ran a mile!) lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    To me someone's previous behaviour is a predictor of future behaviour
    Not always. Things I did to my ex H I can guarantee I won't do to my DH. Behavior can be circumstantial. (Obviously I'm not talking something like pedophilia it anything, that definitely predicts future behaviour)

But it can be. Which is why I'd have grave concerns about the future behaviour of someone who secretly ran background checks on me.. If I found that out I'd never trust them again.