+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cake making question!

Hi
    I'm wanting to make a 2 layer birthday cake for DDs first birthday. I've never made a tiered cake before and also don't have much experience with fondant.. Few questions:

- what sort of cake works best when tiered? (And is also easy for a beginner to make!)
    - can I just buy and colour premade fondant?
    - do I need to put anything on the cake to get the fondant to stick?
    - how far in advance can I make the cake and how should I be storing it to keep it fresh for her birthday?

Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

TIA x

Edit: meant layered!
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 06-07-2014 at 12:46.

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Following too.

Starting to get ideas for ds' 1st birthday cake too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm no expert but I have recently made a 2 teird cake covered in fondant. You can use any type of butter/vanilla cake or mud cake. Packet cakes are fine.

You need to cover the cake in either buttercream icing or jam before adding the fondant. Try to get this as even as possible so that when you lay the fondant on it looks nice and smooth. Mine have been a bit lumpy in the past..

You will need to use dowells to support the bottom layer of the cake - you can buy them at cake stores or get a wooden dowell from hardware store and cut to size. Then a cardboard base the same size as the top layer to support it.

You can buy pre-coloured fondant at some supermarkets and also cake stores. Or buy white and dye it the colour you want. This is harder because you need to use gel colouring and kneed it in. The fondant can become sticky. For a first time I would recommend buying it in the colour you want. I found spraying the counter with spray oil worked best when rolling it out. I used a coconut oil spray and sprayed the rolling pin and my hands as well.

You can make the cake a couple of days prior and cover it with fondant and it will keep fresh in a cool, dark place in a box.

Any fondant decorations can be make days/weeks ahead and stored in a dry place.

There are heaps of tips and tutorials on google and you tube. Good luck and have fun with it - In my case they don't look perfect but I get satisfaction out of doing it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make cakes all the time and recommend you use a heavy cake ie mud for the bottom tier. Ganache is also good to ice with, just make sure the cream boils a bit before you add the choc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Hi
    I'm wanting to make a 2 tier birthday cake for DDs first birthday. I've never made a tiered cake before and also don't have much experience with fondant.. Few questions:

- what sort of cake works best when tiered? (And is also easy for a beginner to make!)
    - can I just buy and colour premade fondant?
    - do I need to put anything on the cake to get the fondant to stick?
    - how far in advance can I make the cake and how should I be storing it to keep it fresh for her birthday?

Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

TIA x
    This is just my experience - there may be other people who are experts. There are probably a few cakes that would work okay. I've always done choc mud as that is what the kids request. You need something that is going to rise evenly (flat).
    I cheat and buy the fondant from the cake shop and then buy their colourings to colour the icing. I prefer the pastes to do this over the gels. I would suggest you wear gloves. I tend to use a twist and stretch motion - not sure what is recommended though to get the colour through. It's a good workout for the wrists. I don't have specialty mats but just use my mega chopping board with baking paper on top of it and then another layer on top of the icing when rolling out with the pin to stop it from sticking. If too sticky a little bit of cornflour can be used but not too much or it will dry it out.

I tend to use a hard chocolate ganache - (ie. block of good eating or cooking choc like old gold or plaistowe and about 30g butter) to "ice" the cake before the fondant goes on and it also helps to act like a levelling tool if the cake needs to be levelled out any. This icing sets hard. I've also been recommended by the cake store that I could use butter cream icing underneath the fondant but I wouldn't use a soft/slippery icing in between the layers of the cake if it is tiered as it is likely to slip and ruin all your work!

If you make a normal type of cake in advance you would have to freeze it to keep it fresh. For a Saturday party I would cook the cake Thursday night ganache it either that night or the next morning and then put the fondant on on Friday. If you have any decorative bits you want to put on the cake to be made out of the fondant that will need to be hard or aren't going to be eaten they can be made a little more in advance and stored in a sealed container in the dark. Make sure you wrap any loose icing in glad wrap so that it is not exposed to air - this includes icing that you have opened to work with but aren't working with that lot all at once.

Edit: Just realised you said tiered and not layered - not sure why I pictured layered! When I made a tiered cake I had to get cake board and supports for in between. I only put the top layer on as a test and then took it off until the party as it was easier to transport...and less chance of something going wrong!
    Last edited by Little Ted; 06-07-2014 at 12:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I make marshmallow fondant, I find it tastes better and easier to work with. If colouring your own fondant use gel colours so they dont change the consistency of the fondant.

I agree with Rose&Aurelia, I would use a heavy cake for the base like a mudcake etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SIL just made a 2 tier planes cake for her sons birthday. Marshmallow fondant is the best. Just melt the marshmallows in the microwave and add icing sugar and food colouring. You will need to work it well until all the stickiness is gone.

Also make sure you put a layer of cardboard or something supportive in between layers otherwise it will collapse. Good luck. They are super fun.

Sorry about the blurry photo, but you get the idea.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1404617163.565314.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have so many cool ideas that I feel ashamed My birthday cake is usually made with store bought cake layers, whipped cream, bananas and strawberries. I just put a layer on a dish, smear the cream all over it, put some bananas and strawberries, some more cream, and the next layer. On the top there's more cream and some more fruits. I also sometimes write stuff on it, but not always.