+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default D and C after missed miscarriage, intense labour pains.

Hi ladies, so I had a D and C on Friday after discovering I had a missed miscarriage...I was meant to be 11 weeks and my baby only measured 8 weeks and the only symptom I had was severe cramping which is why I presented myself to ED initially. The doctors suggested D and C as I had already gone 3 weeks after miscarriage without passing any blood. I chose to proceed with the D and C as from what I had gathered, it was less painful and I preferred not to have to wait for it to pass naturally.
    When I was admitted I was cramping only a little until they gave me the medication to dilate my cervix. I was in agony once it started to kick in and I just wanted to be put under so it would be over, I had not experienced the feeling of my cervix or uterus or whatever it was contracting before and I have a low pain tolerance so I was not a happy camper. I awoke from surgery sore but pumped full of medication so i was able to get myself home (by got myself home I mean my partner took me) and I just rested.
    The next 24 hours I was fine, sore but fine and I thought hey, I can do this easy peasy. I was having a lot of trouble passing urine as soon as I got home and I have to go in on an angle but I understand this is common. As is the fact that I haven't been able to do number 2's at all.
    I haven't bled since I left the hospital but I've been constantly checking to keep an eye on it. So at around 4pm yesterday I began having what I understand to be a contraction and if was overcome with this tremendous pain. 12 hours it lasted, I was so uncomfortable and had to continuously change positions, the pain was definitely labour pain and not period type pain which I was told to expect. It was scary as I wasn't expecting it. I don't know how to time contractions or anything but I could feel something contracting every 5-10 minutes. I'm used to having severe period cramps but this was just a whole other level. My partner insisted on taking me to hospital but I couldn't think of anywhere I wanted to be less when I felt so uncomfortable already. I was constantly rolling around, pacing, applying heat packs and no position felt good for more than 2 minutes.
    So eventually after 12 hours of constant breathing and trying to get comfortable the pain began to subside and I took an endone before nodding off. I'm awake now and still not bleeding and I only have mild - moderate pain in my abdomen at present which I'm hoping doesn't progress like last night.
    Had anyone else experienced this level of pain and for this long?
    Should I call the obgyn and let them know what's happening or is this just normal?
    I apologise if I sound like a crazy person, I can assure you I'm not exaggerating my symptoms, I'm confused as people I've spoken to hadn't mentioned pain to that extent. My understanding was that it should be much like period pain. At this point I would much prefer the period pain!
    Last edited by MamaEve; 06-07-2014 at 10:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Sorry for your loss, please call your OB thats not normal from my experience... they may have misssed some 'products of conception' which could go on to cause infection. Some cramping is normal and lightly bleeding for up to 3 weeks, but not excruciating pain.
    Em x

Sent from my GT-P5110

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (06-07-2014),MamaEve  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sorry for your loss your story is similar to my mmc last year. I had no physical symptoms of losing the pregnancy and found out at 11 wks my baby had passed some weeks earlier, being the size of a 7 wk fetus. I opted for the d and c because I needed closure.
    I find it weird you have had no bleeding at all? Obviously the dr would have known this prior to your discharge though.
    I was told to expect some bleeding and every story I've read ladies have some bleeding after d and c.
    I totally understand not wanting to go back to hospital but I really think you need to be checked.
    A lady I know had adhesions with her d and c and her period didn't return and she had lots of pain. Turned out blood was leaking into her abdomen by the time she got to hospital and she needed more surgery.
    Please contact your dr or the er. It doesn't sound normal to me from what I experienced and all of the things I read after my d and c to gauge what was usual.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't bleed at all after my first D&C OP but I also didn't have any pain you described. Please talk to the ob or go to ED to be sure. I agree with a PP in that there may be 'missed product' however the absence of blood makes it confusing. Hugs to you xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've spoken to a doctor at the hospital just now who told me to come in straight away. I would prefer to stay at home in my own bed but in the back of my mind there is a worry as to what is going on down there. I've been struggling to find similar cases to what I'm experiencing on forums etc. so maybe it's just my low pain threshold getting the better of me. Oh well, I will insist upon them doing all appropriate tests and hopefully I'll be staying at home tonight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaEve For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope there is no drama for you @MamaEve. It's hard enough going through this without worrying about your health. Take care xo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Good luck, let us know how you get on xx

Sent from my GT-P5110