+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whenever I feel like I'm failing dd or stress about her fussiness I read the food chapter from "robin barker's the mighty toddler" book. I find it very reassuring in that dd's behaviour surrounding food is normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    This thread is great.i found the other thread quite upsetting and made me feel like a complete failure. My 17 month dd (9kg) doesn't have any sensory issues so I don't have that to excuse her terrible eating. I was exactly the same though- mum thinks it's great that she's getting some revenge.
    I am determined not to turn food into a battle ground. If she doesn't want it, fine. I fought with my mum over dinner for years until I was old enough to cook for myself. I starved myself every night and I was so hungry. I will not go through that with dd.

It changes (and is getting less and less) what she will eat. This is her current menu. Judge away ladies.

No judgement here, I have so been where you are. The good thing is she is eating something!! My DS was so frustrating as well and I used to get so annoyed at preparing homemade meals for him to have it all rejected until like you I decided that it just was not worth the battle. Although DS still doesn't have a huge variety he does eat more now but it didn't happen quickly. The things that helped are
    -breakfast has always been a battle, he will never sit and eat so he has it wandering, I make some toast and put it on a table and he comes and gets some when he wants it, then he might have some cheese or yogurt
    - for lunch I started giving him a selection plate with about 5 different things 3 that he likes and 2 that are new or something I'm repeatedly putting on there in hopes that one day he'll try it. I tried to find things that where similar in texture to other things he would eat. He likes crunchy things so I tried to give more of those.
    -Dinner was a nightmare. I gave up making something special and started giving toddler versions of what our meal was. Also only give about half the amount you think they should have. Toddlers stomachs are only the size of their fist and that is pretty small. We tend to think they need more than they do. This took a long while to work but I stuck with it and now he has at least some. If he won't try something I try and get him to at least touch it, then smell it, then kiss it. I also found his currency which is chocolate, cake or ice cream. If he eats enough he can have one of these things. I have a stash of those furry friends chocolates, some mini rollette cakes and ice cream. Now that he is older I can say if you have 2 more spoonfuls or eat some carrots etc you can have ..... . This has really worked for me but only since he seemed to understand the reasoning which was around 2.5yrs. Also if I separate some on the plate from the rest and say "just eat this much" he usually will. I think it is less daunting then the whole plate, even though I never put much on the plate to start with. If all this fails and he won't eat anything then I offer a vegemite sandwich or a yogurt. If he doesn't want that then it's nothing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread is great.i found the other thread quite upsetting and made me feel like a complete failure. My 17 month dd (9kg) doesn't have any sensory issues so I don't have that to excuse her terrible eating. I was exactly the same though- mum thinks it's great that she's getting some revenge.
    I am determined not to turn food into a battle ground. If she doesn't want it, fine. I fought with my mum over dinner for years until I was old enough to cook for myself. I starved myself every night and I was so hungry. I will not go through that with dd.

It changes (and is getting less and less) what she will eat. This is her current menu. Judge away ladies.

Brekkie- coco pops. Yep every day. Tbh it has vitamins and minerals added so I'm pleased she eats something for breakfast now.

Snacks- sultanas, fruit bars or cheese sticks
    No real fruit, muffins etc

Lunch- toast or cheese spread on cruskits.

Dinner -hot chips, corn or mac and cheese or toast. Sometimes a bite or two of a nugget or fish finger. It is rare for her to eat much at dinner.

Dessert- custard or yogurt (she always had this but now more often than not she refuses)

She likes Maccas chicken mcbites lol. I give her this once a week.

So basically no meat veg and any fruit. I try to sneak in a multivitamin liquid or tablet but no success. I use wonder white bread for the added vitamins and minerals.

She won't drink anything but water.

Loves my boobs.

Eta: I try to offer new things and fruit like bananas she used to eat and veg and meat but I get frustrated at the wastage.
    No judgements here at all.
    But I would suggest just putting steamed veg or a piece of fruit in front of her once a day.
    I do this consistently with my dd... It took six months of doing it with a strawberry and now she will eat one. Only one but it's a win. I do this with steamed carrots. She has yet to even touch it.
    My dd likes macaroni cheese too. I'm planning on maKing some today with with cauliflower hidden in it.
    Hope you don't mind me suggesting ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    No judgements here at all.
    But I would suggest just putting steamed veg or a piece of fruit in front of her once a day.
    I do this consistently with my dd... It took six months of doing it with a strawberry and now she will eat one. Only one but it's a win. I do this with steamed carrots. She has yet to even touch it.
    My dd likes macaroni cheese too. I'm planning on maKing some today with with cauliflower hidden in it.
    Hope you don't mind me suggesting ideas.

Not at all
    I've tried the hidden cauliflower in the mac and cheese a few times but she just knows lol.
    I try to give her either cucumber or carrot or capsicum daily with her dinner on the side. At one stage she tried the cucumber and I was so excited where it went promptly on the floor and she hasn't touch it since.

Ive read give peas a chance and trying all the tricks but it's very slow going and going backwards it feels like.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 07-07-2014 at 11:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hear you. One day they try something. This next disaster.
    I haven't given DD cauliflower hidden in Mac n cheese yet. Tonight will tell!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Ive read give peas a chance and trying all the tricks but it's very slow going and going backwards it feels like.

Give peas a chance is a great book. It's what got me through the really tough times. But it doesn't happen overnight as anyone with a truly fussy eater will attest to. Hang in there, I thought there was no light at the end of the tunnel but it turns out it's just a very long long tunnel and I'm just starting to see a tiny bit of a glow, you will too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has been good to read and can relate to these posts. My little boy is 15 months and was a really good eater before teething and weaning himself from breastfeeding... he also goes through phases with foods.
    His current favourites are homemade sausage rolls... with beef mince, grated zucchini, carrot, mashed potato and baby spinach. So I know he at least get veggies and meat when eating them, also carrot and zucchini muffins and hummus and crackers..

Otherwise breakfast is always consistant (Wholemeal toast with cream cheese & vegemite or raisin toast and yoghurt) and anything happens after that..

He will not touch pasta, rice, sauces etc only food on a spoon is yoghurt, custard, fruit puree and porridge. . Which is probably my biggest frustation because it limits alot of things he will eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanting2b View Post
    This has been good to read and can relate to these posts. My little boy is 15 months and was a really good eater before teething and weaning himself from breastfeeding... he also goes through phases with foods.
    His current favourites are homemade sausage rolls... with beef mince, grated zucchini, carrot, mashed potato and baby spinach. So I know he at least get veggies and meat when eating them, also carrot and zucchini muffins and hummus and crackers..

Otherwise breakfast is always consistant (Wholemeal toast with cream cheese & vegemite or raisin toast and yoghurt) and anything happens after that..

He will not touch pasta, rice, sauces etc only food on a spoon is yoghurt, custard, fruit puree and porridge. . Which is probably my biggest frustation because it limits alot of things he will eat.
    I understand the frustration with the spoon. Dd only started using a spoon 2 weeks ago. ( hence the coco pops before hat it was toast) Until then we had mainly finger foods or used pouches for custard and yogurt. She stopped letting me feed her at 9 months. I always gave her a spoon and fork with meals and she slowly started putting the spoon in but using her hands to take it off the spoon. Then the other day she brought the spoon to her mouth.
    She got frustrated with rice as she was always dropping it.
    She still makes an absolute mess and doesn't get much in but I'm excited for the spoon.
    So it'll happen eventually for you too

I'm excited to try soup and jelly now
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 07-07-2014 at 14:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He uses the spoon himself for his yoghurt in the morning and does a pretty good job... his just not interested in other sloppy textured foods at all and if I try he shuts his mouth and be tricked... he has gone off zucchini slice which he used to love.. now he squishes his finger in it when given to him... they are learning so much all the time.. its just hard (like others have said) to see other kids eating so well... although every child is different.. and while mime may not eat like my friends he sleeps where theirs dont..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

Please tell me there's people on BH who now have older kids who now eat well but didn't as toddlers or young children......pleeeeeease give us some hope or at least reassure us our little 'uns aren't destined for a life unhealthy!
    Me. I have 2 of the fussiest monsters I know. Hayden my eldest has been the worst of the 3. He's now 4.5 and improved so so much. He's really getting great at trying new things. He's still painful in comparison to a lot of other children who eat whatever's in front of them, but compared to how he was, he's amazing. So I'm very very happy.

My middle girl has always been a lot better than him, but still fussy. A lot of the typical things kids eat she won't eat, anything like porridge, wheet bix... anything with a slightly mushy texture, and if she doesn't like the look of it she won't try it, and if you try to make her she will gag until she spews! So yeah. No point trying to make her try something she doesn't like the look of.

My littlest is a great little eater in comparison to my older two, and they were so bad that he's a dream in comparison, but still comparing him to other kids his age, he can be a little fussy. He doesn't like things like things like toast and honey, really basic stuff that all kids eat... and he doesn't like to take bites out of things, he likes me to break bite size bits off for him so he can just shove it in his mouth, chew and swallow. Haha. Oh well.

Hayden is definitely improving a LOT so hoping my other 2 will as well, but he was the worst of the 3 anyway, so life is a bit easier now he's improved