+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I worry about his health. He had a very rocky start and he has an absolutely shocking immune system. He gets absolutely every sickness going around. I also worru because a lot of the foods he will eat are not terribly healthy (think nutella sandwiches, jatz biscuits, cereal fruit bars) and I am constantly worried I am doing everything wrong when it comes to him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Don't.
    Offer healthy foods daily, but don't blame yourself and don't stress out about it (easier said than done, I know). Give him a multivitamin like Pentavite and remember, you can only do your best.
    I say this because my DS is 14 and was and still is a very fussy eater. I spent years worrying and judging myself about his eating habits; I tried it all, every trick in the book, but I believe some people are just born fussy. It could even be genetic, his dad is extremely fussy.
    Anyway, my boy is a picture of health, despite his terrible eating. He's above average academically, excels at sport and hasn't ever had more than a common cold all his life (touch wood).
    I always made sure he ate weetbix every morning during childhood and he's an OK meat eater, but will never eat stuff like salad, most vegies and tuna. But he eats plain white fish, carrots and all dairy. He's a very plain eater, loves junk food, too (as most teens do, lol) but I just keep making a home cooked meal every night and adjust his serve to his liking.. I have given up trying to force him to eat his vegies a couple of years ago. He now takes a teenage Men's multi.
    There's only so much you can do x

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Don't.
    Offer healthy foods daily, but don't blame yourself and don't stress out about it (easier said than done, I know). Give him a multivitamin like Pentavite and remember, you can only do your best.
    I say this because my DS is 14 and was and still is a very fussy eater. I spent years worrying and judging myself about his eating habits; I tried it all, every trick in the book, but I believe some people are just born fussy. It could even be genetic, his dad is extremely fussy.
    Anyway, my boy is a picture of health, despite his terrible eating. He's above average academically, excels at sport and hasn't ever had more than a common cold all his life (touch wood).
    I always made sure he ate weetbix every morning during childhood and he's an OK meat eater, but will never eat stuff like salad, most vegies and tuna. But he eats plain white fish, carrots and all dairy. He's a very plain eater, loves junk food, too (as most teens do, lol) but I just keep making a home cooked meal every night and adjust his serve to his liking.. I have given up trying to force him to eat his vegies a couple of years ago. He now takes a teenage Men's multi.
    There's only so much you can do x

Thanks xox

My son has SPD, I cannot get him to eat any cereal because he cant handle the textures. He is pretty good with fruit and he'll eat carrots and corn and pumpkin. But meat is sausages, chicken nuggets or corned beef. Wont eat pasta, rice or potato, no egg, etc so he never stays full because I cannot get protien into him. I just feel like a failure a lot with him even though its irrational.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Thanks xox

My son has SPD, I cannot get him to eat any cereal because he cant handle the textures. He is pretty good with fruit and he'll eat carrots and corn and pumpkin. But meat is sausages, chicken nuggets or corned beef. Wont eat pasta, rice or potato, no egg, etc so he never stays full because I cannot get protien into him. I just feel like a failure a lot with him even though its irrational.

Hugs. It's so hard. Its stressful.
    Can you give something like Sustagen (sp?) to help keep him full?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @peanutmonkey it's NOT your fault. You are a brilliant, loving and amazing mum who loves her boys to death, that is so obviously clear. You are not failing him. Mummy guilt is awful x

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (13-07-2014),peanutmonkey  (13-07-2014),Purple Lily  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @peanutmonkey you must remember that you are dealing with a medical condition. Your gorgeous boy eats that way because of it. Its nothing you did...have done... didnt do.... and if any nurse makes youfeel rotten you leave! You are a great mummy.... and your boy is thriving.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-07-2014),peanutmonkey  (13-07-2014),~Marigold~  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Massive hugs to the mummies going through an extra hard time of it, it really is so hard and draining and the "mummy-guilts" are constantly hanging over your head like a black cloud I have never received any harsh comments from healthcare professionals but boy I'm constantly being judged by family which really gets me down sometimes....they just have no idea

My hidden-veg-turkey-spaghetti tonight got a couple of mouthfuls before she started throwing it on the floor saying "yucky".....sigh.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1405249247.272085.jpg

I do have a big big positive though....while I was still cooking dinner, my dd kept asking for carrot?! She's never asked for carrot before so I was pretty surprised so I peeled half the end of a whole carrot and just gave it to her like a banana.....and she ran off happily to start eating it! Who is this child and what has she done with my vegetable-hating-fussy-eater??!!! I still can't believe it but, I sure hope it lasts!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1405249502.871121.jpg
    Last edited by Ladydee; 13-07-2014 at 22:44.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ladydee For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (13-07-2014),~Marigold~  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just read a few posts in this thread. I have nothing to add or share, except to say that I think you deserve some sort of medal for dealing with your tricky eaters. I felt frustrated for you just reading the posts, so I can only imagine how hard it is to live it, day in day out. It makes me feel sad to think that you feel people judge you for your little ones' eating habits Anyone that does judge you should walk a mile in your shoes, or rather serve up a dozen meals to a truly difficult eater before judging. I'm sure it doesn't make it any less hurtful, but opinions of people who don't understand simply aren't worth your energy.

All the best, and may tomorrow bring you some small (and even big) wins at mealtime.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-07-2014),Tamtam  (14-07-2014),~Marigold~  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Unfortunately so many of the nurses who do these checks can be harsh as they're all reading from the same hymn sheet, however, just remember you have 3 kids and they all eat differently, so do all of our kids, so they're eating is the way it is for many many reasons, and by no means your fault!

By all means if they offer some helpful suggestions, take them on board, but please don't feel bad.

Let us know how you go!
    Hugs. It's so hard. Its stressful.
    Can you give something like Sustagen (sp?) to help keep him full?

@peanutmonkey it's NOT your fault. You are a brilliant, loving and amazing mum who loves her boys to death, that is so obviously clear. You are not failing him. Mummy guilt is awful x

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    @peanutmonkey you must remember that you are dealing with a medical condition. Your gorgeous boy eats that way because of it. Its nothing you did...have done... didnt do.... and if any nurse makes youfeel rotten you leave! You are a great mummy.... and your boy is thriving.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thank you all. You dont know how much I needed to hear this tonight!

Marigold if I give him anything like that its a slipery slope, and he starts refusing food more and more until he basically has a liquid diet. Before we got him diagnosed when he was 2 he refused most foods and would only drink milk. he would easily drink almost 2L in 24 hours, he was having around 5 bottles a night (I kid you not, getting rid of his night feeds and bottles was one of the hardest things ive ever had to do as a parent!) You know that saying "they wont starve themselves" ? Well that doesnt work with my DS2. He will literally stop eating altogether. So he is allowed a cup of milk before bed and a small one in the mornings.

Im lucky he will eat a certain brand of squeezie yoghurt and likes those foul craft cheese sticks so he gets a decent amount of calcium.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (14-07-2014),~Marigold~  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Appt done. His Dr is amazing, first time we've been to her for DS2 but go there all the time for DS3 so she knows us.

But cue the tears when the "does he eat 1 piece of fruit and 1 whole cup of vegetables each day?" Question came up. We'd already discussed some extra appointments DS2 needs before this point like more frequent OT and speech appointments, a hearing test, eye test and also a full blood work up - I was already so worked up that by the time we got to the food I just bawled. She is going to refer us to a feeding clinic again but we've been so many times, and he still doesnt eat most things. We also have to see an ENT about his tongue, he was born with Macroglossia (tongue too big for his mouth) and we've always had issues because of it and most drs have never seen issues like his (he holds his tongue to the roof of his mouth at all times and gets very sore if he tries to hold it down like people normally do)

It all feels a bit too much.

Last edited by peanutmonkey; 14-07-2014 at 12:41.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs @peanutmonkey with everything on your plate at the moment I'm super impressed with how amazing, patient and strong you are xxxx