+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a massive safety hazard, so no locked doors around here at night.

I do understand your concerns - I don't trust my toddler to be out of sight for very long either!

We do have a child safety gate on DS's room. He's still in a cot at the moment but he'll be in a big boy bed soon so we're prepared. His bedroom is perfectly safe for him to play in unsupervised (at least until he wakes us up). I'd rather contain him in there than lock the doors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is almost 3 and has a baby gate on her door. Honestly, if she was a roamer I would think the risk of her falling down the stairs in the dark or pulling something heavy/dangerous down on herself somewhere in the house would be greater than any risk of her being trapped in her room with the house burning down in the middle of the night. It's about weighing up the real risks versus perceived risks which includes understanding what you child is capable/likely to do.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

EvilWombatQueen  (05-07-2014),Purple Lily  (04-07-2014),Que Sera  (04-07-2014),Stretched  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    No locks on bedroom doors. We have a pantry alarm (DS1 sneaks junk food in the morning cos he's up before the sun) they sleep with their doors closed but never locked.

My DS1 sleep walks though so our front and back doors are dead bolted. Not always safe if there is a fire etc but its safer to keep him contained because before we started doing that we caught him in the backyard more than once.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know of some special needs families who turn the bedroom doors into those dutch doors.. where you have it open at the top but locked at the bottom.
    Or baby gate?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby gates is my plan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD went into a big bed the house we were in had high door handles. She had always slept with the door closed so she couldn't get out but wasn't 'locked' in. Her room was next to ours and with our door open you could hear if she so much as rolled over in bed. I liked knowing that she couldn't wander the house as she liked to climb onto the dining table and we had concrete floors.

My mum's house has 4 bedrooms and when she bought it one bedroom has the handle up high where every other handle in the house is low. I'd assume to keep kids in or out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've had one roamer and one sleep walker. And two dogs. Their rooms are always left wide open at night so they can find us if need be.

I still remember waking up one night when I was about 4 or 5 and we were staying at friends and the room I was in had been locked. I went berserk as I couldn't open the door and no one could hear me. They were worried we'd get lost in a strange house so it was well intentioned.

So no, no locks here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    DD is almost 3 and has a baby gate on her door. Honestly, if she was a roamer I would think the risk of her falling down the stairs in the dark or pulling something heavy/dangerous down on herself somewhere in the house would be greater than any risk of her being trapped in her room with the house burning down in the middle of the night. It's about weighing up the real risks versus perceived risks which includes understanding what you child is capable/likely to do.
    That's very true and I agree about weighing up the risks. By the sounds of it though the OP's son is just raiding the pantry/fridge, not doing anything particularly dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think the reason it's a safety hazard is that in the event of a fire smoke inhalation can render people unconscious hence there would be no knocking to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never locked the kids door, although we have an incredibly destructive roamer. If there is something to break or something to get into or drawing to be done on the furniture, my DS4 will do it. I wish I could lock him him to be honest, but it is a fire hazard, so I am too scared.