+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! Just wanted to add I have shared my home with others. I interviewed a few single mums and after working through different parenting styles I found one who was similar to me. She had one daughter and they stayed for 12 months (though in the end I had to ask her to leave as she left most of the parenting to me and wouldn't get out of bed to her own child). Anyway, I now have an awesome single dad who came with a WWC check and a Police Check plus good references. His daughter visits during the day only, and my children and I are not usually around which means my children do not feel their home has been taken over by other children. My flatmate also does afternoon shifts so is not home till midnight and is not usually up when my kids get ready for school and daycare. Win win.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Thanks for sharing your successful roomie story! I am a little worried how that would affect my kids (having someone new in the house) I would be hoping to get someone I already know well but the problem is its not always easy to find!

Im feeling a little overwhelmed/underwhelmed/lost with everything lately - Hoping finding work will help to balance things out as I will have a further sense of purpose than just mother desperately trying to control/raise three children (and not doing a very good job at cleaning/bedtime routines). Plus it will get us all out of the house more and less cabin fever/sick of each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a note, as you are eligible for PPS for some years yet, you will probably find you are as well off working part-time as full-time, if not better off. I used to work 5-6 days a week, sat down and did the calculations one day to find I'd be no worse off working 3 days, after I factored in lost PPS due to earnings, childcare cost and lost concessions. Maybe that was your intention anyway but I wouldn't be looking at FT yet. Make the most of available financial support while your kids are little, that's what it's there for.

It's only PPS that's affected by earnings, and you can earn a reasonable amount and maintain the concession card before it cuts off altogether. The calculators will give you an accurate idea of the amounts. FTB is reduced by child support received.

As to living with someone, I did this briefly but it didn't work out for us. I'd rather pay more rent and have our own space, but that's personal preference. I have sacrificed a decent sized house for a small apartment, however, but I guess it just comes down to what is more important to you and your family.

I agree massively with the 'sense of purpose' idea. Being a single parent can be particularly isolating, and I'd go a lot of days without adult conversation if I was home full time! And just nuts in general...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would post an update

I've started applying for jobs with a three day availability. Because I've only done my cert III with no actual work experience yet in admin, it's difficult to find anyone who wants me- even more so that wants me only mon-wed.

But it's my only option right now while one of my kids is on a waiting list for Thursday and Friday in his daycare. To add to this I have to organise ECDP and SPeech Therapt for him and OT for him and his brother- so I will likely need at least one week day free for the foreseeable future.

But I'm out there trying with my carefully made resume and cover letters in my hot little hands - wish me luck!