+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single Mum of Three Returning to work - Help! Advice!?

For the single mums out there that have done this/are doing this, I would like to know what I'm in for by taking the leap back to work, looking for advice and info any of which could be helpful to me If you have been in a situation like my own and found success please comment on how you did it!

I became a single mother again in March this year and have been on SPP at home with my kids full time - I have three kids, aged Seven, Four and Two. (Mr Seven is in school, Mr four will be starting prep in Jan and Mr two will need to be in daycare)

In 2012 I did a cert three in Business Admin and have just last week had a chat with a place called "Max Employment" Im sure a lot of you have heard of them? They are connected through centrelink and help people like myself find work. Im getting referred through to them on Monday by Centrelink and will be getting assistance in everything I need to (hopefully) find my first full time job.

Now, as most single mums know, (and many couples Im sure) finances are tight! Im wondering if and when I find full time work, being that I will need all three of my kids in daycare and before and after school care, how much is that going to cost me out of pocket?

What does centrelink generally cover for single mothers who work? I can imagine it is going to be tough - with three to pay for. Can anyone tell me what a similar situation costs them and how they handle it?

I live in a large house (which was more reasonable before my husband left) and am pondering also finding a room mate once I am working to help with rent costs. There is a massive double bedroom with an ensuite that is on the other end of the house to the main areas and kids rooms that Im thinking could work for an extra person and help lower cost of living. Has anyone else ever done this with kids - perhaps with a friend they could trust etc? Might be a bit hard but trying to think of the options, this one will be easier once I am getting an income from work and the extra tenant wont be affecting my payments.

This is probably a little sloppily written, Im quite overwhelmed by my own questions and thoughts.

Any advice at all would help a lot! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    also would i be fully cut of FTB by working full time? Or is it only parenting payment that gets affected?

Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think your best bet is to have a play around with the calculators/estimators on the centrelink site.
    What you lose in benefits is really dependent on what you earn. If you are under the threshold, you will still get some PPS each fn and full ftb. If you earn too much to qualify for PPS you will still get almost full FTB/CCB.

If you are returning to work after not working for a long period of time, you will have working credits meaning that the first $1000 you earn won't affect your PPS.
    Also look into JET to reduce your childcare fees for the first 6 months that you return to work. After that you will you will still be entitled to the 50% ccr which will help with fees.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great reply, thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, at least I would still get a few years in before my youngest turned six to "level up" my income with some experience and training I guess? The not getting cut off FTB would help a lot! I was wondering if Id be cut of everything. Hopefully I can make ends meet and end up at least breaking even after paying childcare to what I get now on SPP.

Its not that I want to earn more right now as much as it is me wanting to start on a career to secure earnings for the future when my kids are all turned 8.

I feel like a sitting duck with no experience and three kids getting older, if that makes sense? Thanks for your replies, it really helps xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Use the calculator and remember when doing the income estimate part for family tax include your spp as it's taxable . I am a single mum of 1 . I earn from work about $1299 before tax from job get about 200 spp and 400 family tax( inc rent assistance ) child care is 100%. After I get my ccb and ccr paid to centre I pay $16 a day . $35 if I work a 5th day as they only pay for 50 hours . If you need more then you have to apply .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1404464220.535955.jpg click to inc centrelink rates too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the example happygirl1982

It certainly looks like it would be do-able. This gives me a fairly decent ballpark idea of what Im getting myself into and I'm glad to see that it doesn't look as scary as I first thought. I appreciate all of this advice and info -

Might just go ahead and start looking for work through this employment place and see where it all lands me And yes Ill remember to include any Parenting Payment I get into the calculating - I remembered it was taxable because when doing an estimate for child support I had to round it up - which was easy because its almost exactly half of the SPP in my case lol
    Last edited by Kiplusthree; 04-07-2014 at 19:12. Reason: wrote the wrong thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can imagine it would be tough once they turn 8 if you arent in a fairly well payed job or with a partner/someone who can help with expenses.. Suddenly losing all your benefits would be a bit of a kick in the teeth. Im sort of looking ahead to that scenario and thinking I really need to develop a decent career in the time I have left with govt support so I can pay for these three crazy kids once they turn into three crazy pre teens and beyond

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's only ftb part b that gets cut off at 6 years of age for the youngest for PPP and at 8 for PPS. You should get full ftb part b as there is no second income earner.