Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Costco? Tell me all about it!

Do you shop there? Why/why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started shopping there. I don't do all my shopping there. I am slowly figuring out which products are good. I try pretty hard to only buy products I need, regularly buy and will use. For us we will get our membership fees back in petrol and pet food, everything else is a bonus. At the moment I love their frozen rotis. I bought a 30 pack on special for $7 and individually wrapped. Also love their bulk packs of chicken, not any cheaper then a normal special but they split them I to 3 and you just tear off a pack when you need it and they don't leak in the fridge. Costco is not for everyone, they do sell in bulk so you need to have the space and discipline to shop there but I have been buying specials in bulk for ages so it works for us.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdk For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply Mdk.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I go maybe 4 times a year - October is great if you are after Halloween stuff and Xmas is really good as they sell a lot of decorations and Disney toys from the USA that I haven't seen here

Also they have cheap bulk lollies ( Cadbury, Nestlé , Allen's etc ) which is good for parties/ Xmas and I buy mineral water ( Santa Vittoria for .99 cents a bottle) toilet paper, washing liquid, paper towels, toothpaste, deodorant and they have grain free organic dog biscuits which is 50% cheaper than the pet food shops

Plus I always find random things there like once I bought a kitchenaid food processor that was $200 cheaper than Myer and a Kate Spade handbag that was $300 cheaper than David Jones, outdoor dining stuff and heaps of cool kitchen stuff if never seen before

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elijahs Mum.

Does anyone know if they do much gluten free stuff? Or things such as organic sultanas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I remember seeing gluten free organic pasta and there is a heap of dried fruit but I didn't really have a good look at it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the place, go early in the day as costco gets really busy, dh pushes the children in one trolley and I have one for me. Great for calvin klein male boxer shorts and socks, I find things like large yoghurt pots much cheaper, lollies are good if you can restrict yourself, my wonderful buy is the double pack of palmers cocoa butter and the little concentrated pack all for $10, we love the bread, and big lettuce packs, fab grapes, and the ocean trout, kids love the lasagne and the double packs of chicken slices in the chiller section. I always end up spending at least $300 I know but its so much fun!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it awesome for non-perishables like detergent, laundry powder, paper towels, etc. You buy in bulk and it lasts for ages. We do a big Costco shop maybe every three months just to stock up on stuff.

The first time I went I took a price list of what we'd usually pay at Coles. Most stuff was significantly cheaper; sometimes the savings were well over half price off. I nearly fell over when I compared the tuna, which was almost a third of the price!

Some of their stock also seems to be on a rotation or something. We'll buy something one shop and then it won't be there at all the next, but then it comes back a few months later. A minor inconvenience at best.

Ooh, and they stock nappies for a decent price. Not much different to regular grocery store prices, but they have nice big boxes that last much longer. And then you can use them for play time!

Their meat selection is pretty vast, but it's expensive, often moreso than at your local butcher. Their fruit and veg is decently priced but it is in bulk so there's a potential for waste. (Their cakes are enormous. Monster-sized cakes. Just an observation. Seriously, they're huge.)

It's worth a look. It's a bit difficult because you have to pay to get in and, as far as I know, they don't offer sneak peaks or anything like that. If you know someone with a membership you can pop in with them for a browse, but otherwise you're stuck with paying the fee. We got one membership for our household and we take our parents with us so they can stock up too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Costco baby wipes are the. Best. Thing. Ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've been a few times, but haven't bought a huge amount of stuff. We'll save loads just on fuel.

We were also told you can cancel your membership at any time and they will offer you a full refund, no questions asked.