+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    We were failsafe for about four years and now still watch additives. It was very overwhelming at first but this shopping list helped a lot - even if you don't go failsafe, it might be of some help.

http://fedup.com.au/information/shopping-list/blog
    Thanks! That list is great!! Have bookmarked it and will definitely use it at my next shop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Do you know if there are any additive free stocks or tinned tomato alternative that I could get? A lot of the dinners I cook have some stock or tomato puree/crushed tomatoes in it. We do eat a lot of basic meat and veg dinners and I pretty much never use jarred foods like recipe bases so that part is easy and I can make my own muesli bars, popcorn, muffins and snack foods for the kids. The biggest hurdle I think will be the stock and also ds1 loves ham so removing that might be hard.

It's incredibly easy to make your own stock. We make our own Chicken and Beef Stock and always have a heap in the freezer (500ml containers). Once a month - or maybe 2 months depending how quick you use it, you could do a stock up and freeze it down. Raw chicken bones (lennards cheap as), onion, carrot, celery - done!

I wonder if Ham off the bone is a better alternative? I'm not sure - I have to look into that myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unless organic even ham on the bone usually has nitrates and other preservatives - my BIL has a butcher shop and even though he gets ham on the bone and fresh roasted turkey the packet it came in still said nitrates for the ham and MSG for the turkey - the one good thing about buying ham on the bone is that legally Australia can only import ham not on a bone so at least you know its Australian

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ^^i do the same with turkey