+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Going additive free

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm wanting to go additive and preservative free for my DS1 to see if it improves his behaviour but have no idea where to start. I've read up on it a little and I'm just confused as to what is safe and what isn't. How do I know what numbers are ok and which aren't? How do I tell which ingredients are ok and which aren't if the whole word is listed and not a number.

Does anyone have an easy list I could print to refer to when shopping? Or a good link that would help?

I have looked a little into the failsafe and elimination diets but they seem so full on so I think I'll try additive free first and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really have any specific lists for you, but I went preservative/additive free for my own health, and basically the easiest way to know what the right food is to avoid most things that come in a packet. I followed the antihistamine diet, and basically it's just sensible clean eating. Fresh fruit and veg, protein like nuts, fresh fish and meat, minimal dairy, minimal refined carbs. Definitely no prepackaged stocks, recipe bases, sauces, canned soups, flavoured rice crackers, 2 minute noodles, cordials, etc. Basically, go for food in it's most natural and plain state. Hope it goes well for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://fedup.com.au/information/info...ves-to-avoid-2

This is an easy list plus there are a few apps you can buy so you can check when you are at the supermarket

The easiest way to do it is to cut out all processed or packet foods , frozen foods, jarred foods ( vegemite and spreads) sauces and stocks , deli meats or just make sure they are additive free by really studying the labels - peanut butter is a great example - just make sure the ingredients say 100% peanuts and nothing else

After a while you will work out which products are ok - the fed up and additive alert websites are great and I would recommend buying the additive alert book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    Do you know if there are any additive free stocks or tinned tomato alternative that I could get? A lot of the dinners I cook have some stock or tomato puree/crushed tomatoes in it. We do eat a lot of basic meat and veg dinners and I pretty much never use jarred foods like recipe bases so that part is easy and I can make my own muesli bars, popcorn, muffins and snack foods for the kids. The biggest hurdle I think will be the stock and also ds1 loves ham so removing that might be hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://thestockmerchant.com.au/products/

I use these ones when I don't make my own - my butcher gets them in for me , I think there might be a Woolies macro one that's additive free as well

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

twolittlemunchkins  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://thestockmerchant.com.au/products/

I use these ones when I don't make my own - my butcher gets them in for me , I think there might be a Woolies macro one that's additive free as well
    Thanks! There are some yum looking recipes on that website too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Download the additive alert app if you have a smart phone
    Join Sue Dengates Facebook group

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Download the additive alert app if you have a smart phone
    Join Sue Dengates Facebook group
    Just downloaded that app, thanks! It will be really helpful. I'm already a member of the Sue Dengates Facebook group but finding it confusing as everyone seems to be gluten free, dairy free amines or salicalytes (sp?) free as well which I find overwhelming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    We were failsafe for about four years and now still watch additives. It was very overwhelming at first but this shopping list helped a lot - even if you don't go failsafe, it might be of some help.

http://fedup.com.au/information/shopping-list/blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Beware of the 5% labelling loophole.

Oil used an ingredient typically in biscuits often contains an unlisted preservative. It is legal for it to be unlisted as it is less than 5% of the ingredient.

Arnotts biscuits are okay, but other brands quite often contain oil preservatives. It sends my kids loopy.
    Thanks for that. Geez they don't make things easy do they? I pretty much only buy Arnotts already if I do buy the kids biscuits, which is rare. But will keep it in mind if other biscuits are around