+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This post has got me thinking and perhaps my almost 3yo DD has a gluten intolerance. She rarely has formed poos and her father is gluten intolerant too. She fights sleep so much to the point she stopped day naps at 20 months old and even now getting her to bed is a struggle.
    I may have to do gluten elimination diet which is going to be hard when she looooves weetbix, porridge and toast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just looking into gluten free diet info and what can they have for breakfast!? My son loves his cereal and toast etc too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plenty of gf food out there
    It's making me wonder if I should swap my nearly 3 yr old to gf too, I'm gf at this point as pregnancy flares my ibs and gf is easier for me to tolerate.
    He is intermittently mushy or hard :/

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleep81 View Post
    Thank you ladies! You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I was expecting. I think I'll book him in Monday morning.

I have IBS so wouldn't be surprised if he has something similar

He has no pain or foamy poo, no blood or mucas. Just not formed, sloppy (ewwww)

Thank you for all being so understanding
    If you have IBS then it's highly likely this is your son's problem too. Have you looked into fructose malabsorption at all? There are several types of sugars that can be malabsorbed, fructose and lactose are two but there are others. You can have a breath test done to confirm it, I would ask the gp for a referral for a "hydrogen breath test". Only certain places can test kids, in Melbourne I had it done at the royal children's hospital.

DD6 always had sloppy poos, she was already dairy free because of an allergy but it vastly improved after we took her off wheat. She then had recurrent bouts of "gastro" which nobody else seemed to get, and she was finally diagnosed about 18m ago.

Is there ever a funny smell from his poos? Sorry if this is tmi but DD6's used to have an acidic smell, almost like nail varnish.

If you Google FODMAP diet or Sue Shepherd, you'll find a lot of information.

**As you read this, you are traveling at 220 kilometres per second across the galaxy**
    Last edited by Gothel; 05-07-2014 at 11:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was just looking into gluten free diet info and what can they have for breakfast!? My son loves his cereal and toast etc too.
    Dd6 has oats or cornflakes, or she can tolerate spelt bread (ancient grains do a loaf that is similar in texture to wheat bread). Eggs are good too.

If you want to be really strict then you can buy gluten free oats, but the gluten is minimal in normal oats - it's only present because the oat crop is rotated with wheat crops in the fields.

**As you read this, you are traveling at 220 kilometres per second across the galaxy**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks miss e.

What did you do to rectify it? Just cut out all dairy?
    You don't have to cut out all dairy to avoid lactose. Lactose free milk & yogurt is in every supermarket, and lots of dairy products are naturally low lactose. Check the nutrition panel - if the carbohydrates are less than 1g per 100 then it's low lactose. Hard cheeses are an example, they are usually well tolerated if you can't handle lactose
    And you can always buy Lactase from the chemist, it's an enzyme to digest milk. That's how they make lactose free milk, just add lactase.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Kleep81  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    For those who suspect intolerances and are doing elimination diets, do you also look into healing the gut? An intolerance (not allergy) can often be outgrown as the gut matures and you can help this process by giving foods like slow cooked bone broth and natural fermented foods. I am just learning about this stuff myself but just wanted to encourage you all to look into it. X

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Kleep81  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I had the exact same situation so at 2.5 yrs I saw a paed got him tested for coeliac. Was negative. I'd tried a gluten free diet too and it made no difference. He's otherwise fine, bit of mild eczema but I had that as a kid too. So they told me it is what it is and I've thought no more about it. I don't think it's a dairy thing either. He was always fine with formula, no reflux as a baby, and no tummy pain etc. Moved easily onto cows milk at 12 months old. So I've stopped worrying about it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Kleep81 - can I ask, when you say sloppy, are they runny like diarrhoea or is it more like a 'paste'? (Gross but like a curry paste for eg?)

My DS who is also 3 has also never had a 'formed' poo... They sometimes look formed when he does them on the toilet but that's because they haven't been squished in his nappy... I was wondering the same thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAgirl yeah it's pasty - good analogy