+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The things I did differently:
    - took DD to the toilet every 30 min or so. Did not 'ask' her as I don't believe they recognise that they need to go until it is too late. Playing is more fun than going to the toilet so they will always choose that first.
    - didn't use a potty. I found my kids were more responsive to the normal toilet with a small seat insert.
    - don't worry about poo. Get wee trained first, a lot of kids continue to poo in nappies while they work it out. Just ensure they eat lots of fibre and softening foods because if the poo hurts when it is coming out it can scare them, and they may associate that with the toilet. I use to give a pear or a prune each day just to keep her regular.
    Otherwise rewards, consistency and lots of singing, dancing and celebrating. Never get angry about an accident. Try make it fun even though it's a painful process.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    The things I did differently:
    - took DD to the toilet every 30 min or so. Did not 'ask' her as I don't believe they recognise that they need to go until it is too late. Playing is more fun than going to the toilet so they will always choose that first.
    - didn't use a potty. I found my kids were more responsive to the normal toilet with a small seat insert.
    - don't worry about poo. Get wee trained first, a lot of kids continue to poo in nappies while they work it out. Just ensure they eat lots of fibre and softening foods because if the poo hurts when it is coming out it can scare them, and they may associate that with the toilet. I use to give a pear or a prune each day just to keep her regular.
    Otherwise rewards, consistency and lots of singing, dancing and celebrating. Never get angry about an accident. Try make it fun even though it's a painful process.
    This!!!!! Put a timer on for 15-30min. Go every time. Fill her up with water so she needs to go frequently.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies, I'll try the hourly potty trip and see how that goes.

Getting water into her like getting blood from a stone, so I'll try some super diluted juice and extra milk.

My main worry is what to do when out and about. When can we leave the house with a minimal risk of accidents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey Allie. Trust your gut. If after a week you are worried, your tot is still having accidents, you are getting frustrated etc.... Don't be afraid to pull the plug on it.

As you know I started (hindsight) too early with my boy. It was hard. Accidents galore. In hindsight... His language... Specifically lack of articulation when he was about to go/had gone was a key red flag that he wasn't ready. But once we had started he wouldn't go back into nappies during the day.

If you find things aren't working don't be afraid of winding back your efforts and trying again in 2-5 months.

Regarding going out... I was very nervous in the early days. I flat out didn't trust my toddler as he hadn't proven himself in terms of control and wee'ing on the toilet. Now he has improved greatly with doing wee's on the toilet. I am heaps more familiar with his toilet habits and can guess what his accident triggers are. We put him in pull ups when we go out. However for whatever reason he doesn't wee in them: his strike rate of using the toilet is higher when we are out in public and he is in pull ups.

I think my point is that you will
    Know when you feel comfortable and confident in your toddlers toileting in public. And don't be afraid to wind it back or use a compromise like pull ups if needed.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I gave up after dd's 3rd birthday! It just wasn't happening and she couldn't hold and would just have accidents.
    We had been trying on and off for a year so I suppose she knew what the toilet was all about, but she had never even done a wee in the toilet, she would just sit there, at one point (around 2.5yo) she would pull her nappy off and go wee outside, like the dogs apparently
    It was all such a struggle and I never thought she would "get it"
    It would have been about 3 months after her 3rd birthday and I was doing some house work, I could hear a trickling of water and though SH!T the washing machine is leaking again, but it was dd going to the toilet, I nearly passed out with shock.
    Since then we have not had 1 accident, we have been at the shops and she will say she needs to go but she will happily hold until we can get to a toilet.
    If I even have to go down the toilet training road again I'll just educate on what the toilet is for, do "toilet time" and just put them on the toilet for a little bit each day with no expectations just so they can get a feel for it, make it all fun and exciting and wait for them to show me when they are ready.

So for dd one day it just clicked, out of no where she was ready.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'll have no qualms about leaving it again for a while or even using training nappies. Hopefully if we have to do that, DD won't mind having training pants or nappies back.

She did a poo in her nappy last night, but as someone one here said, that can come next.

We will keep DD home today and tomorrow and try the more fluids and 1 hour thing, then she's at MILs in Tuesday and as you all know from my OP she and my parents think its the right time, so at least she will have a change of scenery on Tuesday, then Thursday with my parents and I'll keep her home the other days. If by Friday its not looking like its working we will try training pants.

An everyone says its meant to be easier to train kids and have them in underwear.... My thoughts are nappies are sooooo much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I'll have no qualms about leaving it again for a while or even using training nappies. Hopefully if we have to do that, DD won't mind having training pants or nappies back.

She did a poo in her nappy last night, but as someone one here said, that can come next.

We will keep DD home today and tomorrow and try the more fluids and 1 hour thing, then she's at MILs in Tuesday and as you all know from my OP she and my parents think its the right time, so at least she will have a change of scenery on Tuesday, then Thursday with my parents and I'll keep her home the other days. If by Friday its not looking like its working we will try training pants.

An everyone says its meant to be easier to train kids and have them in underwear.... My thoughts are nappies are sooooo much easier!
    Lol nappies are easier until they get the hang of it. Now I look at the rows of DS2's tiny little undies and am dreading the thought of going back to nappies for bubba!

Another strategy I read about is to train a favourite doll/teddy so they have a training partner. I haven't done this myself but it's all about showing them the ropes and getting excited when teddy does poos and wees in the toilet cos he's a big teddy now! May be worth a try as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Lol nappies are easier until they get the hang of it. Now I look at the rows of DS2's tiny little undies and am dreading the thought of going back to nappies for bubba!

Another strategy I read about is to train a favourite doll/teddy so they have a training partner. I haven't done this myself but it's all about showing them the ropes and getting excited when teddy does poos and wees in the toilet cos he's a big teddy now! May be worth a try as well

I love that tip! I'll try and do that I think.

Today hasn't really gone well. She seems almost scared to go on the potty. Her body language says she needs to go, but each time she's on there, she's just very uncomfortable then ends up having an accident 5-10 minutes later.

She has already also asked for her nappy back too.

I'm going to buy some training pants, leave the potty out and use your tip chippa and continue to talk to her about the potty.

DH is happy we tried and happy to do this too. I'm sure we will get the 9th(??) degree from the grandparents, but I don't really care. I think it could also just be too close to DS arriving too.

I'll be sure to come back to this thread again the next time we try! 😊 Thank you all so much.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about trying the toilet? My kids hated the potty so we went straight to toilet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    What about trying the toilet? My kids hated the potty so we went straight to toilet.
    Yeah my boys were straight onto the toilet we bypassed the potty completely. DS1 used it once then after I cleaned it out he took it out into the backyard and filled it up with sand

Didn't even bother with a potty for DS2 as he got his inspiration from his older brother!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2014)