+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD just refused to wear nappies, just before she turned 2. That was it, she has been TT since that day.
    Your DD sounds very ready to me. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Can it ever be too late to train? As in, is it bad fir toddlers if they're ready and not trained?

Also when you started, did you stay home for the first few days? What do you do if you're somewhere without a potty ir kids toilet? Do you just hold them over the toilet? Also do they wipe themselves from the start or do they generally need assistance?
    Dd1 was TT by 16-17mths old. Dd2 by 21-22mths old. For my kids the best age is 12-14mths as I felt I missed the boat a bit with my youngest and that's why it took so long. Both night trained at 24-25mths old.

I still wipe dd2s bum at 25mths old but my 4yo does it herself but I check. She had a nasty UTI some time last year from wiping incorrectly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I ask exactly how you all went about toilet training and how you did it?

I have no idea where to even start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest wasn't ready until after he turned 3 and he was day trained in a week. Nights were harder; he was a heavy wetter right up until 4.5yrs.
    I'm actually relieved you wrote this. I've had soooooo much pressure about my eldest boy regarding toileting (he's just not ready). Just made me feel like I was being a really slack parent.

My second boy is 2 years old. Not only did he start announcing it ("Me poo!") but starting drawing with it. He is day trained now on the toilet (didn't like the potty) but we need to put nappies on him at night with a onesie on otherwise he just strips off completely and we find little brown masterpieces on the wall in the morning... I'm really hoping it's a sign of a great artist and not a penchant for poo.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    I'm actually relieved you wrote this. I've had soooooo much pressure about my eldest boy regarding toileting (he's just not ready). Just made me feel like I was being a really slack parent.

My second boy is 2 years old. Not only did he start announcing it ("Me poo!") but starting drawing with it. He is day trained now on the toilet (didn't like the potty) but we need to put nappies on him at night with a onesie on otherwise he just strips off completely and we find little brown masterpieces on the wall in the morning... I'm really hoping it's a sign of a great artist and not a penchant for poo.....
    Oh that was me that wrote that! Don't worry I copped plenty of flack for him not being trained earlier. I just didn't want to put that kind of pressure on him before he was ready. Once he got the idea it was a piece of cake as he was clearly ready. You're his mum you do what you feel is best

Razzy Bear I started by just taking my eldest to the toilet with me (charming hey!) and talking about how wees and poos go in there. Then I told him we are going to try nappy free today and popped him on the loo at different times. He was a bit hit and miss to start with but he soon got the idea. He also HATED the feeling of wee running down his leg so that helped. Just lots of discussion around the toilet, smiles, hugs and praise made the difference for us. You'll soon know if your little one is ready or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone recommend any picture books on toilet training?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We have Who's in the Loo, On Your Potty and one by Mo Willems I think it's called It's Time to Pee. My son loved the last one. You can get one with a sticker chart. I liked it best too as it told it like it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    For DS1 signs he was ready was he would always ask me to change his nappy straight after a poo.. this led to him doing all of his poos on the toilet and then he started getting wees on there.

He started at 18 months and I had to hold him over the toilet until we bought a kids seat to put on top. I still helped him with his pants and taking his nappy off.

About 2 months after he turned 2 he told me he wanted big boy undies like Daddy and I took him shopping the next day and he has worn them since. The next day he asked to wear them at night as well so I let him.

I could never go through putting them in undies and expecting them to get it in a few days. Too much cleaning involved.

DS2 has started going to the potty a few times a day for wees and most of his poos. It is not consistent and I'm not expecting anything from him yet. His speech isn't as good as DS1'S was. He comes to me and says "eh eh" and expects me to follow him to help.

"Insert witty signature here"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion is do what you are comfortable with, your child will go along with whatever you teach them. I started toilet training my son when he was 18 months after my mother told me that I was trained at 13 months, the done thing back then. He took to it really well and stopped wearing nappies from the first day. Of course there were accidents but not as many as I expected. He has been trained day and night since 2.5 and now at 3.5 will take himself to the toilet at night and wipe his own bottom. I was at home with him for his first 2 years which did make it easier. They are all trained eventually, so I say do it when you are ready. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    So I'm due for bub #2 in 5 weeks, so we bit the bullet and started 'toilet training' today.

A while ago I had bought a toilet training pack from woollies that came with a book for DD to read, a poster, some stickers and a parents guide.

So for the last week we read the book to her (about 20 times a day), it's about how nappies are for babies and the character in the book is now a big girl who wears underwear and goes through every step of the process.

Yesterday I took her to target and she chose some princess and peppa pig undies and away we went today. She was up at 7:00 and every morning she usually 95% of the time has a poo in her nappy! but this morning she didn't (when this happens she either poos before her 1pm nap or right before her bath at 6:45).

She did a pee about 10am in the kitchen so I carried her to the potty and tried to get her to stand up to take her underwear off, but she put her legs out as if to sit, so DH had to come and take them off her, but by then she was done and had nothing left for the potty. We did high fives and told her, well done.

She then did a pee during her nap into a nappy, then another pee accident about 5:30, but no poo at all, though she sat on the potty for a while after her pee where I encouraged her to do a poo, but no go (so she hasn't pooed since Friday morning and did 3 weeks today, 2 accident and a sleepy nappy one.

Does it sound like we are on track? We are trying the whole stay at home for 3 days straight in knickers and take her to the potty each time she looks like she will pee or poo, we also ask her at intervals if she either wants to sit on the potty or if she needs a wee or a poo, plus we read her the book a lot throughout the day.

Should we expect an improvement tomorrow?