+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Signs YOUR toddler was ready for toilet training

My DD is 28 months old and for her naps and when she wakes up in the morning, she takes off her clothes and nappy, the whole lot.

She tells me when she's doing a poopy or has done one.

When we ask her where do you do poo poos and wee wees, she says in the potty.

She also told me the other day that nappies are for babies.

I'm not sure if that means she is ready or if its because she gets looked after by both sets if grand parents, both who have already bought a potty for her and who have both been doing on about how its time / she's ready for toilet training.

So what signs did everyone elses bubs give that they were ready and did it turn out to be the right time to train them / turn out to be an easy process?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We didnt get signs she simply jist started using the potty alone. She toilet trained herself day and night by 30 months old and just last weeks started doing poos on the toilet she is 3 years and 4 months old and completely trained.

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014),VicPark  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds (then aged 2.5 yrs) came home from daycare saying 'no more nappy'. 3 days later he refused to wear a night nappy so I agreed. I think he had 3 accidents in the next 8 months and that was it. Dd (aged 27 months) has sat on the toilet at daycare, sat on the toilet at home but is not that interested yet. I don't like using a potty as I think it's just an extra step in the process and no one else in her life sits on a potty so I don't wish to confuse her. I'll wait till she asks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 started telling me "Poo coming mum!"

I would say "Do you want to sit on the toilet" and he'd say NOOOOOOOOO!

Then one day about a month after he turned 2 he told me there was a poo coming so I asked him and he said yes! That was the start of our toilet training. He's now 2yrs 5 months and fully trained. Took him about a month to stop having accidents. He's trained himself in the night but I still put a pull up nappy on him and call them sleeping undies! Even though he's dry every morning I'm not ready to deal with wet beds again yet! Daycare really helped my boy, plus he was OBSESSED with watching his big brother use the loo.

My oldest wasn't ready until after he turned 3 and he was day trained in a week. Nights were harder; he was a heavy wetter right up until 4.5yrs.

They are all different and she will get there!

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014),Mrs Tickle  (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 was the easiest to train and she showed more obvious signs, around 23 months she started waking up with a dry nappy, 1st after a nap and then in the mornings too. She would follow me into the toilet and ask to have a turn after I had been.

Also she would tell me she had done a poo before she actually had done it - ie come to me saying "poos nappy" and I check and there would be nothing there, 1st couple of times she did this and then 5 or 10 minutes later I'd realise she had actually done a poo so from then on I started sitting her on the toilet when she told me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    6 months on and my just over 2.5 year old DS is 90% trained. In hindsight we started too young. Signs/steps I will watch out for with ds2 prior to starting (which I didn't with DS1) are:
    - can pull pants and undies up and down
    - knows the steps involved in toileting (pants down, wee, flush, wash hands etc). A good book or simply shadowing mum and dad will help.
    - tells me quite regularly when a wee or poo has been done. Like at least 60% of the time...
    - has a good vocabulary (can articulate when a wee/poo is done and can understand -not just parrot- when I ask him if a wee or poo has been done)

Good luck!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont think there is a right/wrong time. if you think she might be ready take a chance and try toilet training her, if she just doesnt want to go to the toilet and it just turns into a nightmare stop and try again in a few months. i took my daughter to the shops let her pick some undies, took her home put them on, told her that wees and poos need to go in the toilet now, had about a week of accidents and that was it. she gave no real signs she was ready, just though she seemed like she might be ok with it. turns out she was. she was about 26 months old.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewMummyofLittleGirl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp. just give it a go.
    my son is 2 yrs and 10 months, very bright and can talk as well as any 3/4 yr old and understand, but he is so lazy and stubborn about the potty.
    Im 32 weeks pregnant and it has been a pretty draining time so I've not had the energy to really focus on persuading him. I started to and he was waking dry and we were doing ok and then he got sick and had allergies and started waking up wet again.
    hes very random with number twos as well. For now I don't have the perseverance factor so I'll wait until after the baby is born I think.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone!

Can it ever be too late to train? As in, is it bad fir toddlers if they're ready and not trained?

Also when you started, did you stay home for the first few days? What do you do if you're somewhere without a potty ir kids toilet? Do you just hold them over the toilet? Also do they wipe themselves from the start or do they generally need assistance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Can it ever be too late to train? As in, is it bad fir toddlers if they're ready and not trained?

Also when you started, did you stay home for the first few days? What do you do if you're somewhere without a potty ir kids toilet? Do you just hold them over the toilet? Also do they wipe themselves from the start or do they generally need assistance?
    I don't think it can be too late. I think it can certainly be too early but if training late is what happens then so be it.

In the early days of training pull ups for shopping trips are essential. I always put mine into pull ups then took them straight to the loo in the shops. I had a folding seat for DS1 but never bothered with it for number 2 as he just worked out how to hold himself up and lean forward so he didn't fall in

As for wiping I only have boys but DS1 couldn't wipe his own bum til he was in preschool. I wipe for DS2 and he's fully trained. Not sure about girls sorry!

HTH