+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I just wanted to pop in and give you some encouragement. Yes, as you know stress, anxiety and adrenaline can interfere with all the love hormones of labour. BUT I promise you will not be pregnant forever! You will go into labour. If you find a way to limit some of your anxiety it may happen a little bit quicker but one way or another it will happen. It actually already IS happening! Everyone's labour is different (and it almost never happens like in the movies). I get a very strong feeling that your baby and your body are just giving you a long slow prelabour to give you a chance to get ready. You are being given the chance to prep yourself just a little bit more. Maybe you need a day or two more to prep for labour or maybe your baby is just giving you time to paint your toenails and fit the car seat!!!
    I know you say you struggle with your breathing. It must be frustrating for everyone to keep saying you can do it when you feel like you can't but it's just because we all have faith in you. Can you practice relaxed breathing when you are not anxious? I used to practice first thing in the morning. Maybe try that. Or just forget the breathing and forcing yourself to relax. Just do relaxing things! Swimming, yoga, massage, foot rub from your partner. My labour started after a nice day spent just hanging out with my DH. He cooked me dinner and made me feel very cared for.... Then bang! Labour! But I will bet $10 it won't happen on your due date.... I'll cross my fingers for you it will be the day after.
    Good luck!
    X

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone!

I have that lower back pain again this evening, so fingers crossed something is starting to happen!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm guessing you've tried it before but have you tried counting as you breathe - in for a count of four, hold for two, out for a count of four then pause for two. Sometimes counting can help to give you something to focus on and you can set the speed to what you feel you need to get enough air. And breathing in and out at the same rate can help to keep the balance if co2 and oxygen in check because when that is out you can end up feeling worse.
    All the best for your labour!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing seems to be happening today, but hopefully it's soon, I'm so excited about meeting our little one!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Breathing exercises make me have panic attacks cause it feels like im not getting enough air.

I was told by the midwife at antenatal classes that anxiety & stress will stop labour. So how is it even going to start when im already having panic attacks?

The Mothers metabolism also plays a part in triggering labour, when your body canno longer safely expend the amount of energy, nutrients etc growing a baby, the body will start the labour process, so it IS in part a purely biological process, however, adrenaline and stress hormones in the blood****** can slow the process down somewhat, and possibly stall labour somewhat.

http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy-new...trol-gestation

Growing a fetus takes tons of calories. Expecting women increase calorie intake by about 300 calories a day, if they are following the general obstetric guidelines, for a singlet pregnancy. These extra calories are used to supply the energy needed for placental development, uterine growth and fetal growth, but there is only so much the human body can handle. Holly Dunsworth of the University of Rhode Island claims the human body stops gestation and starts the labor process when a pregnant woman’s body reaches the metabolic limit.

The metabolic limit is the point at which the body can no longer spend any more energy, safely, on the growing fetus. The body triggers labor because further growth would place undue strain on the pregnant woman. This theory is in direct contrast to theories that claimed hip breadth limited gestational age to 40 weeks.

The new theory is called Energetics, Gestation and Growth or EGG for short. The basic premise is simple. Mom carries the fetus until her body is about to cross into the metabolic red zone and then labor starts. EGG is not based on the amount of calories a woman takes in during pregnancy, but the amount of calories her body can transform into energy and burn for fetal growth.
    If you can work on trying to absolutely 100% surrender to the process, almost like taking your brain out of your body, and simply allowing the biological processes to run unchecked, it gives your body the very best chance of being able to complete the labour process without inteference.

Have you read up on the fear - tension - pain cycle? The big part is letting go of fear, to reduce tension, and therefore pain messages.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 04-07-2014 at 10:22.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @heartstringz, I know you've had a lot of anxiety during your pregnancy. I just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best. It must be getting very exciting for you now. Now too long until you meet you little bubba!

The breathing thing to relax takes practice. It's not long breaths as much as it is deep, meaning breathing from your diaphragm. Long shallow breathing, i.e. chest breathing, will make your anxiety worse. What helps me when I've had anxiety attacks is holding in my mind the knowledge that it doesn't last. Like any other emotion, it is fleeting, so acknowledge the unpleasant sensations, then let them go and try to focus on something else.

Thinking of you! Good luck with everything!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the breathing tips ladies, I will do some practice

Thanks meredithgray, definitely making sure I dont sit around, I had visitors this morning & going to go for a good walk this arvo!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used clary sage
    Did acupressure
    And fit ball
    And kept going out to shops a lot

Thanks
    Reviews