+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've read Lean In - it's a very "basic" read. You could knock it off in a few hours. Some of her advice is very unrealistic unless you can afford a nanny. Some parts are interesting. Not worth buying though. Mine was free!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ha ha thanks @kw123 - good thing you didn't have to pay for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really resented the way she wrote the article as if she represented the majority of women.

Yeah, this. She is doing absolutely nothing to advance gender equality and women's roles in society, sounds like she's in bed with Tony Abbott quite frankly.

I don't have a partner at all and I haven't become a crap employee since having kids. I've done the opposite, by building up a career, which I didn't have pre-kids. Of course some things become less feasible now, like jetting off at a moment's notice, but my job doesn't require that. Neither do many, if not most, others.

And WHY is it just continually accepted that it's a woman's place to take all the hits she talks about? Why does the author put up with her husband working round the clock if it bothers her so much? Why is it just automatically assumed that women will make the sacrifices while men keep on going as though they never had a child at all? Why do women like this not only put up with it, but CONDONE it??

We don't all become incompetent as working mothers. Some of us, yes, too many of us put up with the unfairness of career and financial disadvantage as a result, but this is not due to the innate inability of women to switch between tasks & roles, as the author claims. What a load of BS. It's due to the entitlement society gives to too many men to have the privilege of parenting without the sacrifice made by too many women. If that makes any sense.

This is definitely a reflection of one woman's experience applied, inaccurately, to *all* working mothers. And to be blunt, if it takes the author 3 hours of a morning to get the kids ready there is something seriously wrong with her time management skills.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (20-07-2014),hangingupsidedown  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MermaidSister that was awesome! agree with all of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm, I wonder why she thinks it's harder for women to proceed in the workforce after children than men?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I honestly know that I am better in my career post children.

It gave me a comfidence and a purpose I didn't have. Plus I have stopped all the fluffing around and get the job done in a very efficient way.

Yes my non parents colleagues spend hours discussing footy, soccer, horse racing etc or discussing which option to chose for a project over a coffee.
    In that time I have finished said project and going home at 5 when they are only starting to work

It looks like they are doing massive hours when they send emails late and over the week end but I know that they are just wasting their office working hours

Lucky lots of managers in my job are parents and see right though it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was appalled by most of the article. I'm not yet working but in negotiations to start working again so can't put personal experience to it as yet.

The only part of the article I liked was "give a mother a sleeping baby for an hour and she will get 10 times more done than a childless employee"

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ha ha i liked that part too!